2006 Tacoma DCSB camping/dirt biking build

TT-Tacoma

Observer
So I figured I'd share what I've done so far to my truck after owning it for a couple years. I split my time between camping/dirtbiking with our Taco and our WK2. I've kept the WK2 stock for the most part since it's still new and the wife is the daily driver of that thing.

So the Taco has been a slow build if it could even be called that. I've historically just added stuff to my vehicles here and there when needed and never gone really far with a daily driver beside a hot rod stint with a 95 Cobra turbo build years back.

So I started with a used 2006 Tacoma DCSB TRD Off Road with the 6 speed two years ago. I couldn't really afford spending time on mods due to a new house arriving at the same time so it sat in it's stock form that winter.

I had the TSB rear springs done and installed front and rear 5100's the spring of last year. Started out with the front shocks at the middle height of 1.25" but after the rear springs settled I dropped them down to .85" and left it like that for a while.

Later that summer I was out dirt biking and we had two bikes act like jet skis and when I loaded up the two bikes she sagged quite a bit. So shortly after I installed the ride rite air bags to avoid any future issues when loading her up.

A couple months later I convinced the wife I needed a Softopper so I can keep more gear dry and have the advantages of a topper but the weight and storage of a tonneau cover. Easily the best mod so far.

After the Softopper I found it was really dark inside the bed so I installed some led bed lights that run off a separate battery and are activated off a toggle switch and a magnetic switch.

Next up was the wiring up of a three port 12v in the bed and a battery upgrade. Decided to go with a group 31 AGM and a LVC direct to the battery for the 12v ports.

During the time of the wiring and battery upgrade I found a old Norcold fridge and set that up to mount in the bed.

Up next I finally found a set of used wheels and tires and got those installed. Went with a set of 17x8.5" wheels with +10 backspacing and shoed them with some 255/75/17 bfg mt's.

At this point I'm planning on putting the front shocks to either the 1.50" or 2.25" height. Haven't decided yet.

Anywho. That's where it's at right now. Enjoy.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TT-Tacoma

Observer
Quick update on the truck. Last weekend we adjusted the front 5100's from the .85" setting to the max at 2.5". Really liking the way that the truck sits now and I don't plan on going any higher at this time. I may have to address my torn boot upper ball joints with some new upper control arms which would help with my alignment and handling. The truck pulls hard to the left now after lifting and research shows that it is because I have a lack of caster which is because of the lack of adjustment with the factory range of adjustments. I'm still on the fence with the new wheels and tires and haven't listed/sold the stock ones yet. I decided to see how much I would like the wheels with more black on them and I'm leaning more towards keeping them now. I do wish the tires were bigger/taller though so they would fill the fenders better. I'm also planning on building some drawers for the bed to keep stuff in all the time and have a place to lock up long guns when out and about.

Anywho here's how she looks when I got done tonight.

Attachments

• DSC_0618.JPG
    DSC_0618.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

TT-Tacoma

Observer
Finally got my truck bed sleeping platform and drawer system finished. It took a bit longer than I initially planned but I'm happy with the way it turned out. Got the poly on it tonight and should be dry tomorrow. I plan on using our big Exped two person self inflating mattress in there and being a shorter fella sleeping at an angle gives me plenty of room. I also designed the two front hatches to allow access to my tie down points so I can still haul a single dirt bike if desired. The piece of wood at the end near the tailgate has magnets I put on it so it sticks to the fridge and gives support at the end. With the locking latch on the drawer I finally have a place to put my long guns that's out of sight and since the tailgate locks they will essentially be double locked which is what I prefer.

DSC_0635.jpegDSC_0636.jpegDSC_0637.jpeg

JDoan

That looks awesome! Just be wary of tailgate locks--they can be defeated pretty easily. However, the best thing about the drawers is they keep things out of sight, out of mind!

TT-Tacoma

Observer
That looks awesome! Just be wary of tailgate locks--they can be defeated pretty easily. However, the best thing about the drawers is they keep things out of sight, out of mind!
Thanks.

That's a bit of a bummer on the tailgate locks. Hopefully with the drawer and being out of sight the shady folks will move on. Or at least the locks will slow them down enough to where they spook and take off before getting in.

Typically the people I see with cars gone through it's because either A. They left it unlocked or B. They left something of value in plain sight.

TT-Tacoma

Observer
New tires! These just arrived at my buddies shop. Kanati Trail Hogs in 285/70/17. We'll be putting them on the truck on Thursday. Can't wait to get rid of my old used BFG KM's and have some tires that will fit the truck better.

Also have Icon progressive AAL springs on the way to the house. Will be nice to have the extra payload capacity and not rely soley on the airbags for the needed lift.
388303e6d0b99cacec5a2520d2534b3b.jpg

TT-Tacoma

Observer
Got my new tires installed yesterday and the AAL's installed today. Really like the way it looks now. Tires did rub on the lower plastic air deflector deal so that had to go. No rubbing on the frame or body mount either.

Tires are fantastic compared to my old BFG KM's. Pretty quiet on the road and much better going through corners and such.

Right now I only have 10psi in the bags and am going to stick with that unless I find I need more. The added leaves went on great except for getting the incorrect center pin bolt. Luckily I have a tap and die set so I just cut more threads down to where they were supposed to be.DSC_0013.jpegDSC_0014.jpeg

TT-Tacoma

Observer
So the motivation behind the drawer width and the center channel in that system is for the dirt bike?
For the most part yes.

If I was going to haul a bike in the bed I'd move the fridge into the cab though. I'd say 90% of the time I'll use my hitch hauler. The other 10% a bike would be in the bed.

Bonus of having the center channel is I could sit back there if needed too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles