2007 F150 being updated for mild expedition trips

DCH109

Adventurer
So I have a 2007 F150. Lariat package. 6.5 bed It has the factory long range fuel tank, LSD, 20" wheels, Custom ordered by the PO for towing, so everything was updated, suspension, cooling, full skids etc.

Outside of that it is bone stock. I wil be getting a 5th 20" rim to match as the spare is 18" That and new AT tires.

I will be adding either a Go Rhino or Warn bull guard with winch (2007 is the tough year for hidden winches and winch bumpers are outrageous in price) + i wast something that looks a little more stock day to day.

I will be leveling off the front using adjustable coils from Fox or Icon. so that is set (no spacers here).

The bed is where I have my issue. I want a secure bed cover but a low rack that will work with it. Something that I can still access the bed and move the cover, but something heavy duty enough that if i ever wanted a RTT I could mount on it.
really I do not want this to go much if any above the cab.

any ideas?

DCH109

Adventurer
The reason for some sort of secure tonneau was to have other things on the bed
Exampe a cooler, fuel, maybe a fridge, stove etc.
I have been thinking about the decked system, but then with all of that I have to have a cap.

DCH109

Adventurer

DCH109

Adventurer
I have only the Decked system currently. No tonneau (and no interest in one), and no cap. But clearly if you're going to add those components, you'll need additional protection.

I am trying to avoid the cap as it is an expense do not want.
I really like the decked system, I only wish it left more bed height.
Day to day though in the end,it,is a solid solution. For the trips though it leaves to much available to thieves.

I still need at times if I take the rack off a real,bed.
While the truck is the way to go, these are the dilemmas we have.

p nut

butter
Decked is great, but for me, even for day-to-day stuff, not ideal. I need to store bulky items at times (mainly my bicycles, but other stuff as well), and fortunately with the deep bed of the F150, a tonneau cover works. On trips, I take a few of those 27 gal plastic bins from Costco and store it under the tonneau, which fit perfect. Waterproof, dust proof, and out of sight.

DCH109

Adventurer
Decked is great, but for me, even for day-to-day stuff, not ideal. I need to store bulky items at times (mainly my bicycles, but other stuff as well), and fortunately with the deep bed of the F150, a tonneau cover works. On trips, I take a few of those 27 gal plastic bins from Costco and store it under the tonneau, which fit perfect. Waterproof, dust proof, and out of sight.

YEs that is exactly what I am not thinking. Setup some sort of slightly raised plywood floor (not to high like 1") then put the fridge on a rail, add a few bins on rails, the spare would be set on the floor behind the fridge and tied down.
the Tonneau would be a rolling type this way I could still get access to the bed if the RTT was not on or as it would be closer forward.

This would work and i could also setup an area for a dual battery, all easily removable if needed. and easily removable to get the tire out in case of a flat. OR i could
A: leave the tire where it is
B: figure out something else for the tire. if there is enough room (i doubt it as i will have 33" on the 150) i could put it under platform and the bin on top.

Mfury

I have the Pace Edwards roll up tonneau with rails that fit a Yakima rack. Love it. And install is easy, for some trips I take it out - with 2 people it is a 15 min job. Reinstall is 20 min.

Only downside is loss of storage space, the rolled up cover eats up about 15 inches of bed space.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne