2009-2012 or NEW 2013 G class for overlanding?

Jwestpro

Explorer
I know he is in US but I´m sure Entdecker would sell him a vehicle if he has the $$$.

USA residents cannot actually license/register for public use, any G other than the NAS G550, G63, or previous years G55, G500, unless you go much older like G320/280 or anything older than 25 years.

So, a new Endecker is impossible regardless of $$$ or $$$$$$$ ;) We could set up a G500 in similar fashion but it would still have the NAS V8 engines, single rear door as opposed to your available twin doors.

In US $ this year a "base model" G550 is at least $115,000 but you do get ventilated seats to ease the burn from that price tag ;)

Jwestpro

Explorer
Just over a year from the start of this thread. Many over since your first one in 09. You finally get your G?

No, waited and waited. Currently my 2007 Land Rover LR3, with over $30,000 in additional modifications/ad ons (including labor), is in the shop for strange transmission issue and new front end bushings (93,000 miles). Luckily, if you look past the initial investment, the extended warranty I bought for $4600 will cover any issue that comes up until 100,000 miles or next November 2015... it has thus far paid for about $8000 USD in repairs.

What it has not paid for is all the times I've had to deal with taking it in or the constant underlying worry over what the next light on the dash will be....

Jwestpro

Explorer
Jwest if you're ever in SoCal hit me up. Drive my 2014 land cruiser on full icon sus on 10 ply 33s before you make a decision. It'll be an easy sell is my guess.

Ps that whole upgrade to tundra brakes is complete tomfoolery. The stock brakes are moooore than adequate.

Well, thank you for the offer....I'm lucky to know someone from the IH8mud forum with a 2013 and 33" Goodyear Duratracs but on factory suspension parts. I have been driving on "10 ply" tires for the past 12 years on the Land Rovers, although the air suspension is entirely different than yours or a G steel sprung design. I would love to see what an ICON suspended LC200 feels like though.

With any luck I and the LR3 will be near middle CA next couple weeks. If we need to visit a dealer in your area, I will ask for you to pick me up ;)

Scott Brady

Founder
So, a new Endecker is impossible regardless of $$$ or $$$$$$$ ;) We could set up a G500 in similar fashion but it would still have the NAS V8 engines, single rear door as opposed to your available twin doors.

Not exactly. You can buy an Entdecker and just not use it here in the USA. Register it in Switzerland, drive it around the world.

A vehicle like an Entdecker is better suited to the remote, exotic places of the world anyways. The G500 or G55 is a better choice in the US. I deliberated at length about swapping to a diesel or keeping the gas motor. In the end, I am happy with the gas engine for North American travel. We just don't have the range requirements that demand the diesel, and our fuel is cheap.
IMG_5595.jpg

devonojas

Not exactly. You can buy an Entdecker and just not use it here in the USA. Register it in Switzerland, drive it around the world.

A vehicle like an Entdecker is better suited to the remote, exotic places of the world anyways. The G500 or G55 is a better choice in the US. I deliberated at length about swapping to a diesel or keeping the gas motor. In the end, I am happy with the gas engine for North American travel. We just don't have the range requirements that demand the diesel, and our fuel is cheap.
IMG_5595.jpg

Hi Scott,

It's Devon from @ontheroadhome Insta. I hope you're well!

I've seen you mention this idea of registering a vehicle in Switzerland a couple of times. Is there some information that you could point me to about how to do this?

The reason I ask: I'm not sure if you've come across the Gelandewagen Ambulance build thread that I've been posting to over the last year, but I bought this truck about a year ago and have been touring it all over Europe and Morocco with the intention of importing it to the US later this year. I'm still planning on bringing this rig stateside, but we've been having such a good time over there that we're thinking that this could be a great idea for us: building a rig to tour the world in, but not bring to the US. I'm researching ways of registering it outside of the US as a non resident, and this is one of the only things I've seen mentioned as an option. Any advise much appreciated!

Thanks,
Devon

Nathansharkey80

Hi Scott,

I've seen you mention this idea of registering a vehicle in Switzerland a couple of times. Is there some information that you could point me to about how to do this?

The reason I ask: I'm not sure if you've come across the Gelandewagen Ambulance build thread that I've been posting to over the last year, but I bought this truck about a year ago and have been touring it all over Europe and Morocco with the intention of importing it to the US later this year. I'm still planning on bringing this rig stateside, but we've been having such a good time over there that we're thinking that this could be a great idea for us: building a rig to tour the world in, but not bring to the US. I'm researching ways of registering it outside of the US as a non resident, and this is one of the only things I've seen mentioned as an option. Any advise much appreciated!

Thanks,
Devon

You can register the vehicle in the country of Georgia and not be a resident of Georgia. I would also like to mention that Georgia has some of the worlds most amazing places for off-highway vehicle travel. The costs are very reasonable in Georgia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nathansharkey80

Hi Scott,

Thanks,
Devon

You can register the vehicle in the country of Georgia and not be a resident of Georgia. I would also like to mention that Georgia has some of the worlds most amazing places for off-highway vehicle travel. The costs are very reasonable in Georgia.

Nathansharkey80

Hi Scott,

Thanks,
Devon

Nathansharkey80

Hi Scott,

Thanks,
Devon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles