2006 or 2013 Land Cruiser?

E

eugarps

Hello,

I know there are strong feelings and allegiances on these two generations. I’ve found two southern TLCs with probably no rust and both are bone stock.

For overlanding, which one should I consider, given that I may tow a trailer and would be keeping it for a very long time.

What are your thoughts on long term parts availability and longevity?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GTV

They’re both excellent vehicles. Mentioning that you tow makes me lean towards the 200 but really you’ll have to drive each one and see which is preferable to you.

E

eugarps

Thanks GTV. I’m leaning toward older and simpler but newer and more parts availability makes sense too. I will most certainly drive both.

Bill

The 2006 isn't exactly a 70 series, it has navigation, hydraulic suspension, and all the computers that come with that. The 2013 does have about 100 HP more, which would be very nice when towing.

civil_offroad

@eugarps Check out ih8mud both the 100 series and 200 series forums. I agree the newer one if your going to tow. I have a 1999 100 series myself, but I dont plan on towing anything larger than a turtle back trailer.

As far as availability of parts, I think that depends. I think any car will have this issue but, I have resourced information from many cruiser people in order to get parts for other toyota projects. Their are times when its just absolutely "unobtainium" , but I wouldnt worry about that too much. Otherwise you'll never get out there and explore.

Longevity, well thats in the eye of the owner. I firmly believe that if you take care of it, it should take care of you. I obtained my rig in 2017 with 130k on the clock. To date, Ive put in the time and money to get it to the point where I feel comfortable taking it "off the beaten path." There are rigs on mud that have 500k on the clock and they're still going. But regular maintenance and care has probably been the biggest factor.

Good Luck

E

eugarps

WiscoinChicago,

From what I gather, as long as you change the water pump and timing belt every 90k miles, the 4.7L will run for a really long time. My son had his Lexus RX-350 done and the water pump and belt install was $800.00. That’s about $12.00/mo for me.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

Riptide

Explorer
I had a 2005, and now drive a 2014. The 200 is great for towing, much better than the 100, and does everything well. I am sure aftermarket stuff will catch up as the trucks age a little.

But truthfully, I enjoyed my 100 a bit more. I can't place my finger on it. I just really loved that truck. But a rotting frame has a way of getting in the way of that relationship...

Kayak Taco

I've had both. Towing and Daily Driving, I much prefer my 2008, but I agree with Riptide, the 100 series has a little more soul to it. A good rust free example of either will exceed 350k miles with good maintenance. I sold my 2000 with 326k miles on it, and would have trusted it to go across the country at any point. MY 2008 has 217k and feels as solid as new. I'd get the cleanest, best cared for example you can find of either and enjoy.

E

eugarps

Thanks everyone. In my case, the 100 is a 2006 and a Florida truck with 125,000 miles and the 200 is now a 2009 and a Tennessee truck with 135,000 miles. I’ll be driving both soon. My research shows both have similar fuel consumptions with a slight edge to the 100 Series. Does that sound right? The SAE towing guidelines hurt both Series. Does that sound about right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior