2010 patriot soft roader build.

Darkrider

Adventurer
Jhill i have a question for ya. What did you end up doing for a spare tire solution for your 'riot? Were you able to fit a full size spare in the stock tire well?

autism family travels

A gigantic bump up to this one. Jhill, if you are out there, got a question about springs YET AGAIN. If I put the tallest front spring on the pat, what increase in height will I get> I was over on jp.com and a guy installed a set of journey rear springs and got a little over an inch of lift. Will i get extra height from the tall moog spring?

ihatemybike

Explorer
If I put the tallest front spring on the pat, what increase in height will I get?
My wife drives a lifted 2016 Patriot Sport 4x4 2.4l 6 speed auto. Being completely honest, you don't want to strive for the highest lift you can get, because that severely limits what's left of the independent suspension's downward travel, which is just as important as upward travel.

Being a member of many Patriot groups/forums I've seen far too many people remove spacer lifts, returning the suspension to stock. Rocky Road, Daystar, etc it doesn't matter which brand. Spacer lifts really aren't the best route to go.

4x4 versions the best lift is a mild one consisting of Murchison CRDStu coils mounted on fresh KYB or Bilstein struts. The 4x4 Patriots came from the factory with two different ride heights. With the CRDStu coils early versions will end up with about 2" of lift, later versions will end up with about 1" of lift, resulting in early and late version having the same ride height after the lift is installed. For tires it seems the best sizes are 225/75R16 or 235/70R16 (29").

FWD version aren't really able to be lifted, due to front CV axle clearance with the control arm. For some reason they didn't design them to use the same axles as the 4x4.

On my wife's Patriot with CRDStu coils we are running 225/75R16 Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S tires mounted on Mamba MR-X1 wheels (clones of the Wrangler TJ Moab wheels). This setup works quite well. The Jeep still gets pretty good fuel mileage (for a lifted rolling brick) and handles the trails quite well. My wife tries to put in as many trail miles as she can as she drives around the country for work, over 55 miles worth of trails around Laughlin, NV this past Friday alone.

Here's her Jeep somewhere in the Valley of the Gods. Full size matching spare on the roof. Back seat/cargo area set up for her to sleep in it.
1637462434551.png

Attachments

• 1637462606166.png
    1637462606166.png
    450.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

autism family travels

I wanted to run those wheels, did you use spacers or just the wheels? looks great. Yes, I know all about the pat's downsides to lifting. A guy on JP.com (I am banned there because I constantly made fun of rossoracer and his bull about his baja racer patriot) put on journey springs in the rear, and I was wondering if I put on the tallest moog springs up front will it raise my jeep from where it sits now. He added a 20mm spacer up front to bring the jeep a little more back to stock level status other than that it's fine.

ihatemybike

Explorer
The Mambas are perfect fit with no spacers. Dimensions are exactly the same as Wrangler TJ wheels.

From what I know the tallest Moog springs aren't any taller than the tallest factory springs, so if they lift any will depend which springs you have from the factory.

ihatemybike

Explorer
The CRDStu springs are designed to carry a little more weight than stock, so when empty it's a slightly more truck like ride. Feels pretty good when loaded up for a trip.

Attachments

• 20200824_110858.jpg
    20200824_110858.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14

autism family travels

Hmmmm, not sure what I want to do. One thing I have to try to figure out how to get the harsheness out of the ride off road. Coming from 2 JKU's that were built the pat is ROUGH off road. Stuff that I could sail over at 100km/h in the JK, I can't do 30km/h. If I could keep the 30, but make it smoother I would be happy since we are not in a rush to go anywhere. But the fam gotta be comfortable doing it.

autism family travels

Update on the ole patriot. I ordered the rough country 2" lift with complete coil/struts for front and rear. I was going to replace it all anyways, so it's all coming as a package now. I also have new LCA as the bushings are toast in mine, and new UCA for the rear with adjustability and ditching those stupid flat plate design of the originals. I think one of mine are bent as tire wear is wonky on the drivers side and not the passenger side (as much). The rig looks like our husky squatting taking a wizz right now too. All that will be remedied with the new suspension bits. We also have 235/65/17 Falken AT3W's ordered as well. Both the lift and tires will be in around 3 weeks time. Can't wait!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles