2007 Pajero shorty build thread

Cruisn

Adventurer
Cause I totally need another tourer. basical thread will follow a quick update of where I am to date. with a few more upgrades to follow. this build was done to keep it as light as possible. but still keep camping comfortable over long distances. Hence why I dont have 2 tons of ******** bolted to the outside of this one.

2007 Mitsubishi Pajero vrx shorty
3.2L DID diesel 5 speed auto

Update round 1:
Straight into it with this girl,

Safari Snorkel installed:

Then onto bushes:

Now onto the big bit, timing chain and tensioners, plus the top end has rooted cams we discovered. shes damn near a full strip down

Also my bullbar was colour coded the wrong colour so thats on hold for installing

Cruisn

Adventurer
Parts hauler all loaded up:

Decided it was going to be easier to just pull the engine to do the work. timing is a slight pain when you cant see in properly. so and extra hour of work landed me here:

Reassembled and ready to be dropped back in:

Running, and running well. silent. no rattles. stoked. few bits to add and a bullbar to chuck on, then sydney roadtrip to break it in.

Cruisn

Adventurer
Well engine has clocked up 15000kms and runnign mint. I have ordered engine tuning software to have a crack at that next. already have hptuners so well into that scene.

on another note, got my awning on, and installed the ARB bull bar and 1 bushskinz underbody protection plate. tomorrow I will do the lift and finish the protection.

Lift kit installed

Back in from work and straight into it.
Tyres have been ordered, bf goodrich all terrains 265/65/r18's should fill it out alright, i feel the wheels are in to far so I am eyeballing some 25mm wheel spacers for a bit more stance.

got some tuning sorted on her, were struggling a bit with WOT tuning due to the programing. looking into a full custom piggyback setup.

But we did sort out daily driving power and its great. fat torque curve.

and chucked on a light bar, cheapy just to fill the gap:

Cruisn

Adventurer
Another day on the wagon, bout 5 hours or so. can you tell im single yet??? hahaha this build is progressing very quickly, stoked to take her for a run soon.

Did some electrical today, ran cable from front to rear

distribution at the rear is by a breaker panel:

In order to get that installed had to strip panels.. when stripping panels why not replace speakers... quick trip to supercheap later and some 6x9's are in place.

Cruisn

Adventurer
New rubber and test run, She did well. no niggling issues besides a few tuning touch ups. but e have a piggy back ecu coming for that. shes gonna hammer. otherwise basically rear drawers, dual battery and aux fuel tank to go then ill run her up to nullagine where I normally work and head bush from there.

Cruisn

Adventurer
After my trip there is a few repairs to complete. fuel tank gaurd got shaken bad enough it wore out around the bolt and falls down. otherwise I got myself a flashlube prefilter for my diesel. good idea with the common rail as I'm a little worried about a bad batch of fuel ruining a trip.

The install was supposed to be straight forward. but it wasnt, the bracket didnt fit nicely, nor did it sort out the issue with relocating a fuse box you have to move.
You can see the bolt heads that foul on the fender

Chopped them off and rewelded for plug welds for clearance then made a bracket to support the fuse box so it stays facing the correct direction. I have seen other people installs and they jsut zip tie it on its side. not really helping the electrics there.

The kit came with the wrong size hoses. basically it was a waste of money for the install. but made it all work in the end.

Cruisn

Adventurer
Bit more work done. finished the dual batter installation. need 100 amp breakers as new cars put out way to many amps for blade fuses unlike my older girls.

installed an ARB compressor under the passenger seat.

On order is the required parts to finish installing my factory rear air locker and a long range tank, which will add another 65L of capacity to my factory 69. still not enough for a few locations. but will be a good start.

Cruisn

Adventurer

loremordred

Observer
Man... Such a beauty... I wish we could still Monteros here in the USA. I miss my girls.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

chosen

Observer
Looking sweet - Let us know how the suspension goes! I didn't know you can get a factory locker for Pajeros... interested to know more. What lift kit did you go with and are you happy with articulation and stability?

Cruisn

Adventurer
Looking sweet - Let us know how the suspension goes! I didn't know you can get a factory locker for Pajeros... interested to know more. What lift kit did you go with and are you happy with articulation and stability?

suspension has been great, smooth ride. all pajeros since gen 2 came with a factory rear air locker option. I run a dobinsons setup on this beast, as its IFS IRS it doesnt flex greatly. but it has traction control to help. hard pressed to get stuck.

Swift_45a

Observer
Damn, I really wanted a SWB Gen 3 but the 4 looks just as cool. Looks mint, and light is still looking tough as nails, that ARB always looks nicely at home on a Montero/Pajero, subtle enough to blend in to the overall package.

Well done!

Cruisn

Adventurer
Beena while for an update. so here is a quick rundown.

got a new roof rack for the shorty, photos to come soon.
did some engine work, had a cheap water pump that failed very quickly, but upon removing the alternator I found that the bracket had broke and was wearing into the ally in the engine front cover, So i repaired the bracket and whipped up a spacer out of steel to avoid anymore wear.

also chucked some 25mm wheel spacers on. done about 1000kms on them so far and no issues, proper installation is key to this, torque settings, lock-tite, the works. Flushed the wheels out nicely

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles