2011-2016 Ford F-250 SCSB 4x4 Gas 6.2 with Lance 865

yesmad

I'm considering the 2011-2016 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2 4x4 with the Lance 865 pulling a 5x8 off-road cargo carrier with a Honda XL 230 inside.

Looking at the numbers it seems that I may need a 1 ton?

Any thoughts?

Much appreciated

Last edited:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
This has been discussed at length on other threads. No sense not going to the 350 -IF you can find one... I have the 350 CCSB w/ 6.2, and well kitted -including Icon 2” stage 4, so it rides pretty decent loaded or empty, and very seldom encroach on max capacity. Conversely, the 250 can get to max capacity pretty quickly when worked as you describe above. Always nice/good to be within safety margins- good luck with the search!!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
My 17 can handle that fine. I might add some more rear spring, and a sway bar maybe.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
You should be ok, but just. That’s assuming you believe the numbers being thrown around by the manufacturers. They are usually optimistic. I agree 100% that if you are going with a slide in camper, a 350 or 3500 is the correct starting point. You wil ALWAYS end up heavier than you think.

mightymike

Adventurer
FYI, I have a 2006 F250 4x4 crew cab 6.5' bed with the the gas 5.4 motor and we also have a Lance 865. We do not tow a trailer. I weighed the truck and camper together (full tank of gas, water tank full, passengers and camping gear, etc) and it weighed 10,160 lbs. I am right up against the GVWR for my truck, but I think due to whatever options the truck has mine has a lower GVWR than some. I'm in the market for a new truck soon and it will be either a F350 or a Ram 3500. Redthies is right on track with his comments...You will ALWAYS end up heavier than you think...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The problem with F250s and 2500s is that although they are <probably> capable of carrying more than their 10,000 lb GVW, they are not rated to by the manufacturer. I’m not an engineer, but neither is the cop or DOT inspector that may have a hard-on for hardside camper weight. It’s not worth ruining a trip over the chance that someone is going to call you on the GVW of your rig. Get something that legally carries your load with some room to spare.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I should be more specific.

My 17 has 3100# of carry capacity. A 10,000# sticker. Your combo would work on my truck. Unless you have a ton of lead dinnerware in your camper.

Pretty much the only limit on the truck. I'll never get anywhere near it's axle or tow ratings. Those are ''space shuttle''.

yesmad

Thanks guys,
This has given me something to think about...

My next worry is if going to a 1 ton, whether or not to get a diesel. If I buy a used 1 ton with a diesel and it dies 6 months after I buy it, the $12k rebuild cost would really suck, unless I did it myself. Haven't rebuilt a motor in a long time and never a diesel. Diesel vs. Gas the age old question. ;)

yesmad

FYI, I have a 2006 F250 4x4 crew cab 6.5' bed with the the gas 5.4 motor and we also have a Lance 865. We do not tow a trailer. I weighed the truck and camper together (full tank of gas, water tank full, passengers and camping gear, etc) and it weighed 10,160 lbs. I am right up against the GVWR for my truck, but I think due to whatever options the truck has mine has a lower GVWR than some. I'm in the market for a new truck soon and it will be either a F350 or a Ram 3500. Redthies is right on track with his comments...You will ALWAYS end up heavier than you think...

Thanks Mike,

If it wouldn't be too much trouble... I would like to know the measurement from the bottom of the 865 to the bottom of the cabover? I've been searching dimensions for the Lance 865 but no luck on that particular measurement. I'm curious just in case I run across a flatbed that might work?

Thanks again!

mightymike

Adventurer
Thanks Mike,

If it wouldn't be too much trouble... I would like to know the measurement from the bottom of the 865 to the bottom of the cabover? I've been searching dimensions for the Lance 865 but no luck on that particular measurement. I'm curious just in case I run across a flatbed that might work?

Thanks again!
No problem at all: 24”.

I’ve thought about a flatbed on our next truck, and the primary reason is for more outside storage room. I think I just need to take less “stuff” along. Please post up if you end up doing a flatbed.

mightymike

Adventurer
Thanks guys,

My next worry is if going to a 1 ton, whether or not to get a diesel. If I buy a used 1 ton with a diesel and it dies 6 months after I buy it, the $12k rebuild cost would really suck, unless I did it myself. Haven't rebuilt a motor in a long time and never a diesel. Diesel vs. Gas the age old question. ;)
I’m trying to make the same decision and I go back and forth. I think I’ve realized I want a diesel, but don’t need one. The 13 year old/170k mile 5.4 gas engine handles my camper fine, and I’ll never tow anything over 9k. I’ll keep my next truck for a long time and because of that I’ll likely buy a new one. The difference between a gas and diesel truck is about $10k, and I can fund a lot of adventures with that money. You also could lose about 800-1,000 lbs of payload capacity with a diesel.

D

Deleted member 9101

Thanks guys,

Unless you like to burn money and expensive fuel, you don't need a desiel. The 6.2 will do just fine, for far less money. It will also have a higher load rating.

yesmad

No problem at all: 24”.

I’ve thought about a flatbed on our next truck, and the primary reason is for more outside storage room. I think I just need to take less “stuff” along. Please post up if you end up doing a flatbed.
I think I may have worded it wrong? Is the 24" from the bed of the truck to the bottom of the Lance cabover? IE about the same distance as from the bed of the truck to the top of your F250 cab? I thought it might be in the 40"+ range? Thanks!

Last edited:

yesmad

I’m trying to make the same decision and I go back and forth. I think I’ve realized I want a diesel, but don’t need one. The 13 year old/170k mile 5.4 gas engine handles my camper fine, and I’ll never tow anything over 9k. I’ll keep my next truck for a long time and because of that I’ll likely buy a new one. The difference between a gas and diesel truck is about $10k, and I can fund a lot of adventures with that money. You also could lose about 800-1,000 lbs of payload capacity with a diesel.
Thanks for talking me off the cliff ;) How do you like the 5.4?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles