2007 Fleetwood Cobalt

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
As seen above, the cobalt is 1245 lbs unloaded, and the evolution E1 is 2260 lbs unloaded. The E1 is just under 4ft longer in total length while closed, and 7 inches wider. So matching the trailer to your tow vehicle and driving/camping habits is important. I like some of the features of the E1, but the fridge is not a benifit to us. Alot of our camping we do borders Yellowstone Park and is prime grizzly bear country. Storing any food in a canvas sided trailer is a no go, and cooking in or directly next to the trailer (outside boiling water or maybe soup, etc.) is not wise. Outside shower would be handy, but we are going to try one of those gravity fed solar showers, provided there is sunshine. I feel once you have the E1, going to the cobalt would be hard to live without the amenities, but when going from tent camping to the cobalt, it is like a luxury suite!

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
I am so temped to do a slight lift and bigger tires, but the cobalt has gone every where I have wanted to drag it as is. So for now we are just using it, and it's perfect for our growing family.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405396574.469435.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405396612.625664.jpg

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
We are on the 4th season with our camper. We love this little pop-up. Long term durability has proven to be good. My wife and our two boys fit quite well, and we have no intention of selling anytime soon. Ground clearance is more than ample for mild to moderate trail use, and follows the jeep around well. We live in bear country so we don't store food or cook in the camper, so the key for us has been a Yeti style (igloo sportsman) certified bear resistant cooler that we can leave outside legally overnight, and lock it up for security. The heater has been the biggest "luxury" for us and we use it all the time in the mountains. Highly recommend camper for base camp style camping way off the grid

7c7ff02371dfe8eaf5c2e8e927b0241a.jpg

969538dd38ff1312a8fbfed89f0111c1.jpg

Last edited:

Weeds

Adventurer
Thanks for the update. I have often looked at this trailer but was unsure about the durability.

btburn

Observer
I just picked up a 2010 Cobalt. Taking it for our first camp this weekend. We have been using our Ruger trailer and tent camping but with the wife and kids the Cobalt will make life easier.
I was thinking about lifting it as well to get at a similar height as my Jeep. Now I have to refinish the Ruger trailer and sell it.

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
I just picked up a 2010 Cobalt. Taking it for our first camp this weekend. We have been using our Ruger trailer and tent camping but with the wife and kids the Cobalt will make life easier.
I was thinking about lifting it as well to get at a similar height as my Jeep. Now I have to refinish the Ruger trailer and sell it.

We have 2 kids and regularly take a third and it has been very comfortable for us. Durability has been good. When bought the trailer, I was dead set that I was going to need to lift it with larger tires, and it honestly has not been an issue for us. It is higher and the overall width is narrower than your average pop up. Unlike a Jeep or truck axle, the trailer axle has no brackets or differential that hangs down low, so clearance to the axle is much better than it appears. I regularly air the trailer tires down if I am going on a Jeep trail or washboard road.

The negatives that I had with lifting it were that the stabilizer jacks would no longer reach and the step would be too high off the ground (which are both easy to overcome, just something to keep in mind). I'd suggest going a season with it as-in and get it into some tight spots, then re-evaluate the need for a lift.

The small size, easy to pull behind our Cherokee, trailer brakes, heater, it continues to be a good fit for our family.

Curious to see what your first camping trip impressions are!

btburn

Observer
We have 2 kids and regularly take a third and it has been very comfortable for us. Durability has been good. When bought the trailer, I was dead set that I was going to need to lift it with larger tires, and it honestly has not been an issue for us. It is higher and the overall width is narrower than your average pop up. Unlike a Jeep or truck axle, the trailer axle has no brackets or differential that hangs down low, so clearance to the axle is much better than it appears. I regularly air the trailer tires down if I am going on a Jeep trail or washboard road.

The negatives that I had with lifting it were that the stabilizer jacks would no longer reach and the step would be too high off the ground (which are both easy to overcome, just something to keep in mind). I'd suggest going a season with it as-in and get it into some tight spots, then re-evaluate the need for a lift.

The small size, easy to pull behind our Cherokee, trailer brakes, heater, it continues to be a good fit for our family.

Curious to see what your first camping trip impressions are!

We're taking it on it's maiden voyage tomorrow. It tow's great on the street. I greased the bearings and checked the tires and everything else tonight.

I left it plugged into my jeep the other night and it did drain my battery though but I think that's because all the breakers were left in the on position. I had the battery removed charging in the garage at the time. I'll test that again when I'm in the driveway and not the woods. Until then I'll unplug the trailer from the Jeep just in case.

I want to add a switch panel, a second battery, some small LED lights for moving around camp at night and a small inverter for the kids to watch a DVD before bed if it's rainy.
I'm also planning on picking up a Blackstone Tailgater grill for the quick connect instead of my old coleman portable camp stove.

Lot's of plans but I'm going to take it easy for now and just enjoy it until I get other projects out of the way.

HOBBE$

Another camping season with the Cobalt with a new primary tow rig.

bf1351c78b83725d26b4c8e739032a65.jpg

154508aabad7cbceed7de184b6b6fe9a.jpg

00a1a52d50f22391628314cf75f836ad.jpg

b80c69615392c9bc7731b003dec8c206.jpg

I like your new Power Wagon! I hope to replace my old Ramcharger with one of those someday! $$$

Attachments

• SD532014.jpg
    SD532014.jpg
    613.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1693A.jpg
    IMG_1693A.jpg
    602.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1694.jpg
    IMG_1694.jpg
    524.5 KB · Views: 41
  • SD531089.jpg
    SD531089.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 46
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 45
  • photo 6.jpg
    photo 6.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 2004 Starcraft 10rt M.jpg
    2004 Starcraft 10rt M.jpg
    533 KB · Views: 45
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    514.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Battery Tray 1.jpg
    Battery Tray 1.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 44

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
I like your new Power Wagon! I hope to replace my old Ramcharger with one of those someday! $$$

Thank you sir, the whole family really like it so far! I was dead set on a manual transmission which were only made 2006-2008 and in small numbers, which made it a bit of a challenge but worth the wait.

I really dig your Ram Charger, it looks pretty dang clean from the photos, and looks like a killer combo with the starcraft. Is the camper at factory height or have you lifted it? It looks really good. I have recently bought a canoe, and it fits good on top of the Wagon, and the kids love it.

6.jpg

HOBBE$

Yes, it has been a challenge to find a Power Wagon I can afford. This one is a 2008 for sale in Denver, auto trans, 32,000 miles, $29,900.

00u0u_1WsBK672mmx_1200x900.jpg

The 2004 Starcraft 10RT is factory height. I've upgraded to dual 6V batteries and installed a 15 amp, 80 watt solar charger.

Everybody should enjoy the experience of paddling a canoe at least once in their lifetime!

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
View attachment 459599Horsetooth Reservior, Fort Collins, CO July 4, 2018

Nice! The Wagon on the pop up look great! I nearly got one in that charcoal grey, but the deal fell through and then I found my white one. We have been using ours this summer a fair amount.

19edit.jpg15.jpg17.jpg

I also spent some time on the KLR in Colorado, rode from Denver, over Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park to Cody Wy in a day.
23.jpg22.jpg

Attachments

• 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 20

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior