2007 Bronco 800 Pop-up Expedition to South America

rockandroll

Adventurer
Gentlemen,

With your help, I selected a 2003 Tundra and a Palomino Bronco 800 as my expedition tools for the coming journey to South America. :sombrero: Well, actually the Bronco 800 purchase was against the grain. But hey, if I planned to build the perfect expedition rig, I'd die a broke old man having never left my garage. Going to have to make it work.

therearofthebeast.jpg

Here she is is. The Beast.

thebeastw.jpg

It is a 2007 Bronco 800 with the following options: 3-way fridge, auto furnace, A/C, Dakota package, 16 gal water capacity with water pump. Below I'll list my planned modifications and maintenance. About half of this is already completed. This is for reference here on the forum and also to see what you might take away or add from the list. The idea behind the list was to keep it simple (KISS) and stick to the basics. Here we go:

1. Jerrycan & mount on rear
2. New Battery (DieHard Platinum)
3. Battery Monitor (voltage reader)
4. Shower Option (sun-shower or similar)
5. DC-DC 7.5 amp Power Stream charger (runs off the truck alt and offers staged charging profiles)
6. Rubber truck bed mat
7. Spring-loaded and cushioned Turnbuckles
8. Torklift Front tie-downs (bumper button on the rear)
9. Re-caulk roof and side seams (did this today, what a PITA!)
10. Spray Wax to maintain rubber roof and siding
11. Pressure regulator 35lbs and garden hose
12. Water filter
13. Axe
14. Mag light (rechargeable with mount)
15. Camper lights converted to LED Lights
16. Air dam under cabover made of 4x4 vinyl posts

Click here for a similar post on the Tundra Truck. I have 2 months until departure. :victory:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

If it was me, I'd remove the jacks for the camper. Probably mount LED flood lights from Northern Tools to illuminate a 360 around the truck/camper (extremely handy when you need it). I woudl probably build some kind of wheel well liner that keeps mud from spraying back to the bumper and under the bed... just to keep things clean and stop corrosion before it starts.

rockandroll

Adventurer
If it was me, I'd remove the jacks for the camper. Probably mount LED flood lights from Northern Tools to illuminate a 360 around the truck/camper (extremely handy when you need it). I woudl probably build some kind of wheel well liner that keeps mud from spraying back to the bumper and under the bed... just to keep things clean and stop corrosion before it starts.

Good call on the Jacks. I'll mull over how to accomplish the other two ideas.

D

Deleted member 9101

I really like your set up..one decade I want to get a camper like that for my Tundra and go driving around for a bit.

rockandroll

Adventurer
I really like your set up..one decade I want to get a camper like that for my Tundra and go driving around for a bit.

Thanks Jnich77. It was about the cheapest 4x4 camper I could put together and still maintain some reliability. I'll let you know how well it works out.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
removing tailgate? or leaving as a landing?

if you're removing it, I'd have you consider a swing out tire carrier like tacodoc has on his rig. That would provide good protection for your camper as well as a good way to mount fuel, oil, tire, jack, etc...

I'd add that I would want you to figure out a way to LOCK it open, so that bandits can't lock you in at night.

(note that they could probably do this with your tailgate, too. :))

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Great setup and thanks for showing it up here!

I would also remove the jack and maybe even the tailgate if you can't close it. You'll probably shave 150 pounds at least.

We are leaving for Panama on Dec 17th (quick trip) so we will perhaps see you on the road!

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
Sounds like it will be a fun trip.

The toyota trucks are great because they are so darn reliable.

BUT, make sure you got some good tires for the trip.

If you are going to leave the tail gate on the truck like it is, go outside right NOW and make sure you can get your spare tire off the truck.

This might seem like a hassle at the moment, but trust me, it might be well worth the extra few mintues spent.

With the truck tail gate lowered like that you can't always get access to the spare tire release !

And if you take the camper jacks off, you will for sure be SOL (because without camper jacks you won't be able to get the camper off the truck to gain access to the spare tire release !!

You might be OK, but it would be worth checking out ahead of time.

Have a safe trip !!

:)

D

Deleted member 9101

And if you take the camper jacks off, you will for sure be SOL (because without camper jacks you won't be able to get the camper off the truck to gain access to the spare tire release !![/B]

Have a safe trip !!

If It was me, I'd strap them to the roof.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
If you are going to leave the tail gate on the truck like it is, go outside right NOW and make sure you can get your spare tire off the truck.

This might seem like a hassle at the moment, but trust me, it might be well worth the extra few mintues spent.

With the truck tail gate lowered like that you can't always get access to the spare tire release !

And if you take the camper jacks off, you will for sure be SOL (because without camper jacks you won't be able to get the camper off the truck to gain access to the spare tire release !!

Have a safe trip !!

Solid advice right there.

rockandroll

Adventurer
Sounds like it will be a fun trip.

This might seem like a hassle at the moment, but trust me, it might be well worth the extra few minutes spent.

Great. advice. Just checked it out and we are (barely) okay. We can lower the spare with the tailgate down. Off with the Jacks!

We do plan on leaving the tailgate on as a landing/outdoor shelf. It's come in quite handy so far & the camper does sit about 3-4 inches on the tailgate. The steel steps that came with the camper weigh a ton, so we're going to get a little step stool to use with the tailgate.

We're actually going to mount a jerrycan right on that tailgate with a cable lock running through O-bolts screwed into the camper rear wall. Thought about mounting a custom rear bumper to get the job done but this is free! I will put up some pictures once this is completed.

rockandroll

Adventurer
removing tailgate? or leaving as a landing?

if you're removing it, I'd have you consider a swing out tire carrier like tacodoc has on his rig. That would provide good protection for your camper as well as a good way to mount fuel, oil, tire, jack, etc...

I'd add that I would want you to figure out a way to LOCK it open, so that bandits can't lock you in at night.

(note that they could probably do this with your tailgate, too. :))

Thanks for the advice. The Palominos have installed a break-away front canvas as an "exit." So we should be able to escape the camper with ease.

rockandroll

Adventurer
Air Dam Install

Installed an air dam in the rain today. Like most truck camper and Tundra combinations there was a substantial gap between the cab and cabover. The idea and install was straight-forward: 2 4x4 white vinyl posts at 90 degrees, 4 screws and washers on each post, and a healthy dose of construction adhesive. I had to drill holes on both sides of the post to access the screws with a screw driver.

photo3xt.jpg

photo2as.jpg

While it's mainly for noise and handling, I'm hoping to get back about 1-2 MPG with this install.

Let me know if you have any questions.

WheelTired

Observer
wow, awesome combo. thanks for posting, I will keep an eye on this thread.
What kind of MPG's are you getting with this setup?

good advice here, taking notes !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles