2011-2016 Ford F-250 SCSB 4x4 Gas 6.2 with Lance 865

mightymike

Adventurer
I think I may have worded it wrong? Is the 24" from the bed of the truck to the bottom of the Lance cabover? IE about the same distance as from the bed of the truck to the top of your F250 cab? I thought it might be in the 40" range? Thanks!
Yes, bottom of the camper, essentially the same as the truck bed, to the bottom of the cabover. Is that what you needed?

There is about 1.5” between the bottom of the cabover and the top of the clearance lights on my cab so I put a 1” thick 4’x8’ styrofoam insulation board in the bed of the truck and set the camper on it to give it a bit more room. Much lighter than a sheet of plywood.

yesmad

Yes, bottom of the camper, essentially the same as the truck bed, to the bottom of the cabover. Is that what you needed?

There is about 1.5” between the bottom of the cabover and the top of the clearance lights on my cab so I put a 1” thick 4’x8’ styrofoam insulation board in the bed of the truck and set the camper on it to give it a bit more room. Much lighter than a sheet of plywood.
Yes sir that's it. I was looking at flat bed dimensions and thought it would be more.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Unless you like to burn money and expensive fuel, you don't need a desiel. The 6.2 will do just fine, for far less money. It will also have a higher load rating.

Diesel fuel is 15% cheaper than regular gas here in the PNW, and my truck cost the exact same as a gasser. You just have to buy at the right time. In my market, Dodge did a “no charge diesel” promotion about twice per year for almost 5 years running. If you bought a gas engine during that period, you were a fool. The diesel is a $9500 option, and will always reflect that in resale. Look at a pair of 20 year old trucks: a ‘98 12 valve Cummins in good shape is running around $10-12,000 in my area. The same gas truck is going for $3-5000. I agree that repairs to a diesel can be more costly, but if properly maintained, a diesel will go 4-500,000 miles. I know multiple guys running the same year trucks as mine that have well over 400,000 hard miles on their diesels with nothing more than regular oil and filter changes.

yesmad

Diesel fuel is 15% cheaper than regular gas here in the PNW, and my truck cost the exact same as a gasser. You just have to buy at the right time. In my market, Dodge did a “no charge diesel” promotion about twice per year for almost 5 years running. If you bought a gas engine during that period, you were a fool. The diesel is a $9500 option, and will always reflect that in resale. Look at a pair of 20 year old trucks: a ‘98 12 valve Cummins in good shape is running around $10-12,000 in my area. The same gas truck is going for $3-5000. I agree that repairs to a diesel can be more costly, but if properly maintained, a diesel will go 4-500,000 miles. I know multiple guys running the same year trucks as mine that have well over 400,000 hard miles on their diesels with nothing more than regular oil and filter changes.

Excellent points, thanks. I am still open to the older diesels. My brother has a 2000 F350 that's still going. Tough to find the 2500/3500 Dodge Cummins 4x4's in SoCal at the moment. I'm always looking though.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
You have to do ''diesel truck stuff'' with a modern diesel.

My truck is a weekend warrior, but buying an economy car for around town, would cost 20 times more than the wasted fuel in a big truck, or the higher costs of the truck. I already have the truck. So it needs to be able to handle a 5 min run to get pizza on a cold winter night in 3 feet of snow. That's what my truck does 5 days of the week. If I would have bought the diesel, it would have already failed.

Sit next to a Dodge service writer. Notice how he keeps mumbling ''operator error, operator error, repent idiot, where's my stapler, operator error, operator error'' while pulling his own hair out. Explaining to people that the equipped their truck with the wrong engine for their needs, 12 times a week, gets old quick.

You will have to go to a 350 for diesel. Diesel 250's have dismal haul ratings. Often only 2000#.

yesmad

You have to do ''diesel truck stuff'' with a modern diesel.

My truck is a weekend warrior, but buying an economy car for around town, would cost 20 times more than the wasted fuel in a big truck, or the higher costs of the truck. I already have the truck. So it needs to be able to handle a 5 min run to get pizza on a cold winter night in 3 feet of snow. That's what my truck does 5 days of the week. If I would have bought the diesel, it would have already failed.

Sit next to a Dodge service writer. Notice how he keeps mumbling ''operator error, operator error, repent idiot, where's my stapler, operator error, operator error'' while pulling his own hair out. Explaining to people that the equipped their truck with the wrong engine for their needs, 12 times a week, gets old quick.

You will have to go to a 350 for diesel. Diesel 250's have dismal haul ratings. Often only 2000#.

And again, excellent points! Thanks. Does anyone buy a Dodge 3500 with the Hemi?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
You have to do ''diesel truck stuff'' with a modern diesel. Explaining to people that they equipped their truck with the wrong engine for their needs, 12 times a week, gets old quick.

There. I’ve pared it down to the relevant points. The second part cuts both ways. Buying a truck with a V8 gas engine to pull 10-15,000 lb trailers all week like some of us do, is also folly. My truck is seldom run at less than 90% of max GVW, and my shortest trip is approximately 110 miles. Perfect for a diesel. If I used it to run to the grocery store like some people do (or to the local state park with a tear drop trailer behind like a huge percentage of “overlanders” do), then yes, a person would be better off with the gas engine. There is no winner in the gas vs diesel battle. It’s a 100% user based answer, that will be different for every circumstance.

I’m lucky enough to have 3 vehicles that are 4x4s, and 2 of which are suitable for extended travel off highway. I guess all 3 are, but I wouldn’t want to do a long trip in the ‘89 4Runner. It wouldn’t be the most relaxing way to travel. Both my Toyota’s are gas powered, so they do the running around. We’re I to ONLY have one vehicle, it would be a very difficult decision picking what it would be.

yesmad

There. I’ve pared it down to the relevant points. The second part cuts both ways. Buying a truck with a V8 gas engine to pull 10-15,000 lb trailers all week like some of us do, is also folly. My truck is seldom run at less than 90% of max GVW, and my shortest trip is approximately 110 miles. Perfect for a diesel. If I used it to run to the grocery store like some people do (or to the local state park with a tear drop trailer behind like a huge percentage of “overlanders” do), then yes, a person would be better off with the gas engine. There is no winner in the gas vs diesel battle. It’s a 100% user based answer, that will be different for every circumstance.

I’m lucky enough to have 3 vehicles that are 4x4s, and 2 of which are suitable for extended travel off highway. I guess all 3 are, but I wouldn’t want to do a long trip in the ‘89 4Runner. It wouldn’t be the most relaxing way to travel. Both my Toyota’s are gas powered, so they do the running around. We’re I to ONLY have one vehicle, it would be a very difficult decision picking what it would be.

Thank you, I haven't given up on the Diesel yet, especially looking at the availability of 350's/3500's.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I’m trying to make the same decision and I go back and forth. I think I’ve realized I want a diesel, but don’t need one. The 13 year old/170k mile 5.4 gas engine handles my camper fine, and I’ll never tow anything over 9k. I’ll keep my next truck for a long time and because of that I’ll likely buy a new one. The difference between a gas and diesel truck is about $10k, and I can fund a lot of adventures with that money. You also could lose about 800-1,000 lbs of payload capacity with a diesel.

I have a 2011 f350 tiger 4x4 camper with the 6.2 gas motor and am getting about 14 mpg highway driving it. Once in a while it pushes up to 15 mpg hwy. It has plenty of power. Maybe you don’t need diesel?

D

Deleted member 9101

If you think you need a desiel, wait for the 7.3 gasser from Ford. Desiel pulling power ... with out the desiel drama.

Last edited by a moderator:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have a 2011 f350 tiger 4x4 camper with the 6.2 gas motor and am getting about 14 mpg highway driving it. Once in a while it pushes up to 15 mpg hwy. It has plenty of power. Maybe you don’t need diesel?

If you can get a real world 14-15 mpg out of a F350 4x4 with a hardside camper on it using a gas engine, then there is definitely no need for a diesel, unless you maybe want to tow something heavy behind as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles