2007 4Runner Upgrades

boblynch

Adventurer
The tires and shocks on my 2007 4Runner are worn out so I decided to upgrade with a mild lift and taller tires. The vehicle is used as my daily driver, family hauler, and tow vehicle for a small utility trailer. It also sees mild off road use and trips to the beach.

I just ordered a Sonoran Steel 3" lift kit. Looking at tire sizes 255/75R17 or 265/70R17.

The candidates are:
BFG All Terrain T/A KO
Cooper Discoverer A/T3
Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac
Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor
Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10

Any opinions, suggestions, and feedback would be appreciated.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I have the BFGs in 265/70/17 and I like them a lot better than the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor (255/55/17) or Nitto Terra Grapplers (265/70/17).

chmura

Adventurer
I am running 255/75/17 BFG KM MT. Really good tire. Glad I got it and maybe 1 mpg loss with lift and tire change.

boblynch

Adventurer
I'm leaning towards the 255/75R17 size vs. 265/70R17. Oddly enough two of my top tire choices (BFG AT and Goodyear DuraTrac) are not offered in that size. Given my high highway miles I'm leaning towards AT vs. MT tires.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I would stay away from the Hankooks. Although I had a set with no issues on my 99 T4R, one of the guys on DE-III this year had two catastrophic failures on his Dynapros within the space of less than 4 days.

In both cases he was driving on dirt at moderate speeds and the tire was shredded by the time he realized what was happening and stopped.

BFGs are pricier but IMO tires are one area where you don't want to cheap out.

FWIW I have an '07 T4R as well and I've been running BFG MTs in 255/75/17s. I really like them and surprised at how reasonably quiet they are. I have a mild (FJ Cruiser) lift and they rubbed the front fender liners a bit but my new bumper fixed that.

olsen_karl

Adventurer
I have 255/75/17 Goodyear Silent Armor tires (in the P-rated version) on my 4Runner. Only suspension mods are Bilstein 5100s; front set at 0.85, using stock coils.

I am getting good treadwear out of the tires, but they do not seem to stay balanced well. I would not buy them again.

boblynch

Adventurer
I really like the benefits of the 255/75R17, but the 265/70R17 offers a much wider tire selection. Wish the BFG ATs were available as a 255 with Black Sidewalls like they are in the MTs. Not a big fan of White.

bonomonster

Adventurer
Jump on the FJ Cruiser forums for 265-70-17s.... that's what come stock on FJs and guys are upgrading to 285s all the time and selling original tires dirt cheap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94