2010 Tundra CM DIY hidden winch

hilgeg

Can't find a winch bumper for the 2nd gen Tundra that isn't huge, bulky, and heavy so figured I'd give this a go.
Picked up a 13k winch with synthetic rope off amazon and a generic winch plate. Busted out the sawzall and well - I'm committed.
IMG_2611.jpg

Test fit - used some 1/4 plate steel to tie into the factory tow hooks, also used it to tie into the factory bash bar.
IMG_2616.jpg

Still wanted some extra vertical support so I took some scrap plate and created a gusset and welded it to the bash bar brackets.
Goes back together nicely I think.
IMG_2613.jpg

After that I wanted it all hidden so back to amazon for some 88lbs rare earth magnets to make my license plate hide everything. Also back to the sawzall for trimming the plastic valance around the new plate. Here it is with the license plate on and off.
IMG_2622.jpg
IMG_2623.jpg

I even got the chance to use it. Headed up snow wheeling and stopped for lunch. Warm engine plus snow means I was an ice block. Had to hook to a tree 90 degrees from my truck to pull myself back into the ruts. Worked like a charm!
IMG_2772.jpg

beef tits

I probably don't need to bother pointing this out, but cutting your bumper like that is a really bad idea. I hope you don't get into a wreck.

Also, if that ebay winch actually pulls 13,000 lbs of force (which I doubt) all you are going to do is rip that DIY mounting plate right out of your frame. Kiss it goodbye the first time you are winching and actually stuck.

There is a reason a legit winch/bumper setup costs a lot of money, and it's that they actually work and last. I don't see your setup lasting, or working well. Unsafe at best.

hilgeg

I probably don't need to bother pointing this out, but cutting your bumper like that is a really bad idea. I hope you don't get into a wreck.

Also, if that ebay winch actually pulls 13,000 lbs of force (which I doubt) all you are going to do is rip that DIY mounting plate right out of your frame. Kiss it goodbye the first time you are winching and actually stuck.

There is a reason a legit winch/bumper setup costs a lot of money, and it's that they actually work and last. I don't see your setup lasting, or working well. Unsafe at best.
The bash bar has been re-incorporated into the winch plate - both through welds and grade 8 hardware. Also the winch plate has been gusseted into the frame at the point of the tow hooks. Used it in the snow to pull my truck 45 degrees though 36 inch snow with no stress cracks at all. I appreciate your concern but I'm happy with my results. I just don't want the added 250 lbs a steel bumper adds and quite frankly all the 2nd gen Tundra ones look like a fat lip. Did that on my last rig and had to swap to stiffer springs making the truck ride rough.
Eventually if I find myself using the winch more I'll change it out to a higher quality winch although I must say I like the line speed on this one way better than the Warn XD9000 I had on my 4Runner. Probably move to a Comeup Seal series.

beef tits

I agree the aftermarket bumpers are mostly ugly, but they are rated to 15,000 lbs, have built in crumple zones, airbags still work and they not only help approach angles, but also deflect deer/elk rather well without a scratch. Part of how they get to that 15,000 lb rating is reinforcement going back beyond the bumper mounting plate, beyond the frame crumple "pinch", but without compromising the function of it. ARB uses a long bolt. On my old F250 it was a bracket. On frontal impact it seems the frame should still bend as it normally would.

Here is a pic;

IMG_9471.jpeg

hilgeg

Wish I had a better pic but this shows my primary support. This is 1/4 inch plate steel attached directly to the frame - beyond the crumple caps. It uses the OEM grade 8 bolts for the tow hooks plus I welded a small gusset to the frame behind. Then the 1/4 inch plate was attached to the winch plate also using grade 8 bolts and welds. The picture I wish I had is how one of my triangle gussets on the top of the winch plate then attaches to the bash bar with more grade 8 hardware. I didn't want to mess with the crumple caps for the reason you state - airbags. I actually got this idea from a MOVE bumper I saw.
IMG_2615.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online