2007 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Mercedes Turbo Diesel - Engine damage - $15k obo

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi All,

I'm selling my recently converted 2007 JK Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with engine damage.
I will be as detailed here as I possibly can be. I have sunk an enormous amount of time and money into this, and now there is engine damage I must walk away.
It breaks my heart, but my loss is your gain.

This would be the perfect vehicle to either rebuild/replace the Mercedes engine, or do a HEMI / LS or 4BT swap on.
It could also be parted out for the Rubicon parts on it.

Here is a video of the Mercedes Diesel engine running in the Jeep, just after it started for the first time. The camera makes it sound louder than it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8MqzqLXcT0
(Ignore the rear bumper+accessories and dual Optima batteries - Jeep will be sold with stock bumpers and battery)

The Story
The conversion has less than 160km/100 miles on it, as do all the modifications.
I did not drive the Jeep enough to gauge the mileage, I was always aiming for >25mpg with this engine conversion.

Conversion professionally done by http://northwestdieseloffroad.com with absolutely no expense spared.
I have receipts for ~$17,000 USD for the conversion.

The Jeep drives (drove?) really well with this engine/trans combination. This engine is known to like to rev (5400 rpm redline) and develops good power/torque over 2k rpms, and great power/torque between 3k and 4k where it has boost.
It pushes you back in the seat, and gets smoother as it builds revs.
All factory gauges work as expected, using Jeep sensors for water temp, oil pressure, crank sensor.
It's using a trigger wheel welded to the front of the Harmonic balancer to make the crank sensor see the engine spinning, and make all the Jeep computers function.
Cruise control does not function.
Check engine light is always on, though I covered it with tape inside the cluster so you can't see it when sitting in the driver's seat.
ABS works as factory.

The Damage
One of the injector return lines came off, filling the top of the valve cover with diesel. When I drove up a hill, it sloshed backwards and was sucked in through the valve cover breather hose, resulting in runaway.
The engine ran over 7k rpm for 5-10 seconds. It didn't go bang, it just stopped when it ran out of extra diesel to burn, with a puff of white smoke.
We can turn it over, but we're pretty sure it's not making compression (it's won't fire at all).
We have not done a compression test.
It makes horrible noises that sound like valves on pistons.
It's possible it also spun bearings in the bottom end, or has a rod knock, or all of the above.
I want to be clear - A full rebuild would be needed if keeping this engine.

I personally put the return lines on the injectors, and it appears I didn't push one on completely onto the little barb, so the damage is my fault.
There is no way the conversion warranty should cover this, because I did it myself.

The Jeep
  • 2007 Unlimited Rubicon in Silver/Grey - Canadian Spec
  • 126,000 kms (79,000 miles)
  • Stock Jeep 6 speed - (NSG 370) adapted to Merc Bellhousing
  • Factory Rubicon features: 4.10s, D44s, lockers, sway bar disconnect, Rubicon transfer case, etc. All function perfectly.
  • Power windows, in seat side-impact air bags.
  • Hard top.
  • It's a 2007 so it has a little surface rust underneath, chipped door hinges and the hard top has some small pin stripes/flaking paint.

The Engine
  • Mercedes OM606 3.0 Straight Six Turbo Diesel. (used)
  • 24 valve, double overhead cam, stock it makes 175hp and 245 ft. lbs.
  • Engine had 127,000 miles at time of conversion.
  • Fully mechanical injection pump from the earlier OM603, Professionally rebuilt with 6mm injection elements and ALDA.
  • Oil Pan and Pump from a Merc OM648 engine (so it's rear sump and clears the Jeep front axle) - commonly done modification
  • Factory Mercedes Glow plug controller and OEM Jeep light on dash works.
  • Factory Mercedes constant duty solenoid to control IP on/off for turnkey operation.
  • New centerforce performance clutch.
  • Heavy Duty Cummins engine mounts (a little rough at idle, I read they'll soften up after 5k miles)
  • Stock Turbo with new pressure actuated wastegate set at 12psi (stock) - I was going for mileage/reliability
  • Jeep Factory Intercooler from export Diesel Wrangler (new)
  • Mercedes 150amp Alternator with diesel clutch
  • Mercedes A/C Compressor with custom A/C lines made (needs to be charged, I never did it)
  • Aluminum "deck-mount" oil cooler with custom AN12 Hoses and fittings
  • 2 x 6inch Derale fans and fan controller/thermostat on the oil cooler
  • Custom 3" exhaust with mandrel bends from turbo to tip, new high-flow muffler at rear.
  • New water pump, thermostat
  • Top rad hose is stock Mercedes E300TD, bottom is from a Mazda.

This engine came stock in North America in the 1998-1999 E300TD sedan, so parts are easy to get at any auto parts store or Merc dealer. It's also a world engine.
This is the well known engine everyone wants to swap into their gas Mercedes G Wagons.
It's a very common engine for massive power mods with a different injection pump and BIG turbo in Europe, engine is well known for running 500k+ miles and taking a lot of abuse. Checkout the Super Turbo Diesel Forums for lots of info, or watch videos on YouTube of "OM606".
A good start is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMHZRw78XZ0 (note that's 25 US MPG)

These engines are common on car-part.com for between $1k and $3k depending on mileage (between ~120k miles and ~350k miles)
Likely the cheapest/easiest way to "fix" the engine would be to replace it with an entirely different engine, using everything made for the Jeep conversion.
I've been quoted ~$5k to do that, parts and labor.

Other Mods
  • AEV 3.5" lift
  • Rubicon Express adjustable extreme duty track bar + drop bracket.
  • AEV Snorkel
  • 5 Auto Meter mechanical gauges ($800) - EGT, Oil Pressure, Boost, Fuel Pressure, Volts. 2 on pillar, two mounted in center of windshield.
  • New Radiator
  • New radiator fan from 2012+ Pentastar Wrangler with AEV wiring kit (moves 50% more air)
  • New Clutch slave cylinder
  • Parker/Racor 10 micron diesel filter under the frame rails.
  • Evap canister removed.
  • Custom hard fuel lines along passenger frail rail.
  • Electric fuel pump and "sock" filter removed for fully-mechanical lift pump on the injection pump.

Other
  • Tires are 285/70R17 BFG Mud Terrain, approx 40% tread. Stock Rubicon wheels.
  • Spares to go with Jeep include serpentine belt, Spare Merc diesel filter, Spare Racor diesel filter, Spare engine oil filter top and bottom rad hose.
  • Jeep will have stock front and rear bumpers.
  • Rear interior of Jeep will be returned to stock with rear seat, carpet, etc.

Jeep is registered in Yukon, Canada, can be easily imported into the US.
It's currently sitting in Bayview, Idaho for viewing and DOES NOT run/drive.

I'm asking $15k USD. Open to all offers. No trades.

Best way to contact me for serious buyers is dan(at)theroadchoseme.com.
Send me your phone number and we'll talk. I'm happy to email you the build sheet from the Jeep as it came from the factory.

Thanks,
-Dan

I can take photos of anything specific if you have a request.

jk-complete-720x480.jpg

jk-adaptor-720x480.jpg

jk-engine-720x480.jpg

jk-engine-2-720x480.jpg

jk-wrangler-mercedes-OM606-turbo-diesel-720x480.jpg

africa-jk-wrangler-intercooler-720x480.jpg

africa-jk-wrangler-3-inch-exhaust-720x480.jpg

africa-jk-wrangler-interior-gauges-720x480.jpg

africa-jk-wrangler-aev-suspension-720x480.jpg

om606-jeep-crank-trigger-wheel-720x480.jpg

om606-mechanical-injection-pump-720x480.jpg

Last edited:

luangwablondes

Adventurer
You can fly from the USA for <$800. Fly to Joburg, buy a diesel 4x4, kit it out or there are a lot already kitted out. The Rand has taken a big dive- like closing at nearly 16.5 today. August it was ~12.50. At the rate it has been moving, maybe at 18 in a couple months or sooner. It briefly hit 17.76 two days ago. Get a landcruiser. Parts are easy to find throughout Africa. With a Wrangler, you may wish you were towing a trailer loaded with parts. If you tour Africa and fly out of Joburg, the rates will be cheaper from there. I plan on buying a 1 year RTW ticket from there my next trip.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
You can fly from the USA for <$800. Fly to Joburg, buy a diesel 4x4, kit it out or there are a lot already kitted out. The Rand has taken a big dive- like closing at nearly 16.5 today. August it was ~12.50. At the rate it has been moving, maybe at 18 in a couple months or sooner. It briefly hit 17.76 two days ago. Get a landcruiser. Parts are easy to find throughout Africa. With a Wrangler, you may wish you were towing a trailer loaded with parts. If you tour Africa and fly out of Joburg, the rates will be cheaper from there. I plan on buying a 1 year RTW ticket from there my next trip.

Thanks for the advice.

Please everyone, let's keep the discussion in this thread to the sale of my Jeep only.

Thanks,
-Dan

Owyhee H

Adventurer
<100 miles and $17k???

How is there no warranty from the "professional" converter?

That is a bummer and looked like a great rig before it blew up.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I would cry as well if I were in your shoes, that is a lot of time/energy/money invested to have that happen. Hopefully someone will buy it and rebuild the motor and have a great setup.

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
<100 miles and $17k???

That is a bummer and looked like a great rig before it blew up.

Agreed. Spent $17k on an engine swap and it blew up in 100 miles? I guess the "professional conversion" doesn't back up their work.

Good luck with the sale.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
<100 miles and $17k???

I personally put the return lines on the injectors, and it appears I didn't push one on completely onto the little barb, so the damage is my fault.
There is no way the conversion warranty should cover this, because I did it myself.
I feel like an idiot for doing it, but it is what it is.

Again, everyone, please keep the discussion on topic of the sale of my diesel Jeep.

(Mods, feel free to delete these off topic comments if you see them please)

Thanks,
-Dan

Last edited:

zeeman

Agreed. Spent $17k on an engine swap and it blew up in 100 miles? I guess the "professional conversion" doesn't back up their work.

Good luck with the sale.

Maybe we should be not so quick to judge, there may be another side to this story that is not being told.

Ron
Northwest Diesel Offroad

deeve

Observer
That would make a sweet almost ready to go ride. I like it. Wish I was ready to go, Id seriously consider it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz