2008 SMB High Top, LWB, Diesel, 50,000 miles.

RTD37

The modifications listed below are what I’ve added to this 2008 high-top Sportsmobile. Everything on this list was a preventative replacement, or modification that enhanced the longevity of the vehicle. I replaced these components based on the common points of failure with the 6.0 PSD, with the intent to build long lasting reliability. We were never left stranded while living out of the van, but there was room for improvement. The current mileage is 49,915, is located in north western Montana, and is parked in a garage, out of the elements when not being used. $95K, photos to follow shortly.

We purchased it from the original owner in 2017, and lived in it for most of the year, with a dog while looking for a place to live. This van seats and sleeps two adults and a couple dogs comfortably. Once we stopped living out of the van, I wanted to rebuild it. Correcting the issues that are common to Sportsmobiles, and the 6.0 PSD mill were the primary reasons. Having a winter project was another motivation, as I enjoy working with machinery. Over the course of the next year, through the Montana winter, this project sprung to life.

We previously owned an Earthcruiser FX, and quickly found the limitations for getting it into tight trails with low tree canopy’s, and also with the Fuso platform in terms of reliability, and performance. About a year after purchase, we sold it, and found this Sportsmobile. Earthcruiser did an excellent job with the house build out. Many of the components in this build were inspired by Earthcruiser’s M/P/E punch list. Panels, marine equipment, water filtration, heating, etc.

The Sportsmobile platform excelled at the things that challenged the Earthcruiser. It was capable of getting into tighter, more challenging terrain. Had true front and rear locking differentials, and could cruise normal highway speeds on grades. It accelerated, shifted, and braked better. The Sportsmobile build quality of everything other than the chassis was less than ideal. The cabinets and millwork were all MDF, it had a tiny fiberglass sink that was difficult to use. The Sportsmobile factory bed was uncomfortable. It utilized a fold down bench seat, and a puzzle of cushions to form the sleeping surface. We value restorative sleep; living on the road full time can be exhausting at times.

I converted the original floor plan to a dedicated full size mattress (Inofia 73”x52” memory foam with pillow top cover). There was no room under the original seat/ bed to store long cargo such as skis because the inverter, domestic water tank, and seat bracing occupied all of the space.

We wanted to have the ability to haul long cargo should the need arise. The mechanical, electrical, and plumbing now reside by the wheel wells, leaving a center channel to haul skis, lumber, or secure a couple bicycles if needed. The bed platform can be removed to access this space, it and the bed can be stored on a rear shelf above the living area, to the rear in the roof extension.

The cabinets are now plywood, with a birch butcher block galley top, and a 15” x15”Ruvati stainless steel deep sink with removable colander, and inset cutting board. There is no on board cook top, we usually cook outside on portable butane burners. This gives more flexibility in cooking, and keeps spatter, smoke and heat down to a minimum.

*Note, when I disassembled Sportsmobile’s original house wiring I was surprised to find no dedicated ground bus. Many grounds were grounded to the body, next to whatever appliance they serviced. I also found several butt splices on long runs of both positive & ground wires.

Sportsmobile used a GE residential breaker panel, Romex AC wiring, and no marine wiring for anything else. I replaced everything with tinned marine grade wiring, breakers, switches, lighting & panels.

All interior lighting has been changed from incandescent to marine grade LED.

Thetford cassette toilet. No shower, we use a portable solar shower bag, and the sink to sponge off. One could easily plumb a shower in, but I found having a dedicated shower unnecessary in a small vehicle. I probably missed something on the list.

We live in quiet rural area in NW Montana, and no longer need this truck for retreating to the woods. I also prefer camping off of a motorcycle or bicycle.

Engine & Transmission:

New Parts:

Engine Electrical:

FICM Repair PHP Atlas 40 FICM. Not a voltage modified FICM, but software modified. The injectors are designed to work in a 45-50 volt range. This FICM gives the benefits of a voltage modification, but at the OEM voltage. Easier cold starts, lower FICM temps, longer FICM life, modest HP gains, (up to 40hp), better throttle response. Injector life is not compromised either by the software modified FICM.

FICM relay.

Leece Neville 230 Amp alternator, with underdrive pulley.

1/0 charge cables with 250 amp fuse block to support high output alternator, and improve charge efficiency. This also aids FICM performance, and all other accessories run from engine electrical.

Mean Green 6675 6.4 high torque starter.

Edge Insight CTS 3. No tune, just monitoring, code scanning.

Engine batteries are a year old.

Fuel:

IPR valve.

Fuel pressure regulator (blue spring). Keeps pressure above the critical 45psi aiding the prevention of injector damage, and no starting issues.

HCFM

6.4 PSD injector supply Banjo Bolts. Updated without check valves, increased flow.

Supply & return lines from HFCM to upper filter/return housing.

High pressure oil pump, updated STC fitting.

Upgraded stand pipe & dummy plugs.

10W 30 Amsoil full synthetic, with Hot Shot Stiction Eliminator. The injectors in the 6.0 tend to varnish around the heads of the injectors. The varnish can cause the injectors to stick and, induce a rough idle. The anti-stiction additive can save the injectors from failing, by keeping the spool valves in the injector operating freely.

Turbocharger:

New (stock) Garrett turbocharger (not reman).

Intercooler boots.

Turbo oil feed & drain lines. The drain tube allows faster drains, and sits more squarely in the opening. The result will be less oil coking the turbo.

Cooling:

OEM Radiator.

OEM oil cooler.

Bullet Proof Diesel billet water pump.

Upper & lower radiator hoses.

Heater hoses.

Thermostat.

Degas cap.

Belt, belt tensioner, & idler pulley.

Welded EGR cooler, New EGR valve installed.

IPR full flow coolant filter. Protects oil cooler from clogging, and extends life of water pump.

The engine block drains now have Mishimoto valves installed to aid when flushing coolant. I no longer need to remove the starter to access passenger side block drain.

Rotella ELC (Cat -1 EC rated) coolant is now used instead of the Motorcraft Gold, which was a huge contributor to 6.0 issues.

Transmission:

Diesel Site remote transmission filter. Protects the transmission in the case of a torque converter failure by catching the debris before it can make it back to the transmission.

No need to drop the pan for filter changes, the OEM filter will only require changing approximately every 100,000 miles.

The fluid in pan stays clean, protecting the transmission from debris, filter canister acts as a small heat exchanger, bypass valve allows fluid flow if the filter plugs with debris, spin on filter replacements are less expensive than the OEM style.

Mag-Hytec deep 16q transmission pan with 6.4 filter.

Stage 2 direct solenoid (3-5 shifts) Increases line pressure, stronger shifts, less clutch slip.

EPC solenoid (increased main line pressure & clutch pressure)

Aluminum transmission dummy plugs.

Tru Cool 40K transmission oil cooler.

New Sensors & misc.

Oil pressure switch.

Coolant temp sensor.

Oil temp sensor.

Intake air temp sensor.

Injector control pressure sensor.

OEM vacuum pump.

CCV removed from intake & routed externally to the rear of vehicle. This keeps oil out of the intake system, boots, and turbo. It als helps the intercooler efficiency.

Five 315/70/17 BFG AT K02 E load range, approximately 2500 miles on them.

Existing equipment:

Amsoil dual bypass oil filter

Advanced Adapters Atlas II, 2 speed transfer case.

46 gallon transfer flow fuel tank.

Dynatrack 60 full floating rear axle.

Dynatrack 60 front axle, warn hubs.

ARB lockers front & rear, with new compressor.

Aluminess bumpers, tire carrier & storage box.

Warn 12.5k winch.

Interior

RTD37

Cab:

New OEM headliner & sun visors

New seat foam, & OEM covers.

New OEM molded rubber floor mat.

House:

Eastwood X-Mat Aluminized rubber sound & heat barrier.

Eastwood spray on heat & sound barrier coating.

New Espar Airtronic D2 diesel cabin heater.

New Espar Hydronic D5 diesel coolant heater.

New silicon coolant hoses.

New AIC brazed flat plate heat exchanger. The original heat exchanger was mounted under the chassis leaving it exposed to debris, and freezing temps. It is now mounted in the cabin.

New 24 gallon fresh water tank. The original tank was 12 gallons.

8 gallon grey water tank, with new gate valve.

New Whale 2gpm fresh water pump.

New Seagull IV X-1 water purification filter (cold side).

New Shurflow accumulator tank.

New Isotherm Cruise 130 Elegance 4.6 cubic feet marine refrigerator.

Existing Xantrex Prosine 2.0 inverter.

Existing Blue Sky Solar Boost 2000E controller.

130 Watt Kyocera solar panel.

Electrical

New Blue Sea marine AC/DC panel with room for expansion.

New Blue Sea marine fused sub panel.

8D AGM house battery, mounted on a pull out tray. Now able to be serviced by a single person.

New Sure Power battery isolator.

Manual switch to link house & engine battery failsafe.

30 AMP shore power with dedicated marine breaker.

All wiring is tinned marine grade.

3 switched Blue Sea 12v & USB outlets.

1 15Amp 120VAC outlet.

All terminals are marine grade with heat shrink insulators.

Grounds run to dedicated bus on sub panel or main panel.

There are no body grounds.

All positive feeds are home run to panel, no splices.

There are also a couple 6.0PSD specific tools that will go with the van.

Accurate Diesel IPR air test tool for determining leaks in the high pressure oil system. This system operates the fuel injectors. This tool makes it easy to diagnoses leaks in the high pressure oil system.

6.0 PSD fan clutch removal tool secures the pulley housing to remove the clutch nut.

IPR valve socket.

Coolant filter removal tool.

I recently took a rock to the windshield, resulting in a crack. It will be replaced.

Please send me a PM for further questions or clarifications, I will respond as soon as possible. I spend much of the day away from cell service, I check my devices in the evening.

Thanks for looking,

Rob

RTD37

IMG_20210716_082945.jpgIMG_20210716_082945.jpgIMG_20210716_083014.jpgIMG_20210716_083116.jpgIMG_20210716_083206.jpgIMG_20210716_083227.jpgIMG_20210716_083231.jpgIMG_20210716_083236.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210716_083039.jpg
    IMG_20210716_083039.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 877

RTD37

Did you buy this from a specialty NY dealership in 2017 on consignment?
I did, the original owner consigned it at a shop in the Hamptons. Finding a high top in good condition was challenging, and I was in a bit of a time crunch to find a rig.

poisondoc

I thought I recognized the unique top and color as indicating some celebrity provenance? It's a great rig and you've done an amazing job on improving it - GLWS.

Msand

Importer
I did, the original owner consigned it at a shop in the Hamptons. Finding a high top in good condition was challenging, and I was in a bit of a time crunch to find a rig.
Yeah, I have some photos of me and Jimmy Buffett going surfing in this rig somewhere- Jimmy was the previous owner. He had a wetsuit dryer built in, along with a custom board holder for his SUP board that mounted on the passenger exterior.

dixoncj

I oversaw the buildout on this van for JB. And got to travel in it with my family too — very much fun. Looks like you took care of her! A very unique and capable rig. Good luck with the sale! Lemme know if you want some more history on her.

JamesER

Cab:

New OEM headliner & sun visors

New seat foam, & OEM covers.

New OEM molded rubber floor mat.

House:

Eastwood X-Mat Aluminized rubber sound & heat barrier.

Eastwood spray on heat & sound barrier coating.

New Espar Airtronic D2 diesel cabin heater.

New Espar Hydronic D5 diesel coolant heater.

New silicon coolant hoses.

New AIC brazed flat plate heat exchanger. The original heat exchanger was mounted under the chassis leaving it exposed to debris, and freezing temps. It is now mounted in the cabin.

New 24 gallon fresh water tank. The original tank was 12 gallons.

8 gallon grey water tank, with new gate valve.

New Whale 2gpm fresh water pump.

New Seagull IV X-1 water purification filter (cold side).

New Shurflow accumulator tank.

New Isotherm Cruise 130 Elegance 4.6 cubic feet marine refrigerator.

Existing Xantrex Prosine 2.0 inverter.

Existing Blue Sky Solar Boost 2000E controller.

130 Watt Kyocera solar panel.

Electrical

New Blue Sea marine AC/DC panel with room for expansion.

New Blue Sea marine fused sub panel.

8D AGM house battery, mounted on a pull out tray. Now able to be serviced by a single person.

New Sure Power battery isolator.

Manual switch to link house & engine battery failsafe.

30 AMP shore power with dedicated marine breaker.

All wiring is tinned marine grade.

3 switched Blue Sea 12v & USB outlets.

1 15Amp 120VAC outlet.

All terminals are marine grade with heat shrink insulators.

Grounds run to dedicated bus on sub panel or main panel.

There are no body grounds.

All positive feeds are home run to panel, no splices.

There are also a couple 6.0PSD specific tools that will go with the van.

Accurate Diesel IPR air test tool for determining leaks in the high pressure oil system. This system operates the fuel injectors. This tool makes it easy to diagnoses leaks in the high pressure oil system.

6.0 PSD fan clutch removal tool secures the pulley housing to remove the clutch nut.

IPR valve socket.

Coolant filter removal tool.

I recently took a rock to the windshield, resulting in a crack. It will be replaced.

Please send me a PM for further questions or clarifications, I will respond as soon as possible. I spend much of the day away from cell service, I check my devices in the evening.

Thanks for looking,

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior