2006 LR3 HSE Tie Rod Replacement

denver6161

After lurking on here for over a year I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a 2006 LR3 HSE with approximately 88,000 miles. I'm not new to LR (the 2006 is now parked next to my second 1996 Disco in the driveway) but I've never owned or worked on a vehicle with so many bells and whistles before. The previous owner indicated that the truck needed new tie rods (inner and outer) and I just wanted to know if there was anything about this job that would/should make me reconsider doing it myself? The Atlantic British kit seems like it has everything I would need to get it done over the course of an afternoon before taking the truck into a professional for an alignment. Any tips specific to LR3s tie rods that anyone would like to provide?

Other than that I've already purchased the Gap IID BT and was completely blown away by how deep into the woods you can get with the systems in the truck. I know I'm probably headed for a new alternator as well. If someone has a set of 18inch LR3 SE wheels taking up to much space let me know!

I do have to say that it was this forum and the LR3 build reports that got me looking for a rig that could get me 80% of the places in the Rocky Mountains I wanted to go but also not be unwieldy picking up my kids and getting around town. Thank you all!

DVD

Adventurer
I can 2nd the 2 above recommendations (Land Rover: Making mechanics of owners for 75 yrs). I've also had good experience and prices from UK vendors. Bearmach even sponsors some of our local club events. Shipping from UK is air-express and fast and usually surprisingly cheap.
Good luck with it!

denver6161

I appreciate the info about Bearmach. I've known about them for years but never really looked into it as I assumed it was difficult/expensive to get the parts shipped. Thanks for the heads up.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Congrats on your LR3. The mechanical aspects of swapping out tie rods is straight forward and easy. However, the alignment process with the air suspension is a bit more involved. I cant remember for sure, but i think that procedure is posted to lr3tips.wordpress.com (.org?). Good luck.

Blaise

I'm sure it'll get you 99% of the places you want to go in the Rockies. I've been down black bear and up Imogene with no issues with my stock LR3.

The tie rods are an easy fix, not any different than any other truck. You must enable 'tight tolerance mode' for alignment in your GAP tool, then turn it off once its aligned.

denver6161

Thank you all for the information. Just curious though, I was planning on just installing the new tire rods and doing a quick alignment with a basic measurement of the outer tie rod and a combination of the string test and counting the revolutions when taking off the old outer tie rod. From there I was just going to drive a few miles to my independent shop (they do alignments) and pay to have it professionally aligned. Would I have to enable 'tight tolerance mode' in the GAP tool to just do the basic (temporary, under 4 miles travel) alignment?

Blaise

Nope, the tight mode will only help once your'e on a laser.

You'll do a lot better setting the toe using fishing line and four jacks than counting the threads though. I've aligned vehicles like that for long term as well with no issues (not recommended for your LR3). If this is what you meant by string test - you're on the right track.

Count the threads and take it to a professional alignment shop that knows modern LR procedures; makes zero sense to do it any other way when you put new parts on. A few miles to the indy shop or LR shop is not going to hurt anything.

denver6161

Thanks for the assistance. I already have an appointment at my independent LR shop on Monday morning for an alignment and some other work. I've never owned a vehicle with air suspension (or this many computers for that matter) and just didn't know if the truck would freak out after the replacement. Seemed unlikely but thought I'd raise the question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94