2006 Mitsubishi Montero Limited worth it.

Montesaurus

Hey all glad to be part of the forum!

I recently bought a 06 Montero Limited for $6000 it has 110k miles it is in good physical condition and runs well. There are alot of things to like about this truck but I have recently run into a few issues that need to be addressed. Before I start dumping $$ into the truck I was wondering are these rigs really that reliable and worth it or should I off load it and get something else like a newer model Xterra or something.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks in advance

nwoods

Expedition Leader
So, there are known issues that can and probably will occur, but fundamentally the 3rd Gen Montero is over built, exceptionally durable, and modestly capable. 200,000 -250,000 miles is very common for the Gen2’s, and mechanically the Gen3’s are very similar. Transmissions and transfer cases and diffientails are pretty bulletproof. Engines tend to develop leaks in multiple locations, but all are fixable, and not terribly hard. Before I owned a Montero, I was barely capable of changing brake pads. I’m on my second Montero in the past few years, and I have learned how to rebuild a motor! I am non-mechanical. I have zero natural aptitude for it, but even I managed to do the basic engine maintenance needed to replace the various seals and gaskets. It’s even kinda fun. These are ultimately pretty simple engines.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Welcome to the forum, I think we get these posts about once a week so a quick search will reveal half a dozen of them without much trouble with varying degrees of depth.

In general, the inmates here feel that the Monteros (of all generations) are fantastic rigs that are reliable and underrated. Unfortunately many of these rigs were not well maintained because they were a cheaper alternative when they were new and so now they can have existent maintenance issues that make them appear unreliable. However, for those of us that have caught the maintenance up with 15-25 years of neglect they are very capable trucks. It's important to know what you mean by capable - if you mean towing a 10k lb trailer then no, they're not going to cut it, if you want to tackle the heavy duty rock crawling stock - they're going to struggle (though not as bad as you might think).

Anyways, I like my truck and it's been very capable of handling everything I can throw at it, while largely stock, which is a big win in my book. As Nwoods mentions, it's very easy to learn and do most of this maintenance stuff and advice is easy to come by.

offthepath

Adventurer
What kind of work does it need?

Like anything, newer will generally be less work, but you pay a price, and new turns old very quick.

I always laugh when people say their car needs $1000 worth of work. So they go out and spend 30k on a new car.

plh

Explorer
Hey all glad to be part of the forum!

I recently bought a 06 Montero Limited for $6000 it has 110k miles it is in good physical condition and runs well. There are alot of things to like about this truck but I have recently run into a few issues that need to be addressed. Before I start dumping $$ into the truck I was wondering are these rigs really that reliable and worth it or should I off load it and get something else like a newer model Xterra or something.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks in advance

If you have any desire to get out of it, I'm looking for a low mileage '06...

Montesaurus

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

Besides normal maintenance it is in need of transmission flush/new cv joint (eventually) and new tires but the biggest issue seems to be the dreaded hbb failure with the abs system.

plh

Explorer
it is in need of transmission flush

are you thinking just for a PM or do you have some issue? I've got 180K miles on my '05 and I doubt its ever been done. I do have 12 quarts of SP3, and ready to do it once the weather improves (PM only)

Montesaurus

On the pre buy inspection the mechanic said the trans fluid was alittle dark tinge (not dark or burnt) so he suggested a flush as PM. Recently there has been a motor sound coming from the left dash on the driver side randomly when the brakes are applied can also generate the motor sound if the brakes are pumped. Additionally the engine light on and traction control lights. After reading online it sounds like a failing Hydraulic brake pump possibly.

ps it did have the recalled faulty brake accomulator replaced at around 55k miles

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Welcome to the group. Trans flush : normal mainteneance. Motor sound when using the brakes: normal, thats just the pump working. New CV (rebuild the oem ones, dont buy aftermarket): not a big deal, normal for IFS vehicles. Check engine light and traction control lights on: could be a big deal or could be nothing. Go to Autozone or Oreilly and have them read and give you the codes then post back here.

As for Monteros, people are probably gonna get mad at me but imo they are not very reliable if your definition of reliable is not requiring a lot of maintenance. If your definition of reliable is that they last a long time with maintenance then they are very reliable but in that case, a lot of things are.

Monteros have plenty of items that need way more maintenance than most vehicles because of a lot of design drawbacks/flaws and these expenses are compounded by them by very finicky/particular with what brand of parts can be used and a limited service and support network.

Imo - you’ll spend way more money maintaining a Montero then say an Explorer but an Explorer would be a much worse platform for building up for offroading.

What are you looking to do with your rig? If it’s just for daily driving then there might be a lot of other better options because Monteros don’t command/hold their value as well as many other more popular vehicles.

That’s my opinion after having owned around 2 dozen vehicles in my life, 4 being Monteros. That said, they’re my favorite vehicles for overlanding/camping/exploring and if yours is rust free and want to sell just let me know, I could use a low milage one (seriously)!

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Do not flush the transmission unless you want it to fail shortly after, only do a drain and fill with new filter. Feel free to google "transmission problems after flush" if you need confirmation. As for the rest of the "issues", those are easy fixes and tires are just another use item.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Oh and this is really important - use genuine mitsu SPIII fluid only, nothing else, even if it says “SPIII compatible”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles