2010 Toyota Tundra work truck.

Thoughts on the 2010 Tundra work truck regular cab 8' bed 4X4 as expo vehicle. ARB list bull bars and lockers are available as well as suspension. Does any one have any experience with the newer body style Tundra? Lifts, wheel/tires, lockers ect, ect. What real world fuel economy are you getting loaded and unloaded. I dont intend to run the Rubicon but drive logging/forest service roads. The work truck is a new package available for 2010 and has a lower starting price and less bells and wistles.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I have been waiting for someone to build one. You could throw a pop-up camper on it be have some fun!

CapelConcepts

Observer
Just my opinion, but I'm not a huge fan of the new Tundras. I did R&D work at a suspension company that builds lifts for them and then had my own shop where I lifted them and I just wasn't very impressed. The acceleration is super soft, the handling is numb, and it just feels like a giant car. Now the other guy I worked with absolutely loved the Tundra...but he liked anything that had a Toyota badge on it.

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
I have only one thing to say here. On the 2008 Tundra with the 381hp V8 the acceleration is anything but soft.! And i have owned many cars and trucks of all horsepowers so i feel im very qualified to say that.

bat

Explorer
Before I purchased my Stupid Duty I drove a new Tundra and I was not really all that excited about the truck. The power was just not there for me and inside the cab there was to much going on.

bjowett

Adventurer
I'm building my 2008 DC 5.7 as a doitall and promo vehicle for my business, which is aftermarket HD and performance for the 2nd gen Tundra (I'll leave it that since I'm not a vendor). I've been considering starting a build thread about it up in the Toyota section... maybe it's time?

Are you guys sure you drove a 5.7L??

IMO the truck is good, very capable, but not perfect. The chassis is based on the new 200 series Land Cruiser... it's very overbuilt in the wear and tear department, much more so than any 1/2 ton I have seen to date. Huge brakes, big rear axles, wheel bearings, U-joints, ball joints... much of it would qualify for 3/4 and 1 ton usage. :Wow1:

There are no traction differentials yet available for the 10.5" axle that comes with the 5.7L. ARB has one in developement, but the economy is likely to have shelved it for a bit. I believe (?) the 9.5" axle that comes on the smaller engined trucks should accept the the ARB for the 100 (98 - 07) and 200 (08 and up) series cruiser. The front 8.7" diff should have the ARB available any time now. The stock A-trac actually works pretty dang well.

There are plenty of suspensions out there.

Mileage... some guys get high teens on the highway. I saw 14 - 16mpg mix, but then the big tires went on. Towing things is usually 9 - 12mpg. The new 4.6 is available in 2010 models, it might pull better number yet.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

Desert Dan

Explorer
I wish they had a manual transmission and real off road package.

You can hardly tell a 4x4 next to a 4x2 Tundra.

Toyota Tundra has become what an American truck is so why not get a Power Wagon?

I am a huge Toyota fan and I am considering a new 4 Runner, Tacoma or Tundra. My current 2000 Taco has 225,000 miles and feal that for my money Toyota builds the best over all. I have owned numeruos other makes Ford, Chevy and one Dodge and ran into problems way sooner than one would expect at the low miles they had. I dont want to discuss one brad verus an other just getting opinions on the Tundra. Thanks.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I am slowly building my Power Wagon into an Overland machine. Now thats a real truck! Well, actually, I don't really need anything done to the truck itself other then bumpers and a snorkel. In fact, I just got back from Moab and did the entire Poisen Spider Mesa trail in my Power Wagon, there is NO WAY a Tundra could keep up with me, no way on earth.

suntinez

Explorer
I dont want to discuss one brad verus an other just getting opinions on the Tundra. Thanks.

I have the 2007 Tundra, 5.7L, 8' bed, 4x4 pretty much bone stock except for tire change out and adding the flippac. No TRD package for the longebd, I believe. It's proved alot more capable than I first expected, and plenty of power. I get ~13mpg going up and down the mountain, closer to 19 on the highway. Pretty sure a lift is in my future, just shuffling $ around to do it.

There is a friendly and knowledgeable group for the 2nd gen Tundra here, if you haven't found it already.

Be interested in how you proceed :)

OTR

Adventurer
I love my Tundra. The 5.7L has everything but soft acceleration, unless I compare it to my dad's new Z06. This engine and 6spd is absolute must have IMO. I get about 14 MPG after 2.5" list, MT tires, winch bumper, snugtop. I have a TRD Limited crewmax and is pretty heavy but rides pretty good. I recommend staying away from a TRD due to stiff ride.

CapelConcepts

Observer
I'm glad all of you that have Tundras like them...to me they just feel flaccid...just my opinion. The truth is you are the only one that has to be satisfied by whatever truck you decide to build!! :victory: Keep on build and can't wait to see some pics!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm impressed with the specs on the new Tundras, but need to drive one to see if I really like them and if they ‘fit’ me.

'IF' I buy another new, full-sized truck in the next couple years the new Tundra will be a strong contender.

Though I'm a BIG diesel fan, the new diesel emissions and complexity has me concerned. Gasoline-powered technology is currently more refined/proven. The Cummins/Dodge may get a good look from me too, but I'm becoming a Toyota fan with my current 4Runner.

I really like the current Tacoma too, but for a large heavy-duty “half-ton” the Tundra looks really good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles