2007 Ford E-Series Van E350 4x4 Diesel, $17,000 ebay NJ

timzim

Observer
As a total newb, would you guys comment on the 6.0 v. 7.3 discussion as well as whether you think $17K was a good/bad/smoking good price for the van? I'm just getting started looking at platforms and would love some information.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
17.2 K was a fair price. There are know issues with the 6.0 ford diesel. Google will give you weeks of reading on the issue. Personally I would not get a 6.0. But saying that I have never owned one so anything I say about the issues is second hand. But I do own a couple of 7.3's in E350's. I would recommend them to anyone (preferably newer than 97).

timzim

Observer
You're right re: Google. I spent a good long time after posting that yesterday reading up on the various Ford diesel engines. What's the consensus on the newer engines -- the 6.4 and 6.7 -- as good as the 7.3 or just too new to tell yet?

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I've had the 7.3s, couple 6.0s, skipped the 6.4s, and now have a 6.7. The first 6.0 I had got bought back by Ford- total disaster of a motor. Had maybe three more 6.0s and the '07 was by far the best, zero issues with it. The new 6.7 was a bit of a gamble, but I felt Ford could not risk a bomb at this point or it would crush them. I have 30k on mine, and absolutely love it. Kept it over my Power Wagon, mainly due to the power and fuel mileage. It is an electronic motor for sure, but lots of the data is geared towards longevity, ie: coolant mixture issue. Translated, check the ph, which was the issue on the previous EGR valves getting corroded and failing. Also, the DEF is an inconvenience, but botom line: 400hp, 800 ft lb torque, mid to upper 20s(mpg) IF below 65mph, 15mpg towing 10k#.
I must note to get the mileage I am, I ordered 3.55s, went to 37" A/T's as the torque can compensate easily. At 65mph I am at around 1200 rpm, and it still pulls the hills without downshifting. The 6 speed is also a big help. Bottom line, in my 40 years of driving, this is the finest most capable truck I have ever had or seen.

timzim

Observer
Thanks for the endorsement -- the world of diesel is a whole new animal which I'm just beginning to learn about. Maybe in a few years I'll have the cash to afford a nice 6.7L SD.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
There is no 6.4 or 6.7 for the E Series vans. I think they were too tall to fit. So your choices are the 7.3 up to 2003 (but check because I think they changed part way through the year) and the 6.0. As a previous poster said the later ones were reported to be more reliable. But when you look at the cost of some of the EGR delete kits etc you can buy a 7.3 van for the same money (or drive one a long way on the fuel you could buy).

But Chris at UJOR does have a 6.0 and he has had no problems. So all this advice is worth what you paid for it :)

MattS

Stay away from the 6.0. We have several in our fleet of service trucks and they are nothing but trouble. The 7.3's were great but unfortunately the 6.4 doesn't seem to be much better than the 6.0. We maintain them religously and the 6.0 is a ticking time bomb. We always kept our 7.3's until at least 250K miles and only sold them when other mechanical issues started nickle and dimeing us to death. I think we'll be lucky to get 175K from the 6.0. My boss was so fed up with the 6.0 and 6.4 that, after 32 years of nothing but Fords in the fleet, went out and bought a Duramax diesel for one of superintendents. We're waiting for the 6.7 to prove itself before investing in another Ford.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles