2006 Mitsubishi Montero Limited worth it.

Montesaurus

Thanks all! I appreciate all the info and insights so far.

I will get those codes pulled asap and post them, also will avoid the flush an just do a drain.

The original plan for this Monty was exploring and moutain driving here in Co but alas have only been able to use it as a DD so far which seems out of its element not that its bad it just doesn't excel at this.

Grump E-Vet

@Montesaurus I have personally driven some of the same year Monteros as the one you got in Iraq\Afghanistan and we gave a bunch to our host-nation “allies” there. On some of the shittiest raids imaginable (and that is when they don’t have IEDs buried in them) they were beat to ******** and just kept on going.

In case you didn’t know the 3rd gen Montero was designed in house at Mitsubishi came but because of the Diamond Star joint venture with Chrysler there were some Jeep engineers working on it as well as part of their exchange program.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-a-mitsubishi-montero-is-the-best-buy-in-class-1831046049

SONICMASD

Adventurer
I just went through this with one of my Gen3s. The causes could be:

1. Exhaust Manifold leaks(s) - Very Likely, all Gen3s seem to experience cracked exhaust manifolds (one of those design flaws I was eluding to earlier ;-) ) though usually not until at least 150k I've found. Pray it's the Passenger side because the Driver side is must more annoying to get to. If it does turn out to be a manifold, I have imported aftermarket ones on hand so hit me up if you need them because $350/ea OEM ones and $800 headers from Australia are the only other options.
2. Bad O2 Sensor(s) - Use Denso brand for replacement if needed
3. Intake/Vacuum leak - lots of little vacuum hoses all over the intake manifold could cause this code if they have a leak. A common culprit is the lower plenum butterfly rod...but again, this doesn't normally present itself until at least 150k (another one of the design / parts support flaws because you can't buy a new butterfly assembly.) You have to buy a whole new lower plenum "surge tank" from the dealer for like $800.) By the age and mileage of your rig, I'm guessing maybe your Monty was not used very often and sat for a lot of it's life and that may have caused the rubber o-ring to shrink or become brittle faster than normal.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
That seams odd as the recall ended part ways into MY2002 vehicles. Manufactured 12/12/1999 - 6/20/2001.

I'm not sure why the recall ended there because I've heard of plenty of 2003-2006 G3s needing an EBB accumulator or pump. In fact, I never even knew about the recall til you mentioned it and just figured every G3 needed a new accumulator and pump,typically around 150-200k. My 2003's accumulator was replaced around 180k but I've still got the pump to worry about and my 2005 is on its original unit and currently at 169k. Maybe the NM Monteros experienced their failures earlier in mileage?

Montesaurus

@Montesaurus I have personally driven some of the same year Monteros as the one you got in Iraq\Afghanistan and we gave a bunch to our host-nation “allies” there. On some of the shittiest raids imaginable (and that is when they don’t have IEDs buried in them) they were beat to **** and just kept on going.

In case you didn’t know the 3rd gen Montero was designed in house at Mitsubishi came but because of the Diamond Star joint venture with Chrysler there were some Jeep engineers working on it as well as part of their exchange program.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-a-mitsubishi-montero-is-the-best-buy-in-class-1831046049
Fascinating article and perspective on real world experience and usage of these trucks

Montesaurus

Thanks for the suggestions and possibilities in regards to the thrown code it gives me a good starting place on hunting down the issue.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
If you are located on the East or West coast, there are also some members who can help check some things in person. Make sure you grab the FSM from the link in my signature. It is a set of linked PDF files that will be invaluable.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
The brake booster cylinder recall and the ABS pump failure are unrelated as far as I understand it. The ABS pump is a straight up wear item, the motor just eats it's own brushes and stator over time. It's the same issue on similar generation 4runners and GX470s - a quick search on Toyota forums will show even more failures than ours (just due to numbers). In fact you can swap pumps back and forth (mine is a rebuilt 4runner pump.) The booster cylinder was a bad part originally which is what the recall was for, it also may be a wear item (not sure here) but most people figure that while you're replacing the pump (which is pain, and somewhat expensive) you may as well replace the cylinder (which is cheap and easy).

Montesaurus

If you are located on the East or West coast, there are also some members who can help check some things in person. Make sure you grab the FSM from the link in my signature. It is a set of linked PDF files that will be invaluable.
Currently in Northern Colorado. I appreciate the link!

Montesaurus

The brake booster cylinder recall and the ABS pump failure are unrelated as far as I understand it. The ABS pump is a straight up wear item, the motor just eats it's own brushes and stator over time. It's the same issue on similar generation 4runners and GX470s - a quick search on Toyota forums will show even more failures than ours (just due to numbers). In fact you can swap pumps back and forth (mine is a rebuilt 4runner pump.) The booster cylinder was a bad part originally which is what the recall was for, it also may be a wear item (not sure here) but most people figure that while you're replacing the pump (which is pain, and somewhat expensive) you may as well replace the cylinder (which is cheap and easy).
Thanks for the info! it is good to know they are interchangable. After searching alot I couldn't nail down the exact symtoms of an imminent failure? failue is followed by abs lights and buzzer but before that generally are there warning signs? Recently my brake pedal has felt alittle different (unsure exactly since seating postion changed and pedal feel isn't something I thought about until looking up the hbb noise) and the Booster motor runs loudly and quite often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94