2008 Duramax Turbodiesel

GlobalMonkey

Adventurer
I have a few questions about 2008 Duramax Turbdiesel:
1.Can I use Biodiesel in 2008 Duramax?
2.Will it run on Diesel sold in South America?

Thanks, Tomas

haven

Expedition Leader
The advice from GM is to run no more than B5 in the 2008 Duramax. I don't know if this is due to the new emissions equipment (biodiesel produces somewhat more Nitrous oxides than dino diesel) , or to some problem with deterioration of the fuel system.

Running any 2008 diesel south of the border will probably kill your emissions equipment. The required ultra low sulfur diesel is not widely distributed in Mexico, and nonexistent in other countries in Central America at this point.

Removing the emissions equipment before the trip is probably not an option, due to all the computer monitoring of the emissions controls. The truck might refuse to start if it thinks the emissions gear is missing!

This is speculation on my part. We need somebody to dismantle the emissions gear on their $40,000 truck, and let us know what happens!

milo12

Adventurer
I have a 2008 Dodge diesel and we also are restricted to B5 maximum. The problem is any higher biodiesel content can damage the injectors and emissions equipment. Removing the emissions equipment is a violation of federal law with a $10,000 per day fine. But if you search the diesel forums you will find the emissions equipment has a tendency to fall off but the trucks run much better.:shakin:

If you are in another country then you will need to remove the emissions equipment so you can run the local diesel fuel whuch is not ULSD.

Guinness44

Adventurer
Did you get an 08 already? If not they must be killer deals out there to get a pre 07 emissions truck. Then you burn whatever diesel (biodiesel would need some different fuellines, and gaskets). The 07 and newer trucks, are nice, BUT not crazy about the 1000 F degree plus heat that it takes to burn out the particles in the filter. A fire waiting to happen. Also any messing with the exhaustsystem turns the truck into a trailerqueen. The computer has the saying not the owner.

GlobalMonkey

Adventurer
Guinness44 said:
Did you get an 08 already? If not they must be killer deals out there to get a pre 07 emissions truck. Then you burn whatever diesel (biodiesel would need some different fuellines, and gaskets). The 07 and newer trucks, are nice, BUT not crazy about the 1000 F degree plus heat that it takes to burn out the particles in the filter. A fire waiting to happen. Also any messing with the exhaustsystem turns the truck into a trailerqueen. The computer has the saying not the owner.

I was very close to buying an '08. The dealer was giving me $10,000 discount on a brand new 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Crew cab long bed with Duramax. I was very tempted. Tomas

BigTaco

Observer
I work Vehicle Maintenance for the Airforce. Make sure that you get the correct 5% mixture of Bio Desiel for your truck. Some ones bright idea to "lead the way" had fuels start making 20% bio. We have had problems with brand new trucks before they even hit 2K miles. One 06 Ford was so bad it went to the dealer. They took the intake manifold off and had to replace it b/c it was so cloged with the junk from the bio that they couldn't even clean it. Have had to do fuel filters almost weekly on some other trucks.

GlobalMonkey

Adventurer
Gas mileage

What should I expect for a gas mileage on a 2008 Chevrolet Silverad 3500 HD with Duramax Turbodiesel and Allison automatic transmission, single rear wheels?

jeeperaz

Observer
GlobalMonkey said:
What should I expect for a gas mileage on a 2008 Chevrolet Silverad 3500 HD with Duramax Turbodiesel and Allison automatic transmission, single rear wheels?

It really depends on your driving style and the type of roads(hwy vs city/flat vs hills).

Flat hwy travel, you can get 20mpg after the motor is broken in. Perhaps 16 city.

milo12

Adventurer
:xxrotflma

20 mpg, thats a good one. That was true for the older trucks but the new emissions hardware killed the mileage. You will find people now get 12-14 around town and 16 hwy if they drive like grandma. But if the emissions stuff falls off you can get 20 mpg.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
But at the same time, I wanted to point out that there have been "requirements" of "not more than 5%" since the inception of the Duramax, and people have run even 100% religiously with few problems. For example there is a local contract that produces all of the fuel for his construction business, all powered by Duramax, at 100% blends as the outside temp allows. The biodiesel has somewhat drastically reduced emissions, 60% less particulate matter. I believe this would cause more turmoil in a computerized emissions system than a 0-8% increase in NOx depending on the blend of biodiesel. The largest issue with biodiesel and duramaxes is water in the fuel and the very restrictive/small micron filters they use. I have heard of injectors cooked here and there (versus any other manufacturer) and chronic filter changing with Duramax more than any other problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior