2007 Triton Build

MontySquareo

nah those are custom swirl pistons. they trap some air between the cylinder wall and the top of the piston to make the engine run cooler and get better gas mileage.

how did it get like that? leaky injector?

Cruisn

Adventurer
nah those are custom swirl pistons. they trap some air between the cylinder wall and the top of the piston to make the engine run cooler and get better gas mileage.

how did it get like that? leaky injector?
Egts got to hot basically, I had spent all day sitting at 130 on the freeways, then when I hit the 140 zone I figured it had a little more left in it. was slowing down on a large climb, by me backing off the throttle, but apparently not quick enough. Ill put an egt gauge in next time and get a new tune. the last tune was clearly a bit hot.

MontySquareo

it cruises at 130c?! (266f) are you climbing mountains constantly? is something else wrong with the cooling system? i have some diesels, mildly tuned, and they never get past 110°c before I slow down. they cruise at 75mph (120kph) all day and rarely get above 100c just at a steady speed on mostly flat ground. all 3 of my diesel cars run at the same temperature.

Cruisn

Adventurer
it cruises at 130c?! (266f) are you climbing mountains constantly? is something else wrong with the cooling system? i have some diesels, mildly tuned, and they never get past 110°c before I slow down. they cruise at 75mph (120kph) all day and rarely get above 100c just at a steady speed on mostly flat ground. all 3 of my diesel cars run at the same temperature.

These are freeway speeds, this car sits at 87-89 all day and my pajero sits at a blistering 82 some how. they run nice and cool, even in 40c heat. the load trying to push those freeway speeds with the 2.5L just didnt end well. this was at about km mark 1000 for the day, so heat soaked as well. But the update from the machine shop says the block wont be ready till wednesday now, so I wont be able to finish it myself, as I will be in africa. so at least I will come home to a new car.

Cruisn

Adventurer
Well, I have headed to Angola but luckily before I left I got to see the block back from the machine shop. very high quality work. very impressed.

Then just today, they delivered it to our place. so she will be ready to roll when we return in 2 weeks.

Cruisn

Adventurer
Well, new engine is in, and is hemorrhaging oil.. the machine shop did a bang up job, but the final assembly is a bad joke. which is a shame. so in decemeber the workshop gets to deal with me in hi vis on the floor to ensure its done properly. But we did get out for a little adventure.

And of course, I finally found out why the rear diff wont lock, a gift from the previous owner. like I said before they are so bloody hard on cars here since they travel in group of 5+ people and withing about 10kms of a repair shop its never a worry, but this vehicle is taken a bit more remote so I gotta get it up to spec.

Also got some 3d printing to fix the glove box.

And parked up, with the battery unhooked for the next 5 months. Normally I would be back in September to pick it up for a trip, but this round we are headed back to armenia and georgia with the little wagon so my love gets to stretch her legs.

Cruisn

Adventurer
Well, I am finally home and able to use the ute. overall a few little issues to iron out. but I did get the rear leafs redone, and also stripped the gear box, and also did some electrical repairs. But with the ol girl up and running we went for a little mountain exploring and tomorrow is another day in the mountains as well.

And of course:

I seem to always end up doing a trans behind our apartment. at least the weather was good.

Overall in good nick for its age and miles.

spacecowboy7777

wow super fun to see all the work done yourself. What was wrong with the transmission that required a full disassembly? Also, do you notice a difference in power with the rebuilt engine?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles