2007 Suburban - MUDHORN

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Thank you @CrazyDrei ! You're trucks are so awesome. I've browsed through your threads multiple times. I need to check and see what rear end this has. I am not familiar enough with them to know off hand. But I haven't seen any locker controls anywhere in the cabin yet so I am guessing no I dont have a locker?

There are no controls on the G80 it is an automatic locker. As others have said, look at the white sticker on the glove box. There are a bunch of 3-letter/number alphanumeric codes on it. That is your "build sheet." There are lots of places on the internet where you can download the RPO codes so you'll know exactly what your truck left the factory with. You can also request the build sheet directly from Chevrolet.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Thank you @CrazyDrei ! You're trucks are so awesome. I've browsed through your threads multiple times. I need to check and see what rear end this has. I am not familiar enough with them to know off hand. But I haven't seen any locker controls anywhere in the cabin yet so I am guessing no I dont have a locker?

JeepinPenguin,

Todd n Natalie beat me to it but yes, open out your glove box and look at the big white sticker in it. There are a whole bunch of three character codes. They are in alphabetical order, look for the ones that start with letter "G" more likely than not you have GT4 G80, which is 3.73 gears with the automatic locking rear differential. No controls in the cab, under 25mph forward and reverse your rear diff senses for 100rpm difference between left and right wheels, then locks, rough sudden jerk, and thats it. When you come to a stop or go over 25mph it disengages. Excellent little gem for a daily driver that does not see much off road abuse. But it does have an extensive history of blowing up when abused. Good thing they last 100-150k miles and you can replace it for $100 shipped on eBay.

This is a weird platform because it's amazingly capable as it is and since it's been glorified as a soccer mom's manly minivan there is very little aftermarket parts support for the Suburban. However there are plenty of people in this forum that have created pretty stout and reliable overland/expedition/weekend warrior rigs and you will find all the support you can imagine to help build your perfect adventure Suburban.

Good luck.

Check your glove box door. There should be a sticker with all the codes. If I recall correctly GT4 is 3:73 and GT5 is 4:10. If it also says G80 on the sticker, you have the locking diff. No controls for it anywhere in the cabin.

Oh awesome! Thanks! That's really helpful, I'll check that after work today.

edit: also big thanks to @Martinjmpr and to @CrazyDrei again - haha yeah Todd n Natalie beat you guys to it but seriously appreciate all your guys' input!

Ok guys, so first progress was made on the build today. Very VERY minor, but you gotta start somewhere. So the interior has that horrible wood grain trim. And I can't stand it and I wanted to add a unique touch to the truck. So I decided to vinyl wrap those trim pieces something cool. Whats cooler than Kyrptek camo? Only got one piece done this morning before I started into other stuff. But here is a preview. Hoping to get the rest done this week. This was my first time ever vinyl wrapping something.

IMG_20190914_115600.jpgIMG_20190914_115604.jpg

Interior left to do:
1. Finish wrapping trim pieces
2. swap 2nd row captains chairs for bench
3. Radio swap/new faceplate
4. Remove 3rd row (and potentially add a TruckVault)

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Ok guys, so first progress was made on the build today. Very VERY minor, but you gotta start somewhere. So the interior has that horrible wood grain trim. And I can't stand it and I wanted to add a unique touch to the truck. So I decided to vinyl wrap those trim pieces something cool. Whats cooler than Kyrptek camo? Only got one piece done this morning before I started into other stuff. But here is a preview. Hoping to get the rest done this week. This was my first time ever vinyl wrapping something.

View attachment 538846View attachment 538847

Interior left to do:
1. Finish wrapping trim pieces
2. swap 2nd row captains chairs for bench
3. Radio swap/new faceplate
4. Remove 3rd row (and potentially add a TruckVault)

Wrap looks way better than the wood grain and the silver plastic.

If you plan on swapping the radio and putting in a non factory flip down TV, you might want to think about moving the rear AC controls up front like GMT800 trucks have them. That was one of the best convenience mods I did to mine.

Wrap looks way better than the wood grain and the silver plastic.

If you plan on swapping the radio and putting in a non factory flip down TV, you might want to think about moving the rear AC controls up front like GMT800 trucks have them. That was one of the best convenience mods I did to mine.

Thanks man! I'm digging it. See next post to see all the rest of trim (except for the wood trim around the radio) all done. I'm ordering an after market radio this week sometime, but not going with anything too fancy probably. Something basic and that has bluetooth. When that comes in, I'll wrap that last piece of trim.

So Sunday I finished up the rest of the front dash trim, except for the radio piece. Plus I did all four door pieces as well. Really liking how they turned out. Its really not that difficult, just have to be patient and take your time. This was my first time doing this, and if anyone else is considering wrapping their interior trim, I highly recommend it and you can do it. Let me know what you guys think! Also trying to decide if I should get seat covers that match the camo or not. I dont want to over do it.

Note: Unfortunately I did not have the foresight when cutting my vinyl into pieces for each part, to make sure that the long center piece would line up and match with the vent on the passenger side (as seen in the second photo). But for the time being I am ok with it and it doesnt bother me... that much. haha

Attachments

• IMG_20190915_104234.jpg
    IMG_20190915_104234.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20190915_104446.jpg
    IMG_20190915_104446.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20190915_165012.jpg
    IMG_20190915_165012.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20190915_183911.jpg
    IMG_20190915_183911.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20190915_184254.jpg
    IMG_20190915_184254.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 73
Small update on the build - Arnott Suspension Kit came in. Decided the best way to get ride of the Autoride was to do it right. Plus replacing all the shocks and coils with new Eibachs will be a nice upgrade I think. What appealed to me with the Arnott kit was their module that I can plug into the computer to get rid of error codes and not have to do any sensor trickery.

In addition to the Arnott kit, I decided to do a small lift. Just adding a BDS 2inch leveling kit. Hoping that comes in here in the next couple days as well. If so, then suspension will be getting done this weekend!

All that remains then is upgrading the wheels and tires. I think I have settled on 275/70/18 Falken Wildpeak AT3W's. Heard a lot of good things about them and like the mild aggressive tread to balance every day driving duty with light offroad use. Have heard they are quiet and have good tread wear too. Was going to go KO2's but the price point of the Falken won me over. For wheels - I have had a hell of a time deciding. So many options out there. But I think I have landed on Level 8 Mk6's. Clean, simple, and also very well priced. Putting my order in for these here in the next couple days as well.

As soon as installation starts I will be sure to add some more pics!

tennesseewj

Observer
That wrap did turn out nice! I had an 07 LTZ Silverado and I always thought the wood grain looked chintzy. The later years had brushed aluminum in place of woodgrain and it was a big improvement.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

That wrap did turn out nice! I had an 07 LTZ Silverado and I always thought the wood grain looked chintzy. The later years had brushed aluminum in place of woodgrain and it was a big improvement.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks! I finally got around to wrapping the final middle section around the center console controls! I also picked up a neat little sticker kit that easily concealed the wear on the controls and makes them look brand new!

Before
IMG_20191011_144628.jpg

After
IMG_20191011_145111.jpg

UPDATE! Some new parts came in and projects are underway!

New suspension components have come in!
IMG_20191011_113557.jpgIMG_20191011_113610.jpgIMG_20191011_113619.jpg

Also made a quick little addition to make life a little easier - RAM mount for phone. I went with screw mount bottom instead of adhesive/suction on the windshield.
IMG_20191011_115322.jpgIMG_20191011_115331.jpg

And finally! A little secret project I'm cooking up.... a unique solution to my second row captains chairs dilemma.
IMG_20191011_113551.jpg

Hoping to have all suspension components installed on Saturday morning, then in the afternoon off to go pick up and install the new wheels and tires. Standby for the first major stage of transformation on the build!

Behold! The fruits of my labor!

Took all last weekend with the help of two of my buddies to put on the new suspension system. Boy there were a lot of holdups/hiccups along the way. But it was our first time installing these kinds of components so we were learning along the way.

Saturday morning starting at 7am I had coffee, eggs, sausage, and toast all ready to go and we crushed it and got to work right away. I figured you can't install suspension on an empty stomach. We immediately hit problems, on what I thought would be the easiest part of the job, taking the wheels off. Either those lugs had never been taken off, or the last person to reinstall them used an impact gun and torqued them down as much as physically possible. We broke two sockets (one was on the impact gun) just trying to break them loose. in the end we had a breaker bar on them plus a pipe and my one buddy jumping on it just to break the lugs loose. After an hour we finally got all the wheels off.

We tackled the rear first because we knew it would be easy. Shocks and coils came off without an hitch. However we did break the bolts off on the rear sway bar/linkages. So had to run to Advanced and pick up some new ones. Also took out the on board air compressor that was used to fill the old air suspension. Trying to get rid of any dead weight. Got everything bolted back up on and boom the back was done and the wheels were back on. Time for lunch!

After we grilled up some bratwurst, we got to the front. Here is where the real issues started. Started disconnecting everything and slowly going through step by step of disassembly and got the front strut out. (Also broke the front torsion bars as well so had to go get new ones of those two). While out I also rented a coil compressor to get that front shock out from the coil. Started cranking down on the coil compressor and things got sketchy fast and we realized we were not qualified nor brave enough to keep going. So we called it a day and started looking for a shop I could take the front struts to and have them done for me. I was also putting on a 2inch BDS level kit which required drilling and tapping of new bolts, something else we were not equipped to do. So it being late Saturday afternoon in the south, everything is closed. I get lucky though and a Firestone store says they'll do it for me and it'll be ready first thing Sunday morning. I'm game and leave it with them. And so the downhill portion begins.

I get a call from Firestone Sunday morning that says the new shocks I dropped off to have the coil mounted on are not the correct ones. Confused since I ordered the Arnott Suspension kit specifically for my year suburban, I go take a look. And yes, when they opened the boxes the new struts were in, it was clear this wasn't going to work. These shocks did not have baseplates on them for the coil to sit on. I was completely confused and perplexed. So I take those ones back to O'Reilly's with me (I had to order the Arnott kit through O'Reilly because Arnott does not sell direct to consumer anymore). While at O'Reilly I chat with the guy at the desk and we pull up the parts catalog and see what the issue was. When you drill down to a 2007 4WD Suburban for a coil conversion kit, there are two options from Arnott. One option is what I got which was labeled as a "New" conversion kit and was priced at like $890 or something like that. Reading the description it sounded like it had everything I needed. The second option was a "Value" kit priced at $540 and it had the exact same product description on it. In my mind and with my understanding of the word value, I assume this kit has either refurb shocks or just a value option of them. I figured if I am spending the money lets get nice new shocks and I sprung for the more expensive kit. Now looking back when you look at the two photo's of the kit, one kit has front shocks without baseplates (the kit I got) and the other kit has baseplates. Not sure who or what the kit is for that I got, but at the end of the day what I had was not going to work. Even the guy at the store was like "I dont know how you're supposed to know which of these to order. It doesn't specificy a difference between these kits". So I didnt feel as stupid now. Thankfully O'Reilly's was insanely helpful. They ordered what I needed and had it express shipped down from another store about 30miles north and it was there in a few hours. I took the new struts to Firestone and said hope these work. We had a laugh and the guy said yeah this is much better. He goes off and says we will call you when its done. a few hours later around 5pm they call me and said they got in done just as they were closing and I could come get it. I show up and they got the new shocks on and the leveling kit plates on as well. I go to pay and the guy at the desk says, "Boss man has this on his timesheet, no charge for you". I was a bit confused but he said I didnt owe anything and so off I went. Going on 6pm i was out of daylight and would have to wait till morning to work on the truck. I took off work on Monday because I needed to get this thing off blocks in the parking lot before my HOA ******** a brick. So I go out at 7am to start working, I grab the complee front strut assembly and walk over to the truck and take one look and my first thought it "$#!&".... and i see that the shop installed the level kit on backwards and did not mark the coil and top plate accordingly to assemble it the way it needed to. In short, the top 3 bolts did not line up with the holes and allow the bottom of the strut to mount to the lower control arm. I was pretty upset at this point. I go back and say hey you guys installed this backwards, I need it flipped around. The guy at the front says they dont have any suspension guys in today and it wont get done till Wed morning. Well that doesnt work for me so I leave. Luckily a shop down the street from me was open and gladly accepted the work. Within a couple hours they had everything squared away and perfect.

Back at it, my buddy and I muscle the hell out of the new stiff front struts and force them in. a couple hours later and boom all done! Off to the tire shop it went. Picked it up the following day after work. And now behold her in all er new glory!

IMG_20191016_173402.jpgMVIMG_20191016_173410.jpgIMG_20191016_174339.jpg

Only things left to do are get it aligned and get an opinion on my control arms. The upper ones seemed to be maybe a little stressed and not sure if I should get new ones or if its ok. Taking it to the shop down the street from me this weekend. Then just need to check some sensor connectors in the back because Im getting ABS, stabilitrak, and traction control error messages on the dash. Which from what I have read is due to the speed sensor in the back with is realy easy to bump when changing the rear shocks.

After all that, the next project will be building a drawer/sleeping platform in the back :) But for now, I'm just enjoying the new look and ride.

Ok question for any other Suburban drivers out there (especially 2007-2014), what options are there for new upper/lower control arms?

All I have found really so far are Zone offroad and Rough Country uppers. no lowers. Anyone know of any others and/or have anything feedback on either of these ones?

Also - anyone ever relocated the washer fluid reservoir and pump?

XJLI

Adventurer
Ok question for any other Suburban drivers out there (especially 2007-2014), what options are there for new upper/lower control arms?

All I have found really so far are Zone offroad and Rough Country uppers. no lowers. Anyone know of any others and/or have anything feedback on either of these ones?

Also - anyone ever relocated the washer fluid reservoir and pump?

You have an incredible amount of choices for arms. Everything from cheap eBay stuff to high end billet from Mazzulla. Its the same from end as a 07-14 Silverado 1500. You don't need new lowers unless you want long travel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior