2006 Xterra OR project. Phase Two

bigskypylot

Explorer
View attachment 531871
Things are about to get interesting
I'd love to be able to tackle this myself but it would take forever and I'd probably blow up the motor The motor is going to need to be broken in with it having only 500 miles on it and its transmission (which is zero miles now since it was bulletproofed by LevelTen)
I'm using Mobil1 full synthetic for the break-in and the switching to Redline 5W20.

Last edited:

bigskypylot

Explorer
IMG9543741.jpg

Been a little quiet. Things should start getting more interesting. Need to order up some new gaskets and o-rings. Cleanest VK he's worked on so far. JWT CS2 camshafts going in along with the upgraded intake and exhaust springs

reaver

Definitely following. I'm looking to buy a first or second gen in the next year or two. 2nd gen if I can get a good deal on a relatively lower mile off road/pro 4x model.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Definitely following. I'm looking to buy a first or second gen in the next year or two. 2nd gen if I can get a good deal on a relatively lower mile off road/pro 4x model.

Definitely 2nd gen 2011+ the bugs have been worked out from 2011 on

reaver

Definitely 2nd gen 2011+ the bugs have been worked out from 2011 on
The reason I would go first gen over second is drive train strength, and cost. Whatever I buy is going to be a dedicated expo rig. It's not going to be a daily driver, so I don't mind sacrificing a few creature comforts in the name of cost.

That being said, having a locker from the factory and the torque of the 4l is very enticing.

bigskypylot

Explorer
The reason I would go first gen over second is drive train strength, and cost. Whatever I buy is going to be a dedicated expo rig. It's not going to be a daily driver, so I don't mind sacrificing a few creature comforts in the name of cost.

That being said, having a locker from the factory and the torque of the 4l is very enticing.
Yeah, I wish the rearend was more stout for sure. I'm using a Titan locking rear diff/axle and will be upgrading to a 2012 e-locker or tro trac and chromoly axles. We are trussing the rear axle as well
272d8b3d57bb03dbf3cfc3b31c9df979.jpg
b7e958e5a9ee333faaa83da19c8c082c.jpg
cb4977ca5db12539384e00fcc0b907d8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

reaver

Yeah, I wish the rearend was more stout for sure. I'm using a Titan locking rear diff/axle and will be upgrading to a 2012 e-locker or tro trac and chromoly axles. We are trussing the rear axle as well
272d8b3d57bb03dbf3cfc3b31c9df979.jpg
b7e958e5a9ee333faaa83da19c8c082c.jpg
cb4977ca5db12539384e00fcc0b907d8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
It sucks that finding a good first gen with under 150k is hard, and they go for a pretty penny. It's even harder to find one with a good maintenance history. I almost pulled the trigger on a 03 the other day, but the guy wanted too much, and wasn't willing to budge on the price.

docwatson

Adventurer
Yeah, I wish the rearend was more stout for sure. I'm using a Titan locking rear diff/axle and will be upgrading to a 2012 e-locker or tru trac and chromoly axles. We are trussing the rear axle as well
I was reading on one of the titan forums not that long about the guys replacing their e-lockers with truetracs. Everyone loved the difference and said it's really great with Nissan's ABLS. Have you chosen which way you will go yet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles