2006 Tundra DC Build

phsycle

Adventurer
I'll assume you've tried because I see you have a DC yourself, but I had talked to a few different people with first gen DCs who said it was doable, just a little tight in the switchbacks. It's going to be a real bummer if I can't, that's the one trail I've been wanting to do the longest.

Blackbear will be tight. May be doable. Once you get to the steps, you’re committed. You’ll have to make a 20-pt turn at the switchbacks due to your length and width. I took my DCSB Tacoma and I wouldn’t want to take anything longer or wider. But just depends on your comfort level of skirting the edges.

Your rear bumper will get hung up. I recommend some sort of protection back there. I used this, which worked great.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/body-armor-backbone-hitch-skid-5136/_/R-BKKM-5136

trailbikerider

I have not tried Black Bear. So true, that I can't say for sure. If you have talked with other 1st gen double cab owners who have done it, FKNA that is awesome! It's one of those things where, by the time you find out it's doable or not, you're already committed. I was never brave enough to try. Can't wait to see the pics when you do it!

Blackbear will be tight. May be doable. Once you get to the steps, you’re committed. You’ll have to make a 20-pt turn at the switchbacks due to your length and width. I took my DCSB Tacoma and I wouldn’t want to take anything longer or wider. But just depends on your comfort level of skirting the edges.

Your rear bumper will get hung up. I recommend some sort of protection back there. I used this, which worked great.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/body-armor-backbone-hitch-skid-5136/_/R-BKKM-5136

Thanks for the suggestions! I guess I will do some more research, but if it's even remotely possible I'd like to do it.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Here is a video of a Ram 2500 driving Black Bear. It should be doable in your Tundra. I'm interested in doing it in my Tundra too. Let us know how it goes.

trailbikerider

A few updates. I caved and bought a new set of wheels from FN Wheels, along with a few lighting and exterior upgrades.

I had Victory 4x4 (who is local) build me a set of sliders/steps as well. If you have a first gen double cab, and are looking for a set of sliders I highly recommend you consider theirs. They are very stout and look great. They are also 100% bolt on.

Untitled by Blake Nichols, on Flickr

tennesseewj

Observer
Did you remove the front bumper to take that chrome strip off or can you get at it with the hood up? That project is on my list to tackle soon...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

trailbikerider

Did you remove the front bumper to take that chrome strip off or can you get at it with the hood up? That project is on my list to tackle soon...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I had to remove the bumper. There are 6 clips on the backside, and then you have to pry it off of the bumper without breaking it. There's also adhesive that holds it to the front bumper.

idriveabox

Truck looks great, love the FNs (partial as I have the fx pro ha). Any details on the fog lights and the black housing you’ve got?

trailbikerider

Truck looks great, love the FNs (partial as I have the fx pro ha). Any details on the fog lights and the black housing you’ve got?

Thanks! The fog lights are Amber Cannon LEDs from Element LED, and the shrouds are from trucks that would have not come with factory foglights. All I had to do to make everything fit was take a dremel and open the back of them up.

Loubaru

Adventurer
How wide are your wheels? I'm looking at getting a set of 17x8.5 but am worried the tire will look "stretched" with 265/70/17s.

PHeller

Adventurer
Likely 17x8 -10 FN Countersteer Type-X. If they're Six Shooters they are 17x8 -0, so either way they are 17x8.

Trailbikerider, did you have issues with the spacers? The 4Runner wheels you had previously were roughly the same offset as stock +15 vs +18. 1st Gen Tundras have the lowest offset of any Toyota product from the factory at +18. 0 or -10 is still sunken in those big fenders.

I'm thinking of trying 255x80R17 on my stock 17" alloy wheels and your truck gives me a good idea of what it would look like. We even have the same color truck!

dirtnsmores

What happened to this build. Thinking about getting a first gen tundra myself. My Tacoma prerunner is starting to feel small for the family.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles