2007+ Tahoe/Yukon thoughts?

Burb One

Adventurer
Another thing to consider: According to Edmunds, at least, 4x4 models have single-speed T-cases unless you order the "towing package." :(

Gross! I didn't know that! I wonder how much extra the towing package was. The 6 speed is the only real draw for me.

The NNBS, always had too much plastic (bumpers) for me to take it off road (even easy moderate trails). I have stuck with the NBS style, and probably will until I can't find parts, which will most likely be after all of us our long, long gone (and I am young!)

gmwelder86

Adventurer
If you goto a 2500 suburban you get an iron block 6.0 and no fuel management. Granted the 6.0 in the suburban is what I consider a little underpowered for towing a 8k trailer it should do ok.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Problem with the active fuel management seems to be the rings in the non-firing cylinders floating around and causing excessive wear in the cylinder walls, leading the related problems. Combine it wih indifferent maintenance / infrequent oil changes and you get all sorts of accelerated wear. Plan on engine repairs, plan on at least an overbore and new pistons, rings etc and disabling the AFM. Or going whole hog and put in a new short block and still disable the AFM.
IIRC there's a factory fix for the excessive wear, but I don't know what the restrictions or qualifications are for it. Might have to be original owner.

When I was in the market for a used Sub I only looked at the -900 series long enough to know they were well out of my budget.

I just flogged mine on a 300mi day trip on Easter Sunday, averaged 75mph and 15.4 mpg, which I'm pretty happy about. 126k mi on it, other than a fresh intermittent knock sensor alarm, it's running solid and strong. I wouldn't be worried about a 'high mileage' Vortec unless you are planning to drive it hard and far and daily. Even then, parts are inexpensive and common. All the better if you can wrench ot it yourself.

justcuz

Explorer
Wow, the GMT900 platforms are holding their values like Toyota Land Cruisers!

Was in the wrecking yard today and pulled a overhead consul out of a 1997 Tahoe, 314,000 miles and it looked pretty good before the guys started nabbing parts off of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94