2011-2016 Ford F-250 SCSB 4x4 Gas 6.2 with Lance 865

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I have a 2011 f350 tiger 4x4 camper with the 6.2 gas motor and am getting about 14 mpg highway driving it. Once in a while it pushes up to 15 mpg hwy. It has plenty of power. Maybe you don’t need diesel?

Is that mileage from the truck's display - or hand calculated?

I maintain Excel spreadsheets for fuel usage for all of my vehicles and find that the vehicle displays in every case are very optimistic - usually by up to 2 mpg.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
“Is that mileage from the truck's display - or hand calculated?”

My best hand calculated mpg was 13.8 mpg highway on our fall trip across Texas

yesmad

Thanks all, I feel like I'm being buffeted by the Diesel vs. Gas storm. I'm enjoying researching everything.
Hypothetically...
What if I were to sometimes pull, for example, a TT with a wet weight of ~6000# with an F350 6.2 SRW along with the Lance 865 loaded on at the same time?

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
At sea level, not a problem- at 10,000’, maybe a little asthmatic- but still doable and safe being well within load parameters.
I’ve hauled Defenders all over the east coast crossing the mountains without issue. But crossing Vail pass at over 10k there was a very slight reduction in power, though still able to maintain speed...

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Thanks all, I feel like I'm being buffeted by the Diesel vs. Gas storm. I'm enjoying researching everything.
Hypothetically...
What if I were to sometimes pull, for example, a TT with a wet weight of ~6000# with an F350 6.2 SRW along with the Lance 865 loaded on at the same time?

As Rovertrader said, as long as you are at or near sea level, or on relatively flat ground, not a problem. Once you encounter elevation changes, especially up at altitude, the diesel with its low end torque and the turbo packing air into the engine make a huge difference.
I have both a Ford V-10, and a Dodge/Cummins dually. The dually hauls the camper and a Jeep on a trailer behind it. The gas V-10 has to shift down on every hill and you have to ask yourself - is that good for the transmission? And the engine just screams at ~ 4,000 rpm...and you can literally watch the gas gauge falling. The diesel just loafs along with no drama. No constant shifting, and the engine rarely gets above 2,000 rpm.
But to me the real kicker is the mileage. The gas V10 gets 12 mpg running empty; towing I'm looking at 8-9 mpg. The dually diesel, hauling camper and pulling the Jeep gets 13-14 mpg. Even with diesel being more expensive than gas (and right now, diesel is cheaper in some locations), that makes a difference. At 8 mpg that 36 gallon tank has me looking for fuel every 200 miles or less. At 13 mpg I can go 400 miles. And where I live, that makes a difference!

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
yesmad, I was hesitant to buy a new 90's GEN I Cummins diesel Dodge because of the anemic power when pulling heavy loads over hills and altitude. Yes, they are bullet proof with that dependable mechanical injection, but the drivetrain in the 90's left something to be desired. Most GEN I's are getting long in the tooth and high mileage; many in the 500K mile plus club. Then came 2001.5, and the GEN II High Output Cummins, when all my wants came to fruition. Because of the introduction of the NV-5600, 6-speed manual the Dana 80 rear axle upgraded to 35 splines; the engine was upped ( actually rescued from its detuned state, so as not to kill the trans to just tuned) in H.P. to 245; the TQ was upped to 505 pound feet, and the C.R. was raised back up 17.5. No other Mopar trans of that era could stand up to that torque. I bought it new in 2001, and have steadily built it up to carry our truck camper to weird and wacky places. The GEN II 24-valve engines have become the 'new' desirable Cummins because of their longevity over the GEN I's, availability, and lower miles on the clock. Oh, and no soot bag; catalytic muffler, or D.E.F. tanks hanging down under the passenger seat. jefe514984

Last edited:

yesmad

No other Mopar trans of that era could stand up to that torque. I bought it new in 2001, and have steadily built it up to carry our truck camper to weird and wacky places. The GEN II 24-valve engines have become the 'new' desirable Cummins because of their longevity over the GEN I's, availability, and lower miles on the clock.

Thanks Jefe, You are an inspiration! I will certainly be adding to my list the GEN II 24-valve Cummins.

I see in your thread "The old gal is being put out to pasture" that you may be getting the NorthStar Laredo SC. Does the Laredo also slide into a long bed? Also Jefe, what is your opinion of the Ram 2500 Ext. Cab Long Bed configuration?

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I'm with Jefe. My dually is a 2004, Cummins with the 6 speed NV5600 manual tranny. Rock solid drivetrain, dependable as the sunrise. I'll own this truck till I can no longer drive.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Hypothetically...

My work truck did that today. 11,000# utility body truck with the 6.2, towing a 6000# trailer.

Did fine. Locked out 6th gear, in tow/haul mode, cruise set to 70mph.

If the camper+ trailer, are under 10 000#'s together, don't worry about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles