2007 Nissan Xterra -- The Flying Dutchman

DustoffDave

So, I just bought a 2007 Xterra 4x4 for $2800. It turned 196,000 miles as I was driving it home. It had basically every warning light on when I bought it and the infamous timing chain whine, and the heat doesn't work, and the driver's window doesn't roll up. It's pretty clean inside and out and just had a new radiator installed (I imagine as a result of the dreaded SMOD). This is my first Xterra, but I had a same year Pathfinder about 8 years ago as a family vehicle. We have a the family van and I have a car given to me by my employer for work use, so this serves as a third vehicle and really has no limits other than budget (which isn't huge). It'll serve as a weekend warrior for outdoor use and week night kid shuttle when the wife is swamped. According to the person I bought it from (3rd owner) it's been called The Flying Dutchman from the beginning, so we'll keep that going for now.

Over the weekend I eliminated a few of the lights by refilling the brake fluid and replacing a cam position sensor. I also did the routine stuff of oil/filter, plugs, air filter. She got new tires yesterday (Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/75R16). In the mail this week I'll be getting new pads/rotors, rear O2 sensors, and timing chain kit. I also discovered that the heater core has just been bypassed (probably sprung a leak), so that will get fixed eventually -- not a huge issue in Georgia, but huge job to fix it from what I can see/read.

Here's what it looked like when I bought it. The new tires went on last night, so no pictures there yet, but I'll get some up soon.XTerra1.jpgXTerra2.jpgXTerra3.jpgXterra4.jpg

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Neat project. Some TLC and it should treat you well. General consensus is 09 or so and up they really hit their stride and got the worst of the reoccurring issues sorted out. You will likely be using upgraded/revised parts on the timing chain and such so once it's fixed I suspect it won't be an issue. SMOD/Timing chain is really the worst of the worst on known issues, if you have those headed off, hopefully smooth sailing outside the occasional maintenance parts.

Just don't mention brakes, I'm a little sensitive on that subject at the moment..... ? My Xterra decided to be a drama Queen this week.

DustoffDave

Yeah, I was originally in the market for a Suburban/Tahoe or a Bronco, but when this popped up, it seemed like a pretty good deal, so I got steep into the learning curve to figure out if it was worth getting. Seems like I got a pretty good deal out of the whole thing. I did half of the brakes last night, the other half will happen tonight along with O2 sensors and start the tear down for the timing chain stuff. I felt like the brake job (pads and rotors) was pretty easy, so I hope your brake repairs treat you well too....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94