2008 Ford F 350 Diesel

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Anyone got any real world experience? I hear lots of horror stories of:

-- Poor mileage

-- Blown radiators

-- Serious engine failures

Anyone own one and if so, would you buy it again?

I had one. I was getting 12 mpg in town 13 on the highway. Not good for sure. I did replace the radiator at 37k miles, luckily I bought it from a great dealer as it would have been 1k out of warranty.

While I probably wouldnt buy a 6.4 again, I really like the interior design in the 08+ ford super dutys. I would definantly consider the new 6.7 if I had the money, but I am not to crazy about the "over the top" grille.

Last edited:

DT75FLH

Adventurer
I had the pleasure of a early 08 job 1 truck.

so...went through 3 radiatiors, dpf cracked (2k repair btw), stearing box replaced, few programing changes. the truck was stock.

loved the truck and interior (my second super duty)...but had a few issues..

the biggest for me was it broke down on a vacation that cost me a few days of vacation time. and the biggest was it started to make a little oil. ford said it was in spec, but my fuel mileage (which sucked btw) went from 11-13 down to 10.5 with the wife driving (all highway) took it back to ford, which is a 150 mile round trip for me and they would not even look at it. this is a dealer that i bought 3 trucks and 2 cars from. and i was a "premere" customer and knew the service writer. and ford told me to pound sand.

so when dodge went to the new body style with a true CC and had 1.9 finacing I switched. I'm now at 15-16.5 mpg on the hwy (cc 4x4 3500) with 15k miles on it and zero trips to the dealer. plus since this eng/trans combo has been in place since 08 all the bugs have been worked out with turbo/programing change.

I will never again buy the first year model diesel engine no matter what the mfg hype is. I bought into fords testing of the 08 before i bought it.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Many Thanks!

Deeply appreciate the candid responses.

Sigh! I guess I will have to wait until I can afford a 2011! :(

realslimbrady

I have a job 3 2008. I haven't had any issues and i'm at 55K miles. I love the truck but only get around 11.5 MPH in town and 15.5 MPH if i keep it under 70 MPH.

Rot Box

Explorer
My brother has logged over 120k on a F450 with the 6.4 and auto trans since it was brand new and it is still going strong. It is a work truck and it is loaded down with a utility bed and lots of tools--it gets worked pretty hard 6 days a week. Problems so far include a steering box replacement and its on its FOURTH (no typo :Wow1:) radiator. Other than that it has been very reliable and very powerful as long as its not cycling the DPF. He typically gets 8 mpg sometimes lower--sometimes higher (slightly higher LOL!).

The major turnoff for me is the emissions equipment and although these seem to be great trucks that is the deal breaker for me. Getting rid of the DPF and equipment will gain a big difference in fuel mileage and power, but it is illegal in most (if not all?) states. I just don't like the design and function of it and there aren't a lot of options out there to improve it. Just my .02.

Andrew

cjmitchell5

Adventurer
Anyone got any real world experience? I hear lots of horror stories of:

-- Poor mileage

-- Blown radiators

-- Serious engine failures

Anyone own one and if so, would you buy it again?

g'day! or howzit (given current locale) long time since we've talked! A few trips "There and Back Again" have kept me busy.

Not terribly familiar with the '08 but just to add to the confusion: while I currently own a 7.3 PSD XL that I love, I've looked into some more civilized models. Honestly, and against most beliefs, the last of the dreaded 6.0 PSD's are excellent examples. If you believe wiki; they are reported to have the lowest incidence of warranty work of all ford engines diesel or petrol. Once I get back on the mainland I'll be looking hard at another truck for towing the ponies and 06's will get first look.

I hope the family and you are all doing well!

contento

Observer
Jesus, why would anyone even bother buying these new diesels with the DPF. You lose any incentive of increased mileage when they choke the engines with BS emissions equipment.

My company runs 4 duramax diesels from 06-08 and not one of them has given us a major problem other than one blew a water pump at 140k. None of them returns less than 14mpg, and these vans/trucks are loaded with all kinds of tools and fittings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier