2007 GL320 CDI question

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Hi guys, I have a line on a very nice GL320 CDI (2007). What do you guys know about the suspension for this truck? I've been watching videos of it offroad and reading reviews - they tend to be quite good. The only downfall I see and read is the air suspension.

Would a GL320 CDI make a good backcountry explorer? I'm not longer rock crawling and I'm attempting to leave my go-fast days behind and just focus on camping and dirtbiking.

The deisel v6 is a great engine overall. Great low end power, and good economy. be sure to check if the oil cooler has been done, they all leak (about $1800 repair at dealer, some leak again and again - mb has gone through 3 versions of the seal that i know of...). Look for oil leaking from the 'valley' drain hole at the back of engine block on left side. If its just a little leakage, it may be just the turbo inlet seal, some oil leaks from it too. Also check power steering head for oil leaks, very common on these. The air suspension is great when it is working, but save money for new struts, as they will leak at some point (we do them all the time in the shop). the rear air bags are cheap compared to the front struts. There is no low range, just full time 4 wheel drive (4matic). The traction control works really well though.

Don Raptor

Observer
if you get the V6 TT or the V8 TT the offroad package gives you low range (not REALLY needed on a GL) but also air suspension with extended ride height. the V6 (aka GL450) is really fast and kinda efficient...

PH4

Observer
We have a 2007 GL320 and a G500. The GL320 is great for road trips and comfortable but it has been a repair nightmare. It stays in the shop. All the suspension has been replaced, fuel pump, rail, two SAM computers and the list goes on. We have friends with the GL450 that have had zero problems. If not for the constant repairs and breakdowns would be a great car. Only use G500 off-road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWbySWesty

Welp, I took the plunge. A 2008 GL320 CDI with airmatic suspension arrives next week. I look forward to putting it on three wheels as often as possible. With the 18" wheels, there are some good offroad tires available including Toyo Open Country and Pirelli Scorpions. I've had the scorpions before and they perform very well.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Welp, I took the plunge. A 2008 GL320 CDI with airmatic suspension arrives next week. I look forward to putting it on three wheels as often as possible. With the 18" wheels, there are some good offroad tires available including Toyo Open Country and Pirelli Scorpions. I've had the scorpions before and they perform very well.

Friend had the scorpions on his L3 wore out fast. Every time I end up with a pirelli tire I swear Ill never buy them again. Every one of them have worn out really fast and didnt really offer any stand out advantages over other brands.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Keep in mind that rig gets heavy too. I was looking at those too back in 2012. Got a Sequioa instead. First thing I did was put heavier built tires on it, prior owner had a set of Geolanders on it which were not heavy enough, they wore fast and I had two leaks after one easy gravel road. Hard to say what would fit? That was one of my struggles when I was researching them. I put BFG rugged terrains on the Sequoia and so far I really like them, not a comfort road tire but its not a full on KO AT either. Its been really durable and pretty good on the highway.

SWbySWesty

I can get BFG Long Trails for it at Big Brand.

edit: I know I saw that, but can't find it now. Either way, it's not like I'm taking this through John Bull in Big Bear, but definitely from Big Bear down Burns Canyon to Pioneertown and stuff like that.

SWbySWesty

Another reason: I'm in central CA - Driving to Desert Rendezvous would have been 350 miles of pavement pounding each way. The fuel cost is double with a gasser than a diesel. I just makes sense for the type of camping I do. I routinely drive 500+ miles of pavement just to get somewhere to set up camp. While most will look at offroad-ability, I HAVE to take mpg into consideration for that kind of distance driving. 15mpg vs 25 (actually reports of 27-29 with this rig loaded) makes a big difference.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
That was why I wanted one also. LOL Bay Area location. I was thinking it would replace the 13mpg LandCruiser and the old Subaru. Final decision was find a clean used Sequoia and get a new Subaru. LOL.
We averaged 16mpg last summer on our 6day trip Virgina Lakes area about 40min north of Mammoth on 395. We hit Bodie, did some Green Creek exploring, Yosemite one day etc. The CDI probably would have been doing low to mid 20s. Once again I'm eyeing how to get rid of two cars for one. 2.8L Canyon 4dr long bed is of interest. LoL

Subaru did 22.5mpg towing the 4x6 on last weekends coastal camping trip.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I almost put the bfg long trail on tye Sequoia, but went the Rugged Terrain path instead. I think the Longtrail would have been good too and more highway friendly. I think the Rugged Terrains cost me 1mpg mileage hit over the crummy Geolanders.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I cant recal was the 08 when they dropped the rear under side full size spare? Due to the urea tank? The 07s I was looking at I think still had full spares under the back. I used a tire gate picked up locally in socal on our Landcruiser for the big spare. That was my plan for the GL if I had gone the GL route.

SWbySWesty

No, the 2008 still has the spare and no adblue tank. The 2009 Bluetec lost the spare for that tank. I think it's a donut spare, so we'll see what I decide to do, but in the past 10 years of offroading, I've only gotten 1 punctured tire offroad. I guess I don't drive hard enough :sombrero:. My goal is not for trail runs. It's to get somewhere, camp, drive around a bit and use the dirtbike for the hard stuff.

As for great fuel mileage - if we really want it, my girlfriend's Honda Civic gets 39mpg highway to San Francisco and back. Since we each have a car, that counts as having either option. Then again, I don't get the front row bench seat like I would in a F250 diesel. Compromises. After driving a GL450, I think I'll be happy with this choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles