2006 tundra wiring

outofrshell

Adventurer
I am new to the Toyota world and recently bought a 2006 Tundra with the tow package option which has the factory wiring for the trailer plug, all is well and good except the auxiliary 12volt wire is on the ignition switch and for dumb proofing that is all right but I would like to have it come from the battery with it's own fuse so that I could use it for not just the trailer but also the LED lights in the shell and maybe a power port in the shell for charging whatevers. Does any one know if this can be safely done? Is this circuit tied to something else that you shouldn't mess with? Or is it just a matter of finding where it starts and rerouting it to the battery and if so where does it start from? Lots of question but I don't have a wiring schematic for the Tundra and I'm a little intimidated by all of the newer electronics.Thanks Dave

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
I think you would be better off leaving that circuit alone and adding an auxiliary power circuit.
Under the hood is a fuse/relay block. There is an unswitched maxi fuse you could tie into and then run a 8-10ga wire (w ground) into the cap (along the frame and through the boot in the front of the box. Then you can add a nice distribution block and outlets under the bed rail.
If you prefer to use the factory wire, you could replace the relay in that same fuse box with a jumper. The chart in the lid will tell you which one. It's specific to the trailer plug.

outofrshell

Adventurer
Thanks and you are right about the separate wire that is what I've always done in the past although what I may do is run the wire to the trailer plug and just abandon the factory wire because I already have a wire from the plug to the shell. I am really glad that that you mentioned where the fuse was to this circuit I had been wondering about that. Thanks again Dave

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Thanks and you are right about the separate wire that is what I've always done in the past although what I may do is run the wire to the trailer plug and just abandon the factory wire because I already have a wire from the plug to the shell. I am really glad that that you mentioned where the fuse was to this circuit I had been wondering about that. Thanks again Dave

I'm fairly certain that there's a dedicated fuse and relay for that trailer power- my V6 didn't have it, as the trailer package isn't available at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior