2012 Alucab Toyota Troopcarrier SOLD

Lucidless

All clean, and turnkey ready for its new owners. I can store it pretty indefinitely at my place if you’d like as well.
DFFC80F2-EE5F-4B89-9511-5B36EC35B4BF.jpeg
1DFCBF51-D6FE-4BF7-871D-04BA6443A90D.jpeg

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Quick question for you - sorry a bit off topic - it looks like (in Botswana at least) you can have a choice of the 4.2 1HZ engine and the newer diesel V8 turbo. We are the Toyota dealership and I was looking at their new models...

Do you know if the V8 work well with the lower grade diesel?

1656942021257.jpeg

Lucidless

I have a friend that is on his third V8 TD engine, he is in Namibia. I guess it’s sensitive to the various poor grades of diesel here, and you need to swap the intercooler or else the block will stretch if you’re doing serious dune driving often.

lots of my friends have sold their V8 TD’s for a 1HZ. That they proceed to install a low compression turbo, egr delete, and exhaust. Guess it gives the same power as the V8 then. I haven’t turboed mine, but another very very common swap is the 1HDT turbo diesel from the 1990’s prados and 80 series that came out of Japan. That engine like the 1HZ can run off peanut butter and still cruise good. Plus all the mines refuse to use the V8, same with the NGOs

and if the NGOs and mines aren’t using vehicles because they are problematic, it’s good to listen to that advice especially in Africa. The V8 is super popular in AUS, but they slap a ton of emissions controls on them.

Quick question for you - sorry a bit off topic - it looks like (in Botswana at least) you can have a choice of the 4.2 1HZ engine and the newer diesel V8 turbo. We are the Toyota dealership and I was looking at their new models...

Do you know if the V8 work well with the lower grade diesel?

View attachment 730109

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I have a friend that is on his third V8 TD engine, he is in Namibia. I guess it’s sensitive to the various poor grades of diesel here, and you need to swap the intercooler or else the block will stretch if you’re doing serious dune driving often.

lots of my friends have sold their V8 TD’s for a 1HZ. That they proceed to install a low compression turbo, egr delete, and exhaust. Guess it gives the same power as the V8 then. I haven’t turboed mine, but another very very common swap is the 1HDT turbo diesel from the 1990’s prados and 80 series that came out of Japan. That engine like the 1HZ can run off peanut butter and still cruise good. Plus all the mines refuse to use the V8, same with the NGOs

and if the NGOs and mines aren’t using vehicles because they are problematic, it’s good to listen to that advice especially in Africa. The V8 is super popular in AUS, but they slap a ton of emissions controls on them.

Thanks - that's what I had assumed, but I am still surprised to see many of them. I wonder if the V8TD sold here is different than the one sold in Australia.

In any case if I were to buy a new Land Cruiser here, I would go with the 1HZ.

Lucidless

Thanks - that's what I had assumed, but I am still surprised to see many of them. I wonder if the V8TD sold here is different than the one sold in Australia.

In any case if I were to buy a new Land Cruiser here, I would go with the 1HZ.

The V8 is nice from a tuning perspective, you can get 40% more power just with the click of a mouse. But they are touchy, can't go wrong with a 1HZ, they just don't give you trouble. I was on a guys farm near Etosha and he started a 1hz that's in his junk lot that hadn't run for over 12 years, the owners usually die before the engines do hahah

Jack Mac

Expedition Portal Staff Member
Staff member
Owner reached out and mentioned this Troopy is no longer for sale at present as he's decided to ship to Europe for an expedition. :) -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles