2009 tundra - scheel mann conversion

Hi there.

Im in the process of building my truck and I just did a test run of 3100 km and the seats are absolutely horrid.
I want to convert to scheel mann seats but I want to retain the passenger airbag and all the proper safety functions... except the seat side air bags of course.

If there is anyone that can help or share some resources, that would be radical.

TIA.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Hi there.

Im in the process of building my truck and I just did a test run of 3100 km and the seats are absolutely horrid.
I want to convert to scheel mann seats but I want to retain the passenger airbag and all the proper safety functions... except the seat side air bags of course.

If there is anyone that can help or share some resources, that would be radical.

TIA.
Hey dude,
Have you tried reaching out directly to scheel-mann? They may be your best source of info for their products.
They may have access to more comprehensive info? Best luck in finding your answers.

Hey dude,
Have you tried reaching out directly to scheel-mann? They may be your best source of info for their products.
They may have access to more comprehensive info? Best luck in finding your answers.

You bet. Been there done that. They actually told me to google it.

Planted will make the bases for them and do the install, but they wont do the air bag sensor for the inflatable pillow in the dash or trick the air bag for the side curtain... which is in the seat, and would have to be zeroed out on account of the Scheel not having bags in their seats.... because 90% of the cars out there dont do that.

And yup, I am in the process of clearing this mod with DOT and all authorities. Insurance already says it's good to go and not an issue.. in fact Scheel-mann has a pretty good rep for safety and keeping drivers alert. Right up there with the 4K Recaros.

So all Im really looking for is any tips on the electrics. I know the FJ seats have been swapped out like 4 day old hanes, but the electrics are not totally identical.

Last edited:

clintium

I’m working on this same project with a 2016 tundra. Lots of threads on taco world. I think this thread has the most concise explanation of the challenges. Not sure exactly what you’ll encounter on your gen 1. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/aftermarket-seats-in-3rd-gen-some-info.611276/

For my gen 2.5 I have two main things to address:
-oem seats have side bolster airbags and replacement seats won’t. Will need to add in a new 2ohm resistor on that circuit to avoid setting off any airbag safety alarm/issues. Impacts passenger and driver seats.
-occupancy sensor on the passenger seat must be bypassed/rigged up to not set off any issues/alerts. This seems to be the more challenging bit of fab.

A few more threads you may enjoy:

Thanks guys for the info and links. The tundra facebook groups just spewed stupid and told me to get bent... so Im thankful for not getting shredded here.

I got a call from the vehicle safety inspection office, and they said that if I remove my seat with the airbag in it, and I get hurt or someone else gets hurt or killed, I can be found liable or even criminally responsible.
So it looks like I will be getting OEM seats with lumbar at minimum, and getting them redone up nice.

dstefan

FWIW I really tried to get Scheel-Mann for my old Tacoma, but could never work out the airbag issues. There was a shop in Berkley that the SM US rep put me on to, but it was $8K for two seats with all the fabbing and physically swapping the sensors, and that was 4 years ago.

So I got a 21 Tundra, which I needed for my camper anyway. The seats in the SR5 with the premium package that also gets you the big gas tank are really quite good and light years better than my old Taco.

clintium

Thanks guys for the info and links. The tundra facebook groups just spewed stupid and told me to get bent... so Im thankful for not getting shredded here.

I got a call from the vehicle safety inspection office, and they said that if I remove my seat with the airbag in it, and I get hurt or someone else gets hurt or killed, I can be found liable or even criminally responsible.
So it looks like I will be getting OEM seats with lumbar at minimum, and getting them redone up nice.
Yikes! What state or country are you in? I didn’t even think of that aspect of criminal liability. I’m in California so I’m thinking I’ll probably be fined just for posting about it online.
Jokes aside though I have a quote in my email to order a set of these seats but your post has given me serious pause! I’ll probably take the weekend to think it over and forget out who to talk to in my traffic jurisdiction.

ugh I’m so tired of these OEM Tundra seats. I know some people like em. Some hate em. Me… phew… sometimes I think I’m willing to sell the truck just to be done with them. For me I’m extremely uncomfortable in these seats. I’ve tried to seat jackers front and rear.

Yikes! What state or country are you in? I didn’t even think of that aspect of criminal liability. I’m in California so I’m thinking I’ll probably be fined just for posting about it online.
Jokes aside though I have a quote in my email to order a set of these seats but your post has given me serious pause! I’ll probably take the weekend to think it over and forget out who to talk to in my traffic jurisdiction.

ugh I’m so tired of these OEM Tundra seats. I know some people like em. Some hate em. Me… phew… sometimes I think I’m willing to sell the truck just to be done with them. For me I’m extremely uncomfortable in these seats. I’ve tried to seat jackers front and rear.

Im in canada... the land of the apathetic... lol.
Ya. The point made to me was that "the safety feature of an air bag to protect the occupant is the same as the bumper to crumple. If its removed or replaced with something other than it's OEM equipment used in the safety crash tests, and someone other than the owner is hurt, maimed, or killed, the owner of the vehicle can be found guilty on a criminal level. The only other point is if the RCMP and/or crown (prosecution) decides to or even catches the alteration of the vehicle."

This said, it is legal for us in Canada to replace crumple bumpers with full welded steel... so figure that one out.
It is also legal to change your seat to anything approved for highway use.
So the only thing that makes tundra life hell is that freeking airbag.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Im in canada... the land of the apathetic... lol.

This said, it is legal for us in Canada to replace crumple bumpers with full welded steel... so figure that one out.

What? Who’s apathetic? :ROFLMAO:

I like the second part I quoted since I’m about to change out my piece of mangled plastic for some mammal murdering cold hard steel!

And why is it that the seats in my 2019 Platinum are WAY worse than those in my 2003 SR5??

Lownomore

That aligns with my experience in the auto industry. I once had a customer that was denied a whiplash claim when she was rear-ended because the adjuster noticed the front headrests were missing. Since they are designed to prevent/mitigate whiplash the insurance company was able to deny the claim based on her removal of safety equipment.

The liability on bumpers and similar is that if you hit someone with a welded steel bumper and they have a savvy lawyer the lawyer could argue that the accident was made worse by the steel bumper. Australian rules regarding actual sliders vs steps are based on the same thought process if I remember right.

I'm not saying don't modify trucks, I have ARB bumpers on both ends of my FJ, but good on you for doing the research and finding some of the potential pitfalls of modified rigs before you pulled the trigger.

moose545

What an asspain; I've been looking forward to a SM in time and all the new bags and lack of options and work-arounds just blows immensely. As someone with lower back pain it's ridiculous, and most stock seats suck. I have found the best workaround so far is a ROHO air seat cushion, used for wheelchairs. If it works, so be it I suppose! And $100+ beats $2000+ lol

Reactions: WVI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior