2009 Chevy Medium Duty 4x4 Kodiak Ambulance conversion

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
very nice tom, huge congrats!!! still plugging...plodding along.... damn i wish i had gone with Staz's SS glad to hear they ride/drive well!!! got spacers and other doodads on the way to get mine 'configurated' plus adding a front air suspension system

patoz

Expedition Leader
The tires look great on there!

BTW, if you ever decide to get rid of those speakers on the front bumper, please let me know and I will buy them.

Mattersnots

Adventurer
can you please take detailed shots of the box's suspension system. I assume solid mount in back and captured springs in front. I need to do something like this on my remount to truck in my avatar

The box is mounted onto two solid aluminum 1x4's which are then mounted to the frame. There are some thick rubber bushings between. Nothing special, just enough to give it some flex. I'll be under there today working on grey tanks. I'll see if I can get a shot or two.

Mattersnots

Adventurer
very nice tom, huge congrats!!! still plugging...plodding along.... damn i wish i had gone with Staz's SS glad to hear they ride/drive well!!! got spacers and other doodads on the way to get mine 'configurated' plus adding a front air suspension system

Thanks Jim. I think the tires are the right size and look good on there. Keep me posted on that front air conversion. Sounds very interesting.

Jo_Duval

Observer
Wow it looks soooo good now! I wish they came that way from factory!

You didn’t require lift to fit these? Has the mileage changed much? Or what is it like now ?

Mattersnots

Adventurer
Wow it looks soooo good now! I wish they came that way from factory!

You didn’t require lift to fit these? Has the mileage changed much? Or what is it like now ?

No lift required. I'm assuming the mileage changed significantly. I'll hit the road in a couple of weeks and know more. For now it's all about building as much as possible before I leave.

Current mileage is 11.8 but that's driving slow from Houston to Tucson. With the new tires, city driving, and lots of starts and maneuvering in the yard this tank will probably be around 8 mpg. I'm scared to fill it fearing the bad news.

Mattersnots

Adventurer
One more update then I'm off the hook for some time.

Here's where the switches and victron gx went. It was a strange blank space that was there for the door spring. The hole in the middle will be for phone stashing and charging.
TOM20180704_134648_DRO.jpg
I wanted to include this shot. Seems like I had to do some sort of electrical work almost every day. Guess that makes sense with the systems being all electrons except the air heater.
TOM20180704_134656_DRO.jpg
Here's another shot worth sharing. As you know I have 4 windows made by Eurovision and imported by Tern Overland. My walls turned out to be 3.5 inches thick which required an additional trim ring. It's not a simple process to install these on the windows. Also know that with these windows especially the ones with extra trim ring the install is a serious pain. I consider myself to be a mechanically inclined person and it took hours and hours to install these windows. I spent over 40 minutes fighting with just one screw. The windows are great, the reps, either Total Composites or Tern Overland are great too. Just know that you better dust off your patience hat before you start this project.
TOM20180705_144553_DRO.jpg
I slept on my new mattress on my bed platform last night. Almost two months on a cot was getting old.
TOM20180710_144142_DRO.jpg
Sticking with my no plywood build I made a frame out of aluminum. The platform is 87 inches long and 48 wide. The deck slides forward one foot to accommodate my queen mattress. The bed is just 4" thick foam so it folds up in the back when I push it in. The queen mattress is only 80 inches long so I have an extra 7 to play with. Not sure what I'll do yet, but most likely some sort of headboard with storage.
TOM20180710_171614_DRO.jpg
I was barely able to get this frame inside and had to do it with the partition half in there too. Neither one would go in if the other was installed. Couldn't have done it without sticking a corner out the window. Depending on how tall my bike seat is and how long my spare lives in the back future plans include the whole front half of the bed lifting. I want to make shallow storage pockets in those 4 front squares for clothes.
TOM20180710_185618_DRO.jpg
Talk about a change inside. For so long I've been working in this cavernous 14 x 8 foot box. Now half of it is taken up by a bed/garage. Probably not a favorite set up for a lot of folks but I've found it to be the best for my lifestyle. Bikes and toys always inside clean and secure.
TOM20180710_191122_DRO.jpg
That's enough for now, so many details to finish.

Coachgeo

Explorer
The deck slides forward one foot to accommodate my queen mattress. The bed is just 4" thick foam so it folds up in the back when I push it in. The queen mattress is only 80 inches long so I have an extra 7 to play with. Not sure what I'll do yet, but most likely some sort of headboard with storage. .... Talk about a change inside. For so long I've been working in this cavernous 14 x 8 foot box. Now half of it is taken up by a bed/garage. Probably not a favorite set up for a lot of folks but I've found it to be the best for my lifestyle. Bikes and toys always inside clean and secure.
View attachment 460308
Actually... there are plenty others thinking like yourself on this. Am thinking of going pretty much the same though I may go only with a Full size mattress. I'm thin and don't move much while sleeping and my GF (sorta?) is small thin-ishs woman so Full should do and leave little more space. Box on mine is 14.5.

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
enjoy tom! spent another weekend on mine ... got most of the driver side interior roughed out with cabinets for the refrig, where the cooktop will be etc, and closed in that back/passenger side compartment. started running LP gas lines and stubbing out water etc ... darn i need more weekends to get this thing done! i know what you mean though as far as staring and contemplating how to frame and box things in - i've done fairly extensive home renovations, but those are all level and fairly obvious how to proceed .... not so with these types of projects! your rig is awesome, hope you can enjoy it for a bit before finishing off the punch list!

Mattersnots

Adventurer
enjoy tom! spent another weekend on mine ... got most of the driver side interior roughed out with cabinets for the refrig, where the cooktop will be etc, and closed in that back/passenger side compartment. started running LP gas lines and stubbing out water etc ... darn i need more weekends to get this thing done! i know what you mean though as far as staring and contemplating how to frame and box things in - i've done fairly extensive home renovations, but those are all level and fairly obvious how to proceed .... not so with these types of projects! your rig is awesome, hope you can enjoy it for a bit before finishing off the punch list!

It's good to hear you are out there working on it Jim. I'm not sure I could do this project with only weekends. Like you said, never ending weekends. I'll be in your neck of the woods around the end of August. Shall we get together for a photo shoot and share build stories? I'd like to see how you managed to do the lights, raise the steps, etc.

Britboaters

Observer
Tom, could you please let us know the offset or backspacing of those wheels ?
I'm assuming same wheels front and back ?
Thanks
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles