2006 Xterra OR project. Phase Two

bigskypylot

Explorer
I was reading on one of the titan forums not that long about the guys replacing their e-lockers with truetracs. Everyone loved the difference and said it's really great with Nissan's ABLS. Have you chosen which way you will go yet?

I'm still on the fence. For now itll be the e-locker that is in there. I do have an upgraded 2012 e-locker that I may put in when I upgrade the gears but could very well do the trutrac at that point in time. I'll probably do an a air locker up front but wish they had a LSD for the front or a true elocker. Harrop has one for the Y62 but that uses a different front diff from the M205. I think with what I want at times, the elocker would be best but I suppose a trutrqc would be about 90% as good as an elocker. Then again, the elocker has saved my bacon a few times lol

reaver

I myself am having a hard time deciding right now between a 2003 xterra, and a 2006 offroad model. They're about the same price (5200 and 165k for the 06 vs 5400 and 135k with good service history for the 03). I'm very aware of the smod issue potential with the 05-10 2nd gens.

bigskypylot

Explorer
I myself am having a hard time deciding right now between a 2003 xterra, and a 2006 offroad model. They're about the same price (5200 and 165k for the 06 vs 5400 and 135k with good service history for the 03). I'm very aware of the smod issue potential with the 05-10 2nd gens.

They both have their pros and cons. I'm partial to the second gen of course. I like the styling better. I wish the M226 on the X and T. I'm using a T width M226 with a locking diff for now. If I find out I need a stronger rear diff, I'll have one built by Mike at CJD. For now, itll be a trussed rear end, upgraded axles and 2012 elocker or trutrac when I do the gears. If you want more creature comforts, and more power, get the 2nd gen and replace the radiator. Better yet, find a 6MT if you can. Then theres always the timing chain guides lol

reaver

They both have their pros and cons. I'm partial to the second gen of course. I like the styling better. I wish the M226 on the X and T. I'm using a T width M226 with a locking diff for now. If I find out I need a stronger rear diff, I'll have one built by Mike at CJD. For now, itll be a trussed rear end, upgraded axles and 2012 elocker or trutrac when I do the gears. If you want more creature comforts, and more power, get the 2nd gen and replace the radiator. Better yet, find a 6MT if you can. Then theres always the timing chain guides lol

The only creature comforts I really need are heat and ac, which the first gens have. I can always get one of those heated seat pads.

I know the major issue with first gens is some oil leaks, and the timing belt, and the belt was done at 111k (it's got 135k on the clock). It's a tough call.

Regardless, I don't wanna steal your build thread. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this comes out.

Last edited:

leeleatherwood

The only creature comforts I really need are heat and ac, which the first gens have. I can always get one of those heated seat pads.

I know the major issue with first gens is some oil leaks, and the timing belt, and the belt was done at 111k (it's got 135k on the clock). It's a tough call.

Regardless, I don't wanna steal your build thread. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this comes out.

The power difference between the 1st and 2nd Gen is night and day. Even the Supercharged 1st gens are turds compared to the 4.0 and 5 Speed transmission from the 2nd gen.

reaver

The power difference between the 1st and 2nd Gen is night and day. Even the Supercharged 1st gens are turds compared to the 4.0 and 5 Speed transmission from the 2nd gen.

Honestly, I'm not all that worried about power. My current rig only had 225 when new, and the rig before that 190 (4.3 Vortec V6). If it crawls up and down trails without issues, that's all that matters to me. Most of the rigs I travel with have a hard time going 75 down the freeway anyways. ;)

bigskypylot

Explorer
Nice man! I'm looking forward to following the progress. I'm fixing the abs in my Colorado next week, then I can get started with the build on my 03 X.
Nice. Projects are definitely fun. I will be redoing the front and rear suspension sometime this year or early next.

After that, I'm looking at a Newer Mustang. Have to see what the next Mustang has to offer. I hear they may be doing an AWD variant

bigskypylot

Explorer
So, we ran in to an issue with the rear shocks being too short. I had picked up the Bilstein 5165 with Remote res at 24" I was sent a pair that was 22 3/8" i need 25.5" lol

So, on that note, I'll be selling these NEW 5165s at a discounted rate in the next month or so, tthey were $399 for the pair.

I ended up ordering a pair of Radflo 2.5 smooth body remote reservoir with compression adjusters . They are exactly 25.5" so I wont lose any travel. They just started building them today. Hoping two weeks out. Wiring is being worked on currently. Also, we had to order the UpRev MAF GT since the stock MAF would be overwhelmed more than likely. Hopefully we get it to the tuner in the next few weeks. Brennan is working his tail off and doing a great job. Stay tuned for more updates

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles