2006 GMC Sierra Z71 build

team140

I've been a long time lurker of the overlanding world and decided that this was the year to build up a rig and get out there. My initial plans were to use a Wrangler TJ, but I outgrew that on the second trip. Kinda hard to pack up yourself, a wife, and two labradors in a Wrangler as well as have a place for your gear! Here's the new plan:

We traded a 2005 Mustang GT for this GMC. It's a 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 SLT Z71. Loaded with nearly every option.
mmph7psh.jpg

I couldn't deal with the camo stuff, so off it came! The fender flares actually damaged the paint from rubbing against it, so a plastidipped them and put them back on. Anybody have a set of factory fender flares (painted, not textured) they want to sell? Color doesn't matter, I'll paint 'em.
ouhZMB0h.jpg

Carol the Superdog approves! Carol is a guide dog puppy we're raising for Southeastern Guide Dogs. We only have her a short year or so before she goes back to Southeastern for her formal training.
v2gb6qCh.jpg

I bought an ARE CX series topper for the truck. It has dual LED strips that come on when you open the hatch, dual door locks, carpeted headliner, and Yakima Whispbar heavy duty roof rack. The Yakima bars are BEEFY
HfoIrDAh.jpg

This past weekend I moved the tent over to the truck.
QDYrssXh.jpg

UxOfKmrh.jpg

V2MlMbgh.jpg

The next plans are to finish it off with a 12v refrigerator, dual batteries, a winch, and an awning. The Jeep will get a tow bar and we'll drag it around to our destinations so we'll have something to run around in without breaking camp.

Last edited:

tacoma_AL

Adventurer
Looking forward to seeing this build! I'm in the process of trying to find a 4dr 06 07 myself - going to keep my tacoma for a project vehicle. Just don't see many of these trucks built up - looks clean

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the site Team140 and thanks for posting pics of your fine:Wow1::Wow1: rig. Looks like you already are well on the way to having a good expo set-up. Is that a Tepui roof top tent you got there? I would like to hear what you think of it. Nice looking dog you have there too. I look forward to seeing your build progres and seeing some action pics out in the bush. Cheers, Chilli...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles