2008 Lexus GX 470 Sport - Luxury off-road!

Fellow adventurers! I'm selling my '08 GX470 Sport, and thought I'd post it up here to see if anyone has interest in this fine rig.

I bought this a few years ago, and have done very little to it, aside from purchasing a Prinsu rack (which I'l include in the sale). My wife took the vehicle for a drive one day shortly after I'd bought it, and came back advising that she was commandeering the GX, and that I should figure something else out. No sweat- happy wife, happy life. But... some other shiny thing ended up in our driveway over the weekend, and I can't keep them all, so either this or my other rig has to go. I couldn't decide between the two, so I listed them both for sale, figuring that I'll keep whichever one doesn't sell first.

This GX is a 2008 model, and as such is in the newest 85-95% of production, since the vast majority sold were the earlier models.

image[7].png

They all have the air adjustable suspension, which is part of what makes it an excellent off-roader by allowing an approach angle of 30° and a departure angle of 29°, and it gets the body up better than 2 inches. There’s also hill descent control. Perhaps most important though, is that this GX is in the small minority having the optional Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS) which loosens the GX’s stabilizer bars to give greater articulation over uneven terrain, but also uses front and rear hydraulic pressure-sensing valves and larger stabilizer bars to reduce body roll when on pavement. A very desirable system for someone who doesn’t want to rip out the factory stuff to exchange for several thousand dollars of new trail-oriented components that will in turn make it less suitable for pavement.

The engine—the same V-8 as in the LandCruiser 100/LX470—has 15% more horsepower than the original GX's and the transmission received some improvements over the original as well. This vehicle also have the rear backup camera, Bluetooth compatibility, improved nav system, and the Aux port for connecting electronics, which many don’t. As an added bonus, for foul weather or other times when sitting around in your vehicle watching a movie may make sense, this GX also has DVD playback on the nav screen (when stopped).

Beyond KDSS, the other cool/unusual thing about this one, is that it’s the not-available-until-‘07 **Sport model** that gave it special stuff like the smoked bezel headlamps and the black birdseye maple wood, which I think is better than the more luxury-oriented options.

I bought the GX because I believed (and still do) that there wasn’t any other option that, in stock form, hit such a good balance between being a good daily driver and then doing substantial off-pavement work with no modifications. While this rig is a fine basis for someone who wants to build up a dedicated trail rig, it’s real skill is to be able to commute, go on long highway trips, and do off-pavement stuff, all to a high standard with no modifications. In addition, with the third-row seats, one could theoretically chauffeur a regulation indoor soccer team with ease. Go figure.

All maintenance is up to date, including the thorough (and expensive) 120k mile service, as well as the timing belt/water pump at 94k Miles. The BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO2's are in good shape, and show little wear. Overall, this GX is in excellent condition with hardly a scratch or door ding to speak of. It also has a factory clear bra, so no rock chips either. Exterior is a 9/9.5 out of 10, and the interior is an 8.5-9 out of 10, as there's a bit of wear on the drivers seat bolster and the steering wheel.

Mileage is currently at 147k (and counting), and the vehicle is located in Hood River, OR. Asking price is $17,000, which seems pretty fair given the specs, and the beat up and modified early models that I see on craigslist at similar pricing. Attached photos were taken 9/29/2019.

IMG_20190929_132211.jpg

IMG_20190929_132226.jpg

IMG_20190929_132247.jpg

IMG_20190929_132235.jpg

IMG_20190929_132430.jpg

IMG_20190929_132455.jpg

IMG_20190929_132309.jpg

IMG_20190929_132338.jpg

IMG_20190929_132353.jpg

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
This used to be my truck before I sold it to James, and it is in the top quarter of the dozen or so overlanding vehicles I've had. It'll be an excellent point to start from if you want to spend money making a killer adventure truck like some others have done. On the other hand, James hits it on the head when he mentioned how good it is without making it a dedicated off-roader. If you don't want a Wrangler, a GX470 is about as capable as box stock SUVs get without modifications. 33s fit with no problems and once you detach the bolt-on fiberglass running boards, you're good to go on moderately difficult trails while still having a safe, comfy, and quiet pavement cruise while getting there.

It drove nearly the same as both the Hundreds I had, but I liked the GX better, mostly for being narrower and easier to place, and it got a couple mpgs better. And after getting used to it, I found that about two-thirds of the time, the goofy rear door setup was quicker and easier than a lift gate.

Anyway, buy it if you'll want to spend $20K on it and you'll have a really nice (and super cushy) wheeler. But if you'd rather not commit to building and paying for a dedicated trail truck, a KDSS GX470 only needs a set of traction panels and a compressor thrown in the rear to be able to go most everywhere you'd plausibly want to go as an overlander.

Good luck with the sale, James. Hope it finds a good home.

A.Deans

Although I highly doubt it'll be unsold by then, if it isn't already, If this is available in June 2020 I'll be all over it.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Which liter engine exactly does this have in it? I'm in the lookout for a better tug than my present 2011 4Runner. I have a Mission Overland trailer that weighs in at ~ 3,200 lbs loaded and want something with a bit more umph in the mountains.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
The engine is the same 4.7 liter V-8 that's also used in Land Cruisers, Sequoias, Tundras, etc. and they have a pretty good reputation for reliability. I've owned five vehicles with that engine and have had zero problems. By the time 2008 came around, it was rated at 263 horsepower and 323 pound-feet of torque. So no more horsepower than your 4Runner, but a bit more torque. Plenty smooth, but nothing special for fuel efficiency.

HOWEVER, I do know that this GX got sold a few weeks ago. Sadly, rather than being bought by an ExPo guy, it went to someone looking for a solid commuting rig (which it is) and not someone who was excited about the KDSS, KO2s and general off-roadability. Unfortunate, in my opinion, since a stock Gen 1 KDSS GX is about as useful off-pavement as stock luxury SUVs get.

Texagon

Texagonian
Hey Mike, I was the guy that bought this GX. I've been on ExPo for years but this actually may be my first post. Both you and James took great care of this SUV. It's a great vehicle as I get to know more about it over the last couple of months that I've owned it. You are right that my original intention was to have a good daily driver since I already have a 2012 FJ Cruiser that I've built into a camping, exploring, dune running, etc. vehicle. However, what definitely drew me to the GX platform of these years was their ability off road and their (relatively) massive interior space when compared to the FJC. James was kind enough to give me the platforms he made for the rear cabin that he used for a fridge and general load-out platform. I even bought his Prinsu rack off of him kind of at the last minute *in case* I decided to take this guy off road. I'm glad I did. I definitely want to get this guy off road some to see what it can do.

So anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the descriptions you wrote on James' ad. It definitely helped me make the decision to go take a look at it in the first place.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thanks, Don, for letting me know that my well-loved GX may get some off-road use from a knowledgeable owner. Makes me feel good. Every vehicle has its strengths and weaknesses, but of all the overlanders I've had, this GX was the best one I've owned for using stock with just a tire swap.

I'm glad James passed on those quick-and-dirty plywood pieces so you have a bit of a head start; it was both a good way to mount things like my Power Tank and cover up all those seat mounts Swiss-cheesing the load area. The GX is, as you mentioned, pretty big inside and thus more than decent for sleeping one person inside once you slide all the gear over to one edge. Also, you can get the second row seats out pretty easy, and if you leave in one of the reclining third-row fold-up seats in place, you'll have enough floor space for sleeping and gear while still having a nice place to sit in the back.

In any event, have some good travels and adventures with it. If you ever have any questions, just let me know.

Texagon

Texagonian
I'm glad James passed on those quick-and-dirty plywood pieces
Did you make those? I figured James did. I definitely wouldn't use "quick and dirty" to describe them. The measurements are spot on and everything is sanded and all edges routed/smoothed. I was impressed by them. And thanks for the offer of asking questions about the GX. I may take you up on that from time to time.

Perfect combination: FJC and GX470!

Thanks cactusjk!

Here's the other hobby/money pit.
DSC_1255.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier