2009 Chevy Medium Duty 4x4 Kodiak Ambulance conversion

downhill

Adventurer
One more update then I'm off the hook for some time.

Here's where the switches and victron gx went. It was a strange blank space that was there for the door spring. The hole in the middle will be for phone stashing and charging.
View attachment 460296
I wanted to include this shot. Seems like I had to do some sort of electrical work almost every day. Guess that makes sense with the systems being all electrons except the air heater.
View attachment 460298
Here's another shot worth sharing. As you know I have 4 windows made by Eurovision and imported by Tern Overland. My walls turned out to be 3.5 inches thick which required an additional trim ring. It's not a simple process to install these on the windows. Also know that with these windows especially the ones with extra trim ring the install is a serious pain. I consider myself to be a mechanically inclined person and it took hours and hours to install these windows. I spent over 40 minutes fighting with just one screw. The windows are great, the reps, either Total Composites or Tern Overland are great too. Just know that you better dust off your patience hat before you start this project.
View attachment 460301
I slept on my new mattress on my bed platform last night. Almost two months on a cot was getting old.
View attachment 460302
Sticking with my no plywood build I made a frame out of aluminum. The platform is 87 inches long and 48 wide. The deck slides forward one foot to accommodate my queen mattress. The bed is just 4" thick foam so it folds up in the back when I push it in. The queen mattress is only 80 inches long so I have an extra 7 to play with. Not sure what I'll do yet, but most likely some sort of headboard with storage.
View attachment 460303
I was barely able to get this frame inside and had to do it with the partition half in there too. Neither one would go in if the other was installed. Couldn't have done it without sticking a corner out the window. Depending on how tall my bike seat is and how long my spare lives in the back future plans include the whole front half of the bed lifting. I want to make shallow storage pockets in those 4 front squares for clothes.
View attachment 460307
Talk about a change inside. For so long I've been working in this cavernous 14 x 8 foot box. Now half of it is taken up by a bed/garage. Probably not a favorite set up for a lot of folks but I've found it to be the best for my lifestyle. Bikes and toys always inside clean and secure.
View attachment 460308
That's enough for now, so many details to finish.
Thanks for the intel on the windows! In my searches around, I haven't found any other window manufacturer who offers any solution at all for people with thick walls. Whatever solution we devise, and risk we take, is completely on us. It's nice that Tern is at least attempting to recognize our challenge, and offer us an option. Was the finished product well executed?

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
motion windows can build for 3 3/8" inches (max). worked for my rig to span the skin, frame, and 1/2" interior paneling

hey tom absolutely - if my rig is mobile we'll meet up someplace cool and compare side by side (but i'll be green .... love the SS's!)

Mattersnots

Adventurer
Tom, could you please let us know the offset or backspacing of those wheels ?
I'm assuming same wheels front and back ?
Thanks
Bob

I'll get some measurements for you. I was going crazy trying to figure it all out. I couldn't get a clear answer from anyone. Give me a few days and I'll go physically measure for you. In the end I just went with what John at Stazworks said. He's done enough to where he has the details down. Details that change with different axles and configurations by the way.

Mattersnots

Adventurer
can you please take detailed shots of the box's suspension system. I assume solid mount in back and captured springs in front. I need to do something like this on my remount to truck in my avatar

Your pictures sir. You can see that solid 1x4 and the rubber isolation mounts. The 1x4 is the length of the box and has 10 or 12 mounts per side.
TOM20180716_151541_DRO.jpg
Lets not start another how to mount your camper discussion. It's been done so many times already on this forum. This is what I have, I'm sticking with it, I'll let you guys know if it breaks.
TOM20180716_151553_DRO.jpg

Mattersnots

Adventurer
Thanks for the intel on the windows! In my searches around, I haven't found any other window manufacturer who offers any solution at all for people with thick walls. Whatever solution we devise, and risk we take, is completely on us. It's nice that Tern is at least attempting to recognize our challenge, and offer us an option. Was the finished product well executed?

Very well executed. The windows are a quality product and Dave's trim solution comes out very nice. I'm just warning folks that it's not an easy process. You will need many clamps, must have a rivet gun, you will need to prepare and paint your own trim rings. Here's an example of how Dave deals with this. He told me which paint to get (rattle can) and where and describes how to prep and paint for best success. Great windows, great support, just lots of work. And I completely agree. We aren't building a minnie winnie and we are fortunate indeed to have these options.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Your pictures sir. You can see that solid 1x4 and the rubber isolation mounts. The 1x4 is the length of the box and has 10 or 12 mounts per side. ....
My ambo was delivered without the truck but was fortunate enough to also get in the purchase all the mounts that were once bolted to the truck chassis to mount the ambo with including large rubber donuts like yours. Did get verified in advance that the Freightliner chassis it was on has same physical measurements as my chassis. It was an Airport Ambo in Virginia. So now am wondering if it was 4x4 chassis it was on hmmm. I will reuse them though will do captured spring on the ones closest to cab because that is how similar was done with a box designed to go on my chassis. (though smaller and harder to find)

what is the 1x4 made of again? a solid bar of Aluminum? A plastic? a wood?

again thanks.

downhill

Adventurer
Very well executed. The windows are a quality product and Dave's trim solution comes out very nice. I'm just warning folks that it's not an easy process. You will need many clamps, must have a rivet gun, you will need to prepare and paint your own trim rings. Here's an example of how Dave deals with this. He told me which paint to get (rattle can) and where and describes how to prep and paint for best success. Great windows, great support, just lots of work. And I completely agree. We aren't building a minnie winnie and we are fortunate indeed to have these options.
Good to know, thank you!

patoz

Expedition Leader
My ambo was delivered without the truck but was fortunate enough to also get in the purchase all the mounts that were once bolted to the truck chassis to mount the ambo with including large rubber donuts like yours. Did get verified in advance that the Freightliner chassis it was on has same physical measurements as my chassis. It was an Airport Ambo in Virginia. So now am wondering if it was 4x4 chassis it was on hmmm. I will reuse them though will do captured spring on the ones closest to cab because that is how similar was done with a box designed to go on my chassis. (though smaller and harder to find)

again thanks.

Coachgeo,

I think these pictures will answer your question. This is a Wheeled Coach ambulance but they're are all done pretty much the same.

That 1" x 4" bar is solid aluminum, runs the full length of the module, and is welded to to every cross-brace in the floor. Large bolts run down through it and the pads and then through frame brackets or the frame itself.

sshot-2017-06-24-[1].png

sshot-2017-06-24-[5].png

Mattersnots

Adventurer

again thanks.
That is one solid bar of aluminum.
Whoah, just noticed the videos. Nice one Pat.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Actually Tom, those are screen shots from a video. I bought my 2005 Wheeled Coach patient module by itself also, so I wanted to make sure I had the mounting stack of bolts, washers, pads, and nuts correct.

Mattersnots

Adventurer
Tom, could you please let us know the offset or backspacing of those wheels ?
I'm assuming same wheels front and back ?
Thanks
Bob
Got out there and measured for you today. I forgot how all the jargon goes but you will be able to figure out what you need from this info. The plates where the studs go through or wheel attachment point is 1/2 an inch thick. That's a 1/4 inch for each wheel half. The distance from those plates to the outside of the rim is 9 and 3/4 on one side and 1 and 1/4 on the other. This makes the wheel 11 and 1/2 inches wide. They are 20 inches in diameter. Yes they are interchangeable front to rear and no spacer is used. The track is within an inch front to rear axle. I hope this helps someone out there. I searched far and wide for this info and never could find it.

Britboaters

Observer
Excellent, thanks !
This makes the "offset" 4 inches. Thats the difference from the centerline of the wheel to the mounting face.
The "back spacing" is 9 3/4 inches.
This really helps.
Bob

Mattersnots

Adventurer
Ok, who's the expert out there on these ambulance air systems. Maybe someone can save me a couple hours hunting for wires. Since I've got the ambulance electrical system running all the time now the compressor comes on at odd hours when the sensor detects low pressure. Not good when you are sound asleep at 3am or in a quiet setting. I just want to put a switch in to keep it from coming on at this point. Anyone know which wire to interrupt?

I have a Thomas compressor with a two gallon tank. The truck has firestone air suspension in the rear that can be dumped for patient load/unload. There is a switch in the front and rear for dumping the air. The switch is spring loaded. One press and it dumps all the air in the bags. Press it again during the dump or after and the bags re-inflate fully. In the future I'd also like to set these switches up so when held the air releases then stays at that spot when the switch is let go. With this set up I could level the truck from the cab.

Here's a shot of the air controller.
TOM20180725_081405_DRO[1].jpg

rlrenz

Explorer
I bought an Isotherm refrigerator just after I retired (when I had some extra bucks). While I'm waiting to get it installed, I've been running it on a 20 amp power supply. It's a great way to keep beverages cool while you're working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke