2012 Frontier Pro4x CC expedition/overland type build

projected

Adventurer
Hello All,

In the last week or so I lucky enough to get involved in the Shrockworks group buy (thanks to Scalpel4 for arranging!) over at clubfrontier and researched the crap out of lift options.

From Shrockworks I am getting: Front/Rear bumper, sliders, and full skids

I just ordered from Nisstec the Radflo Extended Travel Ultimate Kit. I plan to lift the front about 2” with SPC UCA’s and extended Radflo 2.0’s. The rear I’m planning on 1.5-2.0” from Deaver AAL’s. My stock leafs are still in great shape so I figured the AAL’s would be good for now. Later I may do a custom pack if needed and depending on how much weight I end up hauling around.

Future plans are for a cab high topper/cap, possibly a roof top tent, refrigerator, on board air compressor, and a way to carry some water.
I also plan to get a winch. For my needs and not anticipating using it often I was thinking about an 8k with synthetic line like the Smittybilt XRC8. I haven’t researched these at all yet so not sure.

For camping gear I think I'm going to get a cassette toilet, shower tent, a portable propane water heater/shower setup, and some other things.

I also need to get up to speed on extraction equipment and techniques for using the winch, ect.

Any advice on my plans is welcome. I’ll post pics as I go along.

I posted this clubfrontier too as I used that site for much of my research.

I've been on this site lurking way to much the last month, I think I'm obsessed :wings:

Mo4130

Adventurer
If you want to go with a legit overlanding setup, OME full leaf kit and be done. I have learned that you just do it right the first time, then you are done and can get out and explore instead of constantly trying to modify the rig.

zukrider

Explorer
Welcome and congrats on the purchase. have a look at thenewx.org. great site. dig around and you will find quite a few NM types roaming that site. best bet for extraction training is to get with some knowledgable wheelers and go extract! join a local club and set up a winching clinic. great way to meet new people and learn some fun new stuff!

projected

Adventurer
If you want to go with a legit overlanding setup, OME full leaf kit and be done. I have learned that you just do it right the first time, then you are done and can get out and explore instead of constantly trying to modify the rig.

Thanks and I agree with what you are saying, but I'm not sure exactly what my weight requirements are going to be. I plan to weigh my truck prior to installing everything so I have a baseline to compare back to. With full skids, sliders, and bumpers plus a topper and all the other stuff I may add the weight is going to go up quickly. The AAL's I'm getting are only $80 bought seperately so even cheaper than that in the kit I'm getting. Obviously I have to factor in my install time but I'm not worried about that. Once I'm "done" with my mods I'll reassess how the truck handles and how much lift I need with the weight I have and most likely purchase the correct OME springs or get some custom Alcans.

Welcome and congrats on the purchase. have a look at thenewx.org. great site. dig around and you will find quite a few NM types roaming that site. best bet for extraction training is to get with some knowledgable wheelers and go extract! join a local club and set up a winching clinic. great way to meet new people and learn some fun new stuff!

Great idea. Back in 2000 when I lived in Denver I was wheeling with an Xterra group (I had a 2000 Xterra with open diffs). I learned so much about line selection, we went places that truly surprised guys in Jeeps. There is no replacement for proper instruction.

Snowman

Observer
Aaaaaaa.... where's the pictures? You know half of us can't read with out pictures right? We will be expecting them to be posted asap! Congrats on your group buy, i'm jealous, and welcome!

Sly tuna

Nice! Just picked up a New Pro-4x and am loving it. With the group buy, what did you end up paying for the set of Shrockworks?

shultzie

Observer
Hey excited to see where this build goes. I just picked up my Frontier 3 weeks ago and I'm going to start the slow build this summer. Stock pics are good so we can see what you start with!

safe travels :beer:

projected

Adventurer
Nice! Just picked up a New Pro-4x and am loving it. With the group buy, what did you end up paying for the set of Shrockworks?

Group buy was 10% off. Congrats on the new truck, I'm loving mine. EDIT: ACTUALLY IT WAS 15%

Hey excited to see where this build goes. I just picked up my Frontier 3 weeks ago and I'm going to start the slow build this summer. Stock pics are good so we can see what you start with!

safe travels :beer:

I'll post some stock pics too. I'm looking forward to checking out your build as well. Did you start a thread yet?

Last edited:

projected

Adventurer
I have been trying to decide between an ARE Z series, Leer 100XQ, and Snugtop Supersport toppers/caps. The price increases in order that I wrote the names. I had a supersport on my first gen Tacoma a while back and I loved it. What sealed the deal for the Snugtop was that for $200 more I can have Snugtop reinforce the roof at the factory when they manufacture it to increase the roof rack load capacity from 250lbs for the standard cap to 500lbs AND retain the exact same look as the standard supersport. With Leer I would have to go to a commercial cap that I don't care for the looks of to get near this capacity. On top of all this it seems that Snugtop has less issues overall with quality control verses Leer and ARE. All the brands have issues if you do your internet research but I feel confident that Snugtop is a great choice. Also I noticed that when talking to cap dealers today in CO & NM all of the salesmen I spoke to that sold Snugtop and Leer or ARE or some other brand had a Snugtop on their own vehicle.

I think that I've narrowed my RTT search down to two different options. The "expensive" option is the Autohome Maggiolina at around $3000 and the "cheap" (relatively speaking) option is the nylon Front Runner Feather-Lite at $1000.

I haven't found much in the way of recent reviews for the Feather-Lite but there is a fairly in depth review I found on this site from 2010. I thought there might be more talk about this tent though since then but no such luck. I like the low weight and low profile of this tent closed. I also like the nylon over canvas, but this is mainly because I have a familiarity and comfort level with nylon over canvas.

The Maggiolina looks great to me, I like everything about it other than the price.

I'll post up what I decide on and of course when I install something there will be pics.

Nisstec Lifts is shipping the complete lift out tomorrow so I may be able to install it as soon as this weekend :Wow1:
Any advice on RTT would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
As far as tents go, have a look at Cascadia Vehicle Tents (CVT).

CVT is based in Bend, OR and makes its tents there. I can attest to the high quality and great features. I recently got a CVT Mount Shasta (slightly bigger than the Featherlite) and it is awesome. Very heavy duty and durable. Best part is the price! The Mount Bachelor is only $950.

I've read great things about both of those tents as well. Just throwing out another option.

Mo4130

Adventurer
I would hazard to guess with skids rockers and cap would you be a perfect candidate for hd leaf packs. Might as well just do it once.

DragonX

Observer
I second the CVT tents are really nice! Also, your lift is. Going to be prefect for what you look like you are doing! I can't wait to see what you do with the truck. The only advise I can offer is be careful of over loading your truck. Not that it can't bear all the weight but that once you load it up its gonna take twice as much skinny pedal to push up and over things. I have seen this all to often in moab and a few other trips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior