2007 Yukon XL K1500 low lift with 37"s

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
It's been a crazy summer but I think I might be back to playing with the truck.

Lot's and lots of miles this summer, many highway miles, many dirt roads and a couple trails that required absolutely no modifications to run so building up the Yukon has not been a high priority.

Old tires are worn beyond their usable life so it's time to step it up a notch to 33x11.5" or 285/70R17

UVHErCe.jpg

Temporary spare tires 265/60R18

Achzdct.jpg

New 285/70R17s.

There is a little bit of rubbing up front requiring a slight trim but perfectly derivable as it is.

Getting some ideas for the next step and will try to do something next week.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

I'm super curious what it would take to fit 37s on this setup. I'm about to go to 35s but really prefer to go the 37 route. I know I'll need to trim the back of the front fender (norcal mod) to fit 35s. Do you think 37s fit without major surgery? The same seems true of the front side of the rear fender. I'm like you - I don't want to go tall. I'm running Icons up front with 2.5" of lift and Dobinson 2" lift springs in the rear which is perfect for me. I'd be curious what you think.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I'm super curious what it would take to fit 37s on this setup. I'm about to go to 35s but really prefer to go the 37 route. I know I'll need to trim the back of the front fender (norcal mod) to fit 35s. Do you think 37s fit without major surgery? The same seems true of the front side of the rear fender. I'm like you - I don't want to go tall. I'm running Icons up front with 2.5" of lift and Dobinson 2" lift springs in the rear which is perfect for me. I'd be curious what you think.

mrpeterclark,

35s are nice but 37s are nicer, 40s are nicest! To fit 37s on 2007-2010 Suburban 1500 with minimal lift you will need 3" body spacers kit, F150 torsion keys or Atomic FAB coilover kit up front, 3" coil spacers in the rear, same length shocks up front and 1-2" longer shocks in the rear. 2-3" of fender trimming front and rear and finally need to figure out the optimal offset for both front and rear wheels.

You need to find the right width spacers for rear wheel to be out wide enough that it clears the inside of the wheel well but also close enough that it tucks into the outside of the wheel well. I ended up using 2" rear spacers and +44mm offset rims.

For fronts using the same wheels I only needed a 1.25" spacer to clear inside of wheel wells and keep the scrub radius small enough to prevent rubbing on the frame.

If you flip through the pages of my 2000 Suburban build, I documented the fender trimming process front and rear pretty well.

Which Dobbinson coils are you using, I didn't know they made coils for GM SUVs.

Hope this helps.

mrpeterclark,

35s are nice but 37s are nicer, 40s are nicest! To fit 37s on 2007-2010 Suburban 1500 with minimal lift you will need 3" body spacers kit, F150 torsion keys or Atomic FAB coilover kit up front, 3" coil spacers in the rear, same length shocks up front and 1-2" longer shocks in the rear. 2-3" of fender trimming front and rear and finally need to figure out the optimal offset for both front and rear wheels.

You need to find the right width spacers for rear wheel to be out wide enough that it clears the inside of the wheel well but also close enough that it tucks into the outside of the wheel well. I ended up using 2" rear spacers and +44mm offset rims.

For fronts using the same wheels I only needed a 1.25" spacer to clear inside of wheel wells and keep the scrub radius small enough to prevent rubbing on the frame.

If you flip through the pages of my 2000 Suburban build, I documented the fender trimming process front and rear pretty well.

Which Dobbinson coils are you using, I didn't know they made coils for GM SUVs.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply.
Dobinson 2" lift rear springs (C09-045)

did you end up doing 37s on your 07 or is that the info for the previous body style? The 07+ don’t use torsion keys.

I’ve only ever seen 37s on really lifted models and they did a lot of cutting. I don’t want a super tall truck. The moderately lifted trucks I’ve seen with 35s still have rubbing even after some inner fender cutting. I’m thinking it might be major surgery to go to 37s on a low lift

Attachments

• F92519AB-386A-4D61-984F-2430D953A6C4.jpeg
    F92519AB-386A-4D61-984F-2430D953A6C4.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 25

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Thanks for the reply.
Dobinson 2" lift rear springs (C09-045)

did you end up doing 37s on your 07 or is that the info for the previous body style? The 07+ don’t use torsion keys.

I’ve only ever seen 37s on really lifted models and they did a lot of cutting. I don’t want a super tall truck. The moderately lifted trucks I’ve seen with 35s still have rubbing even after some inner fender cutting. I’m thinking it might be major surgery to go to 37s on a low lift

I only have pictures on the 07 with 37s just to see what they look like. Still have 37s on my 00. I think I am going to end up doing a 3" body lift and 37s on my 07 eventually. Just way too many projects at the moment.

07 has struts, no torsion bars. To fit 37s on GMT900 you will need to do at least a 8" lift with no trimming. If you are willing to trim you can do it with a 3" body lift and lots and lots of fender trimming. Also you will be limited to 37x12.5s and really have to figure out the perfect wheel offset with either rims or spacers. 13.5s do not fit without rubbing unless you do a minimum 6" diff drop lift.

Low or moderate lift under 4" with 35s or 37s both look great and are much more practical on the trail than high lift mall crawlers. If you use a body lift you will only need minor body surgery to fit 37s.

I only have pictures on the 07 with 37s just to see what they look like. Still have 37s on my 00. I think I am going to end up doing a 3" body lift and 37s on my 07 eventually. Just way too many projects at the moment.

07 has struts, no torsion bars. To fit 37s on GMT900 you will need to do at least a 8" lift with no trimming. If you are willing to trim you can do it with a 3" body lift and lots and lots of fender trimming. Also you will be limited to 37x12.5s and really have to figure out the perfect wheel offset with either rims or spacers. 13.5s do not fit without rubbing unless you do a minimum 6" diff drop lift.

Low or moderate lift under 4" with 35s or 37s both look great and are much more practical on the trail than high lift mall crawlers. If you use a body lift you will only need minor body surgery to fit 37s.
I think it's 35s for me then. I don't want to lift it that much - body or otherwise.

blu88

I just picked up a 08 2500 sub amd saw this thread. Thanks for putting these ideas im my head...
(Read comments on the woes of your 2500, but I'll take my chances with the larger drivetrain components if i ever do mount my 37s from my old dodge)

I have done the norcal mod on two different trucks with great success with 33s and nothing else. The link below may help open thngs up a bit more.

(Edit: i used the wedge for a 2008 silverado 1500 to clear a set of 34" LTBs with the nor cal mod on stock 17 inch escalade wheels. Sold the truck a while ago and pics are long gone, ?)

Last edited:

blu88

What offset are you running on your 2000?

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
What offset are you running on your 2000?

blu88,

Not exactly sure on the offset. using 17" weld racing rims, they look like about 30mm offset as well as 1.25" spacers in the font and 2" spacers in the rear. This combination gives me the most ideal scrub radius with no rubbing.

Hope that helps

blu88

blu88,

Not exactly sure on the offset. using 17" weld racing rims, they look like about 30mm offset as well as 1.25" spacers in the font and 2" spacers in the rear. This combination gives me the most ideal scrub radius with no rubbing.

Hope that helps
Thank you for your reply. I should have asked what your backspacing is on your 37s. (was looking at customoffsets website for a clue, and found none..

Making a few a$$umptions (you know what that does, lol), those are probably 17x8 or 10ish wheels. Summit says their weld wheels are 6.2 backspacing, so with 2 inch spacers, that puts you just over 4 inches backspacing. that's about what I ran on my old dodge (37 16.5 Goodyears, the 24 bolt variety). Well the back at least....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles