2012 Chevy AWD Family Adventure Van

dleeallen

Adventurer
Thanks! Looks like it's basically the 97-04 F-150 4x4 application.

• Description: Expedition, Navigator. 4wd. F150. F250 pick-up.
  • Applications: 4WD - 1997-99 LD. 4WD - TORSION BAR. F150 1997-03, HERITAGE 2004 (4 WHEEL-DRIVE).

Famulus

Nice Van!

I own nearly the same in white/silver, but with low top.
Can you tell me the numbers of the bilstein shock absorbers? Are they longer than stock?
I want to do the same with my van.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

MoonMan

Nice Van!

I own nearly the same in white/silver, but with low top.
Can you tell me the numbers of the bilstein shock absorbers? Are they longer than stock?
I want to do the same with my van.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Bilstein 24-186643 on the front and Bilstein 24-185615 on the rear. I got the part numbers out of the GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread and confirmed it in a couple different posts. I believe they are longer than stock as they eliminate the shock extenders that come in some of the kits. Best of luck with your lift!

Smooshsh

Thanks! Getting 13-14 MPG with the 265s. There wasn't a huge change. I did have someone update the computer settings and shift points for the new tire size and that definitely helped the feel. I imagine it helped correct some of the MPG loss as well.
Mind me asking where I can get the computer settings for the new tire size from, Or who i can go to? Thanks in advance.

MoonMan

Mind me asking where I can get the computer settings for the new tire size from, Or who i can go to? Thanks in advance.
My mechanic recommended a local guy who was former chevy tech. He plugged into the van's computer and was able to adjust the tire size and adjusted some other settings with his laptop. I don't know what exactly he changed or how he did it. They were both into racing cars so maybe try and find someone like that and see if they can do the tune.

Smooshsh

Sounds like you have it figured out, torsion bars are pretty simple but are different from the "normal" spring type suspensions. Keys just allow you to twist the bar farther than stock!

Before you go out and buy new torsion keys there is always the option of just cranking your stock torsion keys. I got about 1.5-1.75" out of my stock keys.

With just keys and shocks I would stick to 2-2.5. If you want to go 2.5-3 you are going to need new upper control arms, I had a set of Cognito upper arms and they worked well.

If I were to do it again I (i overdid it and went a full 5.5" with drop brackets, custom steering knuckles, drag links, custom rear springs, etc, etc) I would:
*Run lift keys (F-150 stock or aftermarket)
*Install some Silverado Z71 bumpstops
*Buy some cognito upper control arms (skip the uniball style, mine squeaked incessentaly, as uniballs often do)
*Run Bilstien 5160 remote resivior shocks
*Crank it to 3"
*slap some suburban springs in the rear and stop messing with it.
If you don't mind me asking, what year suburban rear leaf springs will fit on the 03- up Express/ savana? I have blocks and i think I'm going to ditch it for springs. Thanks in advance.

Smooshsh

Sounds like you have it figured out, torsion bars are pretty simple but are different from the "normal" spring type suspensions. Keys just allow you to twist the bar farther than stock!

Before you go out and buy new torsion keys there is always the option of just cranking your stock torsion keys. I got about 1.5-1.75" out of my stock keys.

With just keys and shocks I would stick to 2-2.5. If you want to go 2.5-3 you are going to need new upper control arms, I had a set of Cognito upper arms and they worked well.

If I were to do it again I (i overdid it and went a full 5.5" with drop brackets, custom steering knuckles, drag links, custom rear springs, etc, etc) I would:
*Run lift keys (F-150 stock or aftermarket)
*Install some Silverado Z71 bumpstops
*Buy some cognito upper control arms (skip the uniball style, mine squeaked incessentaly, as uniballs often do)
*Run Bilstien 5160 remote resivior shocks
*Crank it to 3"
*slap some suburban springs in the rear and stop messing with it.
You happen to know the part number for the z71 bump stop or year i looking for? Thanks in advance

MoonMan

IMG-6328.JPG
Took the van out with some friends last Sunday up Maple Springs Truck Trail (Orange County, CA). Beautiful clear day and we felt like we could touch the clouds. Could see downtown LA and the local islands. The van handled great and was quite unique amongst the Jeeps and Tacomas.

86cj

Explorer
View attachment 573303
Took the van out with some friends last Sunday up Maple Springs Truck Trail (Orange County, CA). Beautiful clear day and we felt like we could touch the clouds. Could see downtown LA and the local islands. The van handled great and was quite unique amongst the Jeeps and Tacomas.

Nicely done, I think what you did gets you a great all around van. The interior can be tweaked as you find your needs, but its got most of what you need day one...

Any pics of the cognito upper arm sitting on the weight, not at full droop just resting. When the stock upper arms hit the frame on a drop off type bump it makes everything in the engine cover tray angry...........I cranked mine down a bit for that reason..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online