2007 Triton Build

Cruisn

Adventurer
Well here I am yet again, due to a new location its to hard to get my hands on a pajero so we ended up with a 2007 Triton

Specs:
2.5L DID
5 speed manual
50mm lift spacers - need to redo this
33" tyres

It has a bunch of add ons from the previous owner which will be removed and cleaned up as in Turkey they sure love the LED lights. Otherwise overall in decent enough condition for what abuse we will use it for. We will do a camp setup in as we always do, unsure if we will do a full canopy, or stick the the tub.

Grabbing parts today and tomorrow so small repairs as always to follow

Reactions: plh

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
This doesn't mean Shorty is out of the picture, does it?

...always enjoy your photos and tales!

Cheers

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I love it! Can't wait to see it out on the trails and exploring.

Cruisn

Adventurer
Of course I waste no time, got u- joints and a full gasket kit sorted to stop all leaks. few extra parts coming in 2 days to ensure reliable motoring.
Also got my hands on a 9" car play stereo I will install as well.

Rental all loaded up:

Parts ******!

And just looking good at home due to better lighting.

Cruisn

Adventurer
As for todays work: I removed 15 years of redundant wires... still more to go tomorrow. engine bay looks great clean though. struggles to do 120kmh on the highway which I pout down to 257k kms and erg still attatched, so I have all the gaskets to strip the top end and do a full clean. Otherwise tonight's test run went rather well!! Super quiet compared to the wagon, obviously one is stock and on is not though.

Reactions: plh

Cruisn

Adventurer
Figured out the 4wd issue this morning, so hopefully no more flashing lights on the dash, along with opening up the engine to do valve lash and over all inspection plus repair the oil leaks. She will be like a new car once Im done. well not new, but reliable. At least this time I dont have to pull the engine completely like the pajero, but it is dejavu thats for sure. Also picked up a few meters of vacuum line and a new 9" touch screen to install.

No fancy shops here, just an old cement pad behind the apartments.

Cruisn

Adventurer
Bit more progress today, got a new cheapy stereo installed, 9" touch screen with car play which is great. also does screen mirroring so it should run my GPS app as well. Also got the engine fully buttoned up. Down to the 4wd issue. basically have the lights flashing for the front diff when engaging 4wd. so I figure the selenoids are toast or stuck. The transfer case does engage 4wd, 4hi and 4low but the center light blinks constantly as well. dig dig dig. Ill get there. I was able to at least get the vacuum setup to keep 2wd engaged at all times now so its easier to drive in town.

Cruisn

Adventurer
Got my new awning fabric, so had to go out and install/test it. we dropped from a 3M to a 2,5M length to keep it simple. Otherwise a great testing day out in Antalya to see how it runs.

As for faults, I figure it needs the rear drive shaft u joint angles repaired as it has a slight shake on take off.

Cruisn

Adventurer
Well, it has a failed head gasket, but that is life. otherwise running well. just finished a west coast Turkey trip.

Cruisn

Adventurer
Well, we even had a new clutch put in due to the thrust bearing biting the bullet, which has already failed, bad part I guess, so it goes back in on monday for repair. But we are getting there with this unit. we knew it would be problematic due to how people in this area take care of vehicles.

But, I got the spot in it:

And new shifter to be styling!

Flex test:

And finally I pulled out the buffer and gave it clean.

Cruisn

Adventurer
Well, bit more work, discovered the switches are faulty for the transfer case, and since I cant seem to find them here, it was time to repair them. all tested good on the bench. covered them in epoxy to set over night, then went onto the speedo gear that was stripped. I got some gears 3d printed to test. that was also an epoxy job, but also required a drill to true up the gear. I hope it works.

Otherwise, new u-joints all around and some niggling electrical issues are being sorted as in 2 weeks I leave for Morocco with it.

The workshop:

Cruisn

Adventurer
What a week, final prep is underway. basically, the speedo failed, the 3d print was not the correct shape. I have since made a new gear that is correct in matching the original gear. lets see how long this one lasts. I think part of the failure was also due to some crazy drive line vibrations, I have since had a shim made in side the tail end of the transfer case which seems to have fixed the problem, well made it not as bad.

Had to do a few comfort upgrades, so I got some nice seat covers with extra padding, had the side windows retinted and had the front windshield tinted

I had the stereo tinted as well due to at night it is crazy bright, even on the low setting.

Got the exhaust modified so I can fit the 33" spare in the factory location.

Also got the chassis and complete underbody washed:

As for the 4wd selector switch.. it kept failing so a bit of chasing, and I just ended up adding a switch. works a treat.

We are T-minus 6 days till take off. Turkey to Italy, then ferry to Morocco then work our way through West Africa. lets go mitsu!!!

Last edited:

Cruisn

Adventurer
And today has finished the rest. Oil change, spare fitted, got my stickers, got a full wash and even took the cat for a test to see how he likes the seat covers. Ohhh and the speedo has lasted for 100kms which is already better than last time.. lets hope it keeps going.

And a poser for good measure:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior