2007 FG-140 - Automatic? Is it possible?

Instyle555

I am hesitating buying this truck because of the 5-speed it has. I really need an automatic, I go forward and backwards a lot (snow removal).

Is there an option out there? Or do I need to keep looking for a1993, or 2012 that came factory with an auto?
Has anyone here done a frankenstein conversion?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
ATW in Australia used to do an Alison conversion for the FG84, which is virtually the same as the FG140, but it was not cheap and required quite a bit of custom fabrication.
So yes, it can be done.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I should add... from an engineering perspective, pretty much anything is possible.
It just depends how deep your pockets are. :)

DzlToy

Explorer
You are going to change between Drive, Neutral in Reverse in a slush box. You are going to change between 1st or 2nd and reverse in a five speed. Why bother swapping to an auto? Manual transmissions are much more durable, lighter, less complicated and last longer than automatics. Unless you just have thousands of dollars to piss away, this is a terrible idea for a swap.

Fuso trucks are not friendly to after market modifications like Toyotas, Jeeps and US/domestic pickups are in the States. I drive a standard transmission car or truck nearly every day and have for more than 30 years. I do not see any advantage to having a slush box, even for plowing snow.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I actually like driving a manual transmission, as it just feel more like driving to me, but...
Some time back I had the opportunity to go for a drive in an ATW Global Warrior that had the Alison conversion. I have to say... it was very impressive.
One thing that was immediately noticeable was that there were no major gear ratio gaps as it went through the gears, unlike the standard 5 speed manual box, which sucks between 3rd and 4th.
I was seriously considering getting the conversion done on my truck, but the cost was a bit beyond my available cash at the time, so I didn't.

Ultimark

In 2019 when I was shopping around for a truck, I had the pleasure to get a ride in two F series Isuzu trucks which were running Allison automatic transmissions. Both were brand new, one was being taken to the service centre, the other was coming back from the service centre. On the way back I noted that the trucks were the same model and size, but the gearbox was changing in a slightly different way. The reply was that one had a close ratio set of gears while the other had a wide ratio set of gears, something I didn't know back then.

DzlToy

Explorer
Back in 2018, the F-Series was re-introduced into the States, after a decade-long absence. The cab seems to quite similar to the Aussie version, but instead of getting an inline six, we only get a slightly uprated version of the venerable 4HK. It does come stock, with a 2500 Series Allison, which has a huge after market in the States and makes creating an FTS just a bit easier.

The 2018 FTR will come standard with an Isuzu 5.2-liter 4HK1-TC engine that generates 215 hp and 520 lbs.-ft. of torque, mated to an Allison six-speed automatic transmission with power take-off (PTO) capability.

I am not suggesting that you need 500 HP and 1000 Foot Pounds, but 215/520 is just awful in truck that size, rated to 26,000 pounds. Now that I think about it, 500/1000 would be about perfect. The Allison will take it.

Has anyone here driven a current generation FTR in the US?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior