2006 Stewart & Stevenson/BAE 6x6 Build

O2Bob

Observer
Hi,
Wow, just been busy a couple days with our move and been missing this great thread. Since we have to sell our MB 917er Rig, due to not getting it into the US. Of course we want to get a new large Rig, just our requirments are pushing us back to a MB. I want to have a Cab-Over to save in length.
I do have some questions to your Rig, since i was having a hard time getting a answer (or a good answer).
-The problems with driveline, causing some Trucks to flip. Was only in the early years, which ones?
- Read that the fuel consumption extremly high is. My Rig has about 12mpg, what are you expecting.
- How is the ride quality? the Pics in net seem to have min insolation. Of course I could add this myself.
- Your Rig has beaded Rims with the Nato size Tires. Are the Rims Aluminium?

Thanks for your input.

Mike

Hi Mike,

-The driveline issues were all taken care of, I think there was an update/recall for early trucks but contact BAE in Texas for the final word.

-If you keep the stock gearing 7.8 ratio the truck will be at the rev limiter (2400rpm) @ 58mph, so you need to gauge your fuel consumption for what speed you want to average. I am re-gearing to 6.13 and installing 14/20 Michelin XZL tires that are 3" taller and almost the same width. It should reduce my 55mph cruise speed to 1800rpm. Cat confirmed this is the sweet spot for HP/Tq on the 3126. I estimated 10-11mpg but it is very difficult to calculate drag of a full-time 6x6 driveline.

-Ride quality is very good but I will be insulating the cab and adding air ride seats for extra comfort.

-Wheels are standard military steel double bead locks with CTIS. (HEAVY!)

Hope this helps,

-R

O2Bob

Observer
HiDo you think running a truck with such a high possible capacity, but so lightly laden in your camper use, will give everything outside your air-ride cab a hard time?

Will there be room for a jacuzzi without the slide outs though? ;)

:)

The suspension of these trucks are known for being soft sprung for the load our military places on them. The older 5 tons were only tolerable when carrying large payloads. My guess (and I mean guess) is the FMTV's added deck height,soft suspension, high HP combined with very heavy loads contributed to the "lore."

The current box on the truck weighs over 10,000lbs empty. With my new box and added wet weight plus extras I am under 5k. You would be surprised how well a properly tuned walking beam suspension rides off-road compared to a standard single axel rear. I have some experience with Baja class suspensions and will set up the truck accordingly. Google King Off-Road Racing Shocks and you will get the idea.:sombrero:

Hmmmmm..............Jacuzzi............what if I pull a trailer!!!:D

-R

Last edited:

Allroader

Observer
Thanks Robert,

May I ask for a ballpark figure on changing the axel ratio?
Just trying to figure out, what will be the better fit to us.

Thanks
Mike

O2Bob

Observer
Thanks Robert,

May I ask for a ballpark figure on changing the axel ratio?
Just trying to figure out, what will be the better fit to us.

Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike,

Depending on if you can do your own work as I am, parts for just the ring & pinion are around $1k each. Not bad if you consider they are forged parts. I am still waiting on prices for either Detroit Tru-tracs or full Detroit lockers. Shoot me a pm if you have other questions.

On a side note I just picked up seven new Michelin XZL 14r 20's I will be mounting up for the 6x6. I will post some pics in the near future. So I have four 395/85-r20 Michelin XML with 116 miles on them available.

-R

cwsqbm

Explorer
Do you mean just because of its looks or because of ITAR type issues?

I would think the issue would be ITAR. People drive MANs, Mogs, and other non-USA military trucks across borders all the time. It depends on what paperwork was signed when he bought this, as its a rare find compared to most retired trucks.

Given a civilian paint job and custom rear box, it won't stand out as much as M35 or similar old-school military truck. The cabover design is pretty generic looking to the average joe, like most commercial trucks from Europe.

bob91yj

Resident **************
I was an Allison Transmission Field Service Tech for 10 years or so. That transmission is almost bullet proof. Parts are available at any Allison dealership/distributor. Trash trucks (extreme duty cycle) get an easy 100,000+ miles out of the transmission. It'll last the life of the vehicle in most civilian applications.

Looking forward to updates.

pairospam

Observer
6x6 build

Robert:

Apart from the technical issues, I think that you are very lucky having the opportunity to build your offroad motorhome on such a base truck. It is out of question a very capable and beautiful machine. Unfortunately I have never seen one of these here in my homeland, and if there were surely the price would be unreachable.
It is quiet uncommon to find people in the USA that want an overcab 6x6 to build a camper on it and I am interested in your comments about why you took this decision.
I am in the process of building myself a 6x6 motorhome on a Mercedes NG basis and the considerations on the subject were (and are) a lot.
Best wishes for your project.

Cheers.

Pairoa

jronwood

Adventurer
I saw a lightly damaged cab over 4x4 like this sell GL and it went for 40K. YIKES. It was Loong, nice for sure but $$$$. You got a great deal, enjoy.

Jronwood

D

Deleted member 9101

Im very interested in your thoughts on this vehicle from a quality and technical standpoint, especially since there arent many in private hands. Though one truck out a fleet is an isolated example, but I have done some reading on these and the S&S models at least, appear to be complete carbage. I have never owned one, so info is all heresay, but it was basically a very expensive truck built very poorly by the lowest bidder who ultimately lost the contract there were so many problems. I have heard similar stories on everything from guns to boats from friends in the military. People have this image that Mil-Spec is super high quality and high spec, etc, when in reality its often the exact opposite.

One could argue that a large cabover like an Isuzu FTR, UD2600 or Mitsubishi FM are very well built and could easily be converted to 4WD by a company like Tulsa Truck MFG. These trucks are easy service through large dealer networks and cheap to purchase. A converted model could then be built into whatever you desire. I have to imagine that getting parts from BAE or S&S is going to be an expensive nightmare.

Subscribed...

I have driven them since the Army first started using them... your "research" is incorrect.

tamangel

Adventurer
here's a thread from 2008 on them on Steel Soldiers.. no pic access unless you sign up.. no real 'research' on my part and consensus seems to go both ways..compared to the M35 mostly. May work in expo environment as trucks here don't have to be 'Bubba proof' per military framework.. Anyway, several points pro and con..

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/fmtv/23186-my-dads-new-fmtv.html

various configurations..

LAND_FMTV_Family_lg.jpg

Mike

Last edited:

O2Bob

Observer
Sorry for the long delay in updating this thread as I have been on a Denver Co. to Prudhoe Bay Ak. motorcycle trip most of the summer...

I will update my info as soon as I have a moment.

-Robert

D

Deleted member 9101

here's a thread from 2008 on them on Steel Soldiers.. no pic access unless you sign up.. no real 'research' on my part and consensus seems to go both ways..compared to the M35 mostly. May work in expo environment as trucks here don't have to be 'Bubba proof' per military framework.. Anyway, several points pro and con..

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/fmtv/23186-my-dads-new-fmtv.html

various configurations..

View attachment 68469

Mike

Nice thread, and many opinions that go either way. The only problem I see is 99% of them have never even driven one. Anybody that prefers the older trucks to a LMTV has obviously done a convoy in one...lol.

O2Bob

Observer
Photo Update...

So here are a few photos after the original box came off! Holy Sh!* was this thing overbuilt and heavy!. Had to pull it off with a loader! Near future is to shorten the frame/wheelbase and decide which mounting system I will use for the new living quarters box.

Attachments

• FmtvFront.jpeg
    FmtvFront.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 609
  • FmtvPassRear.jpeg
    FmtvPassRear.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 545
  • FmtvBack.jpeg
    FmtvBack.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:

Forum statistics