2007 MB Sprinter Surf Camper 144" - PanAmerican Hwy Proven

lz_go

2007 Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter
144” wheelbase, low roof model
199,xxx miles (still driving it)

Bought this rig as an ex-fleet vehicle with 145k mi, made the following upgrades over 8 months in 2018, and then drove her from California to Patagonia down the PanAmerican Highway. Together we've chased waves in every country from California to Chile, navigated remote jungle trails in Honduras, and cruised the lonely deserts of northern Peru. Even did the Lagunas Route at 8k meters from Bolivia to Chile. We've spent as much time going 5mph down dirt roads as we have cruising the open highway, and she's excelled in every situation I've thrown at her. Then I put her in a cargo container and she sailed home across the ocean, where's she got some fresh brakes, a reupholstered interior, a coat of paint and is ready and waiting for her next owner to take her on their own adventure.

It’s been an incredible rig, done everything I’ve asked of it and way more. Have taken it on 4x4 only roads/trails to get to remote campsites, and it’s handled like a champ. The living space is super comfortable for two people for up to a week off grid (only limiting factors being food and freshwater). Beers stay cold via solar power and it’s totally self contained wherever you go. Not many rigs have the ability to store multiple surfboards inside, especially longboards up to 10'0'', so this makes a big difference, both for keeping a low profile as well as keeping the boards safe and out of the elements. I’ve hosted dinner parties for up to 5 people inside, and you can seat 6 comfortably when driving (unlike the more common style of build with the permanent bed in the back where it really only leaves 2 seats up front). It really thrives in warm weather environments when a lot of the living and eating/cooking is done outside...it’s set up perfectly for that. If I was going to do a ski season in it I’d add a diesel heater, but with all the insulation it stays warm enough if you just make some tea before bed (I had it up in the Bolivian highlands at 15k feet and -18c for a week and we only got ice in the sink one night...must not have made enough tea!).

I wouldn't hesitate to take this van down the PanAmerican Highway again as soon as the borders reopen...she's ready to go to a new owner who will take her on epic new adventures and I'm sure she will bring them as much happiness as she brought me. Glad to answer any more questions as they come up.

Van is California registered thru April 2021, will consider delivering within the US depending on conditions of offer. Located in Santa Barbara, CA but willing to deliver depending on deal. More pics avail upon request.
IMG_4007.jpeg
IMG_4673.jpeg
IMG_4738.jpeg
IMG_5059.jpeg
IMG_5276.jpeg
JORDANS_SPRINTER_2018_0072.jpeg
JORDANS_SPRINTER_2018_0077.jpeg
JORDANS_SPRINTER_2018_0105.jpeg
qbu8ipio9mvxhrllb3gm.jpg
EBDD2A28-E215-4C00-845C-6A4616CFF03E.jpeg
IMG_4007.jpeg
IMG_4673.jpeg
IMG_4738.jpeg
IMG_5059.jpeg
IMG_5276.jpeg
JORDANS_SPRINTER_2018_0072.jpeg
JORDANS_SPRINTER_2018_0077.jpeg
JORDANS_SPRINTER_2018_0105.jpeg
qbu8ipio9mvxhrllb3gm.jpg

Upgrades in order of installation:

Sound deadening throughout cabin and box
R13 and reflective hardboard insulation
Fantastic fan, 3 speed
CR Laurence rear windows
CR Laurence side windows (drivers side has screened vent panels)
Cedar tongue and groove paneling
Custom cabinetry for clothes, gear and electronics
Custom kitchen with 45qt low voltage 12v fridge, two burner propane stove and dedicated propane tank, marine sink and 10 gallons of fresh water tanks, plus storage for food and cooking and eating utensils.
2 x 100ah Renogy AGM deep cycle batteries
200w Renogy solar panels running through a Renogy 20a MPPT charge controller
1000w inverter to power standard 110v plug items (computers, blender, etc)
LED reading light over bed
Custom LED recessed lighting, separated into three separate circuits (one dimmable)
Lighted switch panel for lights, includes USB charging ports and a 12v lighter port
Passenger seat swivel
Full sized bed (stores in position as a couch) made of 4” memory foam.
Under bed storage for large items (backpacks, etc)
Digital safe hidden under bed
Bookshelf
Shoe storage
Easy access camp chair/table storage
Roof top yoga/sunset deck with rear aluminum ladder access
Rear flip down table for outdoor cool/prep
Lagun leg swivel table
Pegboard wall for reconfigurable small item storage
Rinsekit shower with 12v heating element
Blackout window shades
Blackout curtain for behind seats to seal off cabin (with all lights on inside there is at most a 5% light leak to outside, great for stealth camping)
WiFi/cell signal booster
Inside storage on the ceiling for 3-4 surfboards up to 10’ long
Snorkel (raises air intake to allow deeper water crossings and less dust in air filter)
16” aluminum rims w/ Falken Wildpeak AT tires, tread at 85%
Trailer hitch for towing or rear bike carrier
Front LED super bright light bar
Sand tracks for self recovery
Panasonic touch screen head-unit with Bluetooth
Replaced stock speakers with Panasonic units, and added two 6x9’s in rear doors
Code accessed spare key holder on rear door (great for times you don’t want to bring a key with you, ie surfing, or if someone without the main key needs access. Also, never lock yourself out.)
Bug screens for side and rear doors
Custom engine tune for better performance/mileage on low quality diesel

Things that need attention:
There’s a dent in the door that I did on day 4 of owning it, creased it pulling out of a parking lot on a low pole that I didn’t see (note to self, Sprinters are much longer than normal cars). Purely cosmetic, door still works perfectly, but it might put some people off.
Lots of small nicks and scratches on paint (we call these West Texas pinstripes) and the salt air over the past year has started some surface rust on them. Body and underside are rust free (I have the underbody sprayed with a rust inhibitor every few months), but these need to be fixed eventually. Left turn signal on mirror doesn't work. Couple tears in the seat fabric, normal wear and tear all over. She's not a show pony but she's a real trust worthy steed. Grocery getters and mall crawlers need not apply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne