2006 Mazda B2300 Build Thread

thethePete

Explorer
^ This is true. The Level2 was a pretty wild package over all, had several unique features to it, which is probably why it slipped my mind that it had a Torsen in it.

Yeah, I have an Edge chassis, so I benefit from being able to bolt on most of the 4x4 parts. I need a front skid. I think the front of your crossmember should be close though, the rack still mounts the same on all models, so the front crossmember should be close. I'm interested in seeing what's required. Either way, you're gonna love having 2 wheel traction in your life. It's fun going back to old spots to truly appreciate the difference.

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
^ This is true. The Level2 was a pretty wild package over all, had several unique features to it, which is probably why it slipped my mind that it had a Torsen in it.

Yeah, I have an Edge chassis, so I benefit from being able to bolt on most of the 4x4 parts. I need a front skid. I think the front of your crossmember should be close though, the rack still mounts the same on all models, so the front crossmember should be close. I'm interested in seeing what's required. Either way, you're gonna love having 2 wheel traction in your life. It's fun going back to old spots to truly appreciate the difference.

Yea I can't wait to try it with a real 2wd(Probably sounds dumb to 4wd owners haha). Must be nice having that front crossmember, you can simply put oem front tow hooks on, i don't even have any crossmember behind my bumper, just rad

thethePete

Explorer
The skid plate bolts to the frame on the sides, IIRC no attachment to the bumper itself. Shouldn't have any issues. It's got 2 bolts to the bottom crossmember where the steering rack is, and 1 or 2 bolts on either side up to the frame horns. It kinda just ends behind the bumper.

Hey, most 4wd owners only have 2wd at the end of the day too ;)

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
The skid plate bolts to the frame on the sides, IIRC no attachment to the bumper itself. Shouldn't have any issues. It's got 2 bolts to the bottom crossmember where the steering rack is, and 1 or 2 bolts on either side up to the frame horns. It kinda just ends behind the bumper.

Hey, most 4wd owners only have 2wd at the end of the day too ;)

Well that good to hear then, hopefully I never have to use the skid plates but its a good peace of mind, I'm hoping the lsd helps the most in sand and snow, that' what screws me up the most

thethePete

Explorer
I find it to be perfect. 3.73s and 31s is not enough gear. My old axle was 4.10s and I found it ideal, good RPMs on the highway but plenty of pick up. 3.73s (axle I just swapped under) lugs on the highway under 95km/h and struggles a little taking off with a big load on a hill. I have 4.10s to go back into my new axle, I just haven't got around to swapping.

4.10s and 31s and I didn't *need* to downshift to pass.

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
So I did end up getting the axle, 2.5" blocks and the gas tank skid plate. The brakes are completely shot on the axle but so are the ones on my current diff so that's alright.

Found a stock B2300, makes me a little sad on the amount of I've spent on my truck

And went camping this weekend, loaded the cap right to roof. We also slept in the cap which was absolutely terrible, Mosquitoes went straight through the box drain holes(or so I'm assuming) and when we woke up there were dozens inside

Last edited:

livetoride21

Adventurer
oof I remember having two dirtbikes in the back of my 4 banger with 4:10s and 31s and it was just about all that I wanted in it in hilly areas. I can't imagine towing two quads loll
Good score on the dif, is that a 28 or 31 spline axle?

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
oof I remember having two dirtbikes in the back of my 4 banger with 4:10s and 31s and it was just about all that I wanted in it in hilly areas. I can't imagine towing two quads loll
Good score on the dif, is that a 28 or 31 spline axle?

It was painfully slow, with the trailer it was over 1200 pounds aprox

The axle is a 31 spline from a level 2 fx4

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
48" Hilift Jack arrived yesterday, 3 cans of Sem Laundau black paint on the way as with a pair of 1.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers. My week off this month is not really going to be a relaxing time, planning on swapping the axle(putting the blocks in during that time), Painting the whole interior black, grinding down both bumpers and colour matching them as with my grill since it didn't turn out perfect last time, grinding all the dupilcolour bedliner off my rockers and around my fenders and putting hurculiner on, also going to hurculine my tailgate and bed caps/tailgate top. Won't have enough to do the rest of the box so that'll be another time...

My friend also bought a mint xj this week so he's quite eager to come off road soon

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
Swapped out the 7.5 open diff for the 8.8 today, besides having to replace all the brake parts it went well, threw in the factory 2.5" blocks, sits perfect to me with rake just like from the factory, next weekend I'm going off-road so I'll be able to test the limited slip!

This is with the old 7.5" axle in the box, should be similar in weight to the spare carrier /full size spare and roof basket

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles