2009 G650gs

cjmitchell5

Adventurer
Soooo....here's what I'm wondering. A few months back I lost my beloved Dakar in a house fire :(

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16137&highlight=birmingham+bmw

Now, I see BMW is marketing old GS as a 2009 model G650GS for less than alot of used old (we should call them classic) F650GS. I'm thinking, how hard would it be to get a new GS and put the 21" front wheel and Dakar suspension and have basically a 2009 Dakar (sans decals)? Any BMW guru's input?

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
cjmitchell5 said:
Soooo....here's what I'm wondering. A few months back I lost my beloved Dakar in a house fire :(

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16137&highlight=birmingham+bmw

Now, I see BMW is marketing old GS as a 2009 model G650GS for less than alot of used old (we should call them classic) F650GS. I'm thinking, how hard would it be to get a new GS and put the 21" front wheel and Dakar suspension and have basically a 2009 Dakar (sans decals)? Any BMW guru's input?

Could it be done? Sure. but then you end up with a new bike with an old suspension. You could freshen up the forks with new springs and oil, but the rear shock is, as I'm sure you know, junk. Ohlins could take care of that for you...for a price.

If you really wanted a 650 Dakar, I'd recommend finding just that....there are a few out there now that the 800GS is on the floor. Not exactly plentiful, and the older 650 GS (singles) are still commanding a premium price...but probably still going to be a better overall cost.

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
G650 Dakar

Easily doable but probably expensive. Here's the BMW parts microfiche so you can figure out what parts you would need to replace. Another thought is buying the White Power/Ohlins suspension upgrade from Touratech. Betcha a beer that after you buy the bike and all the necessary parts from new and used sources, you could buy an F800 GS

Just a thought

Jim

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
The new G650 is not exactly a re-marketed F650. My understanding is the frame is the same, but they are using the G650X engine. There are several posts about it on ADVrider.com. Not saying that is better or worse, just saying it is not the same bike as you had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz