2007 & newer diesel powered vehicle fuel?

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Am I right to think that newer 2007+ diesel powered vehicles are limited in their travels because of poor quality or high sulfur diesel fuel in many countries?

bob91yj

Resident **************
Apparently it's not an issue in Baja. I haven't heard of any race teams having issues with their chase trucks.

It was a very real concern for me, biggest reason I stayed with my '06 Dmax rather than getting a new one when starting my build. I don't have world travels in my mind but I do get to Baja several times a year.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Not sure about other countries, but that is one of the reasons why both my trucks (2002 and 2007 classic) both are capable of running on anything resembling diesel, just in case. I was able to fill up my PSD with LSD diesel in Prudhoe Bay, AK and it made my truck very, very happy. :sombrero:

Jack

my1stcummins

Adventurer
Not sure about other countries, but that is one of the reasons why both my trucks (2002 and 2007 classic) both are capable of running on anything resembling diesel, just in case. I was able to fill up my PSD with LSD diesel in Prudhoe Bay, AK and it made my truck very, very happy. :sombrero:

Jack

Your PSD was happy on LSD?....did it feel like.... :D I couldn't resist

bus2.jpg

Again, for the umpteenth time....
higher sulfur diesel does not damage a 2007 and later ENGINE; it damages the emission system, in particular catalysts. Eventually, due to electronic sensors and feedback loops, that will degrade the engine's performance.
Oil changes, particularly using CJ4/E9 oils, must be more frequent as sulfur content increases over the long term.
For the common US trucks DPF/catalyst delete kits are widely available.
Mercedes produces some versions of its' trucks in Euro 3 configuration for "use outside the EC only".

Charlie

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Thanks Charlie

higher sulfur diesel does not damage a 2007 and later ENGINE; it damages the emission system, in particular catalysts. Eventually, due to electronic sensors and feedback loops, that will degrade the engine's performance.
Oil changes, particularly using CJ4/E9 oils, must be more frequent as sulfur content increases over the long term.
Mercedes produces some versions of its' trucks in Euro 3 configuration for "use outside the EC only".

Charlie

On common US trucks are the electronic sensors and feedback loops deleted too, or?

There are kits which "take care of" all of the electronic issues involved in deleting the entire emission system that can actually be removed: EGR, DPF, urea convertor/catalyst system. "For offroad use only", of course.
Then you can run on 3rd World diesel with 8000ppm sulfur. Using the right lube oil with a very high TBN like Texas Refinery Corp ProSpec III 15W40, or changing the oil more often otherwise.

Charlie

locrwln

Expedition Leader

Charlie

There are kits which "take care of" all of the electronic issues involved in deleting the entire emission system that can actually be removed: EGR, DPF, urea convertor/catalyst system. "For offroad use only", of course.
Then you can run on 3rd World diesel with 8000ppm sulfur. Using the right lube oil with a very high TBN like Texas Refinery Corp ProSpec III 15W40, or changing the oil more often otherwise.

Charlie

All of those kits are great, until you have to smog your diesel, which is required in CA, and Washoe/Clark Counties in NV. I'm sure there will be more states/areas requiring diesel smog in the near future...

Jack

All of those kits are great, until you have to smog your diesel, which is required in CA, and Washoe/Clark Counties in NV. I'm sure there will be more states/areas requiring diesel smog in the near future...

Jack

I'm going to renew my registration on my U500 about when it is due to ship from Australia to Malaysia. Obviously a smog test would not be feasible. Fortunately my state does not require emission tests on diesels. If a person is serious about prolonged 3rd world travel with a post 06 US mfg diesel: remove all the emission stuff, register it in a no smog test jurisdiction at least for the duration of the trip, maybe put all the stuff back on after re-entering the country to make it legal in one's home jurisdiction.
A lot of hassle and work.

Charlie

my1stcummins

Adventurer
I'm going to renew my registration on my U500 about when it is due to ship from Australia to Malaysia. Obviously a smog test would not be feasible. Fortunately my state does not require emission tests on diesels. If a person is serious about prolonged 3rd world travel with a post 06 US mfg diesel: remove all the emission stuff, register it in a no smog test jurisdiction at least for the duration of the trip, maybe put all the stuff back on after re-entering the country to make it legal in one's home jurisdiction.
A lot of hassle and work.

Charlie

Was this you on the way to Whittier?
Tradesies.jpg

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
the california smog test is visual only, so as long as you can run 3000RPM's without black smoke, you will pass.

The smog guys are not trained enought to look for DPF kits yet.

If the truck is registered at over 10K# GVWR, it will need a real smog test where they do tap into the ECU and will notice a DPF delete kit. Then youre screwed.

But, if the 10k + vehicle is registered as an RV, you are probably back to the visual standard?

I just had my 2003 jetta smogged, and it was a joke, but have yet to smog my 2006 FG registered at 10K.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
the california smog test is visual only, so as long as you can run 3000RPM's without black smoke, you will pass.

The smog guys are not trained enought to look for DPF kits yet.

If the truck is registered at over 10K# GVWR, it will need a real smog test where they do tap into the ECU and will notice a DPF delete kit. Then youre screwed.

But, if the 10k + vehicle is registered as an RV, you are probably back to the visual standard?

I just had my 2003 jetta smogged, and it was a joke, but have yet to smog my 2006 FG registered at 10K.
In the Ca tests my friends have undergone with their Dodge CTD's '98-'05's the tech has connected to the diagnostic port checking for trouble codes. Thanks to Dodge's KO1 flash,the techs can now communicate with the Can Bus system used in the '06-'07 5.9 CTD's now. If you fail to have the dealer install the KO1 flash,renewal in Ca is impossible. The test is simply a cash cow for Ca and the smog shop. Sucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94