2006 GMC Sierra Build

1stDeuce

Explorer
Nice trip writeup! And nice looking truck!! (Minus the 20's, of course. :) )

I do like the looks of the brushguard, but if I followed the install correctly, you're now without front tow points... ?? If that's the case, you might consider a front receiver hitch... I've seen people pull on the brush guard, and it doesn't usually go well if you pull very hard. (I didn't see how this one is mounted, so that's a general observation, not specific to your truck.)

Are you still thinking about the black steel wheels? Some 255/80's would look sweet on those wheels!

Whatever you do, keep up the reports!! :)
Chris

ZMagic97

Explorer
Nice trip writeup! And nice looking truck!! (Minus the 20's, of course. :) )

I do like the looks of the brushguard, but if I followed the install correctly, you're now without front tow points... ?? If that's the case, you might consider a front receiver hitch... I've seen people pull on the brush guard, and it doesn't usually go well if you pull very hard. (I didn't see how this one is mounted, so that's a general observation, not specific to your truck.)

Are you still thinking about the black steel wheels? Some 255/80's would look sweet on those wheels!

Whatever you do, keep up the reports!! :)
Chris

Thanks! I plan on getting the 20's off sometime in April or May most likely.

I actually have another brush guard I picked up brand new for dirt cheap to put on. Both install inside the frame where the tow hooks were at. The hooks are now gone, however if tied correctly it should suffice. I may go with a front hitch, but I honestly don't believe that with the traveling I do that it will be needed. It's something to certainly think about.

I am for sure going to put the black steel wheels on (I need to paint the other 3) and will most likely stick with a 35" tire. I'm afraid of the 255/80's (~33") tire looking too small. I would have to do some research.

ZMagic97

Explorer
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm a bit sick today and going to my niece's birthday party tomorrow. Either in the afternoon or Monday I hope to have the brush guards swapped out. I have some house work to tend to so we'll see how it goes. I also need to get the other rims painted...

ZMagic97

Explorer
Looking back on some of my posts, I realize I never put any info up of a small mod I did before the Crown King trip about 2 weeks ago.

Being that I love have tools, straps, towing equipment...etc, I need a way for us to carry tools with easy access. I originally was keeping stuff under the back seat, but room was running out and have kids car seats in there doesn't make it quick to access something like 1 small ratchet strap.

I had to d ring style tie downs from a mod I was going to do to my old trrailer, so I ended up getting some new hardware and mounted them in the bed, using the ammo cans as tool boxes and the way to measure the spacing.

As you can see I, I always carry water as well (especially being a desert dweller). I have a old NATO can style mount I was thinking of putting in the empty space across from the water for the occasional time I may want to carry extra fuel, but I'm not yet sure if I want to bolt that it or not.

For the most part, I got the "new" brush guard assembled yesterday. I'll post some photos and info later today. I'm sneaking in this post just before I run out the door to do some wedding planning and fishing. (If I didn't mention it before, when the family went up north for Christmas celebrations, I popped the question, and in front of the GMC as a matter of fact :smiley_drive: )

kylevd23

Observer
Hi Zmajic, not sure how good these are, but ran across them on ebay, maybe some one can chime in on the quality, but may fit the bill, they swing out.

what kind of brush guard did you get?

kylevd23

Observer
I'll check out the swing cases, thanks!

The guard I have to still mount is a Westin.

Awesome, let me know how you like it, I've been debating on the Westin grill guard winch mount or a bumper, but would love feedback on the build and quality of yours.

wrmmt

Adventurer
Nice pictures from the trip report! Like the build so far, did something similar with my water/fuel can mounts, might have to borrow the ammo can holders for some spare gear...

ZMagic97

Explorer
So, last Sunday I actually got the parts for the "new" brush guard set out in the garage and attempted to get it all assembled. There were no instructions and I could only hope it was all there, but I spent $50 so I can't complain.

It went pretty well, and figuring out what hardware went where wasn't too difficult. After about and hour I got it all together. The clear packing tape has been on the front rubber "bumpers" for a long time, so I need to scrub the residue off with an adhesive remover. Either way, it is almost all done. I put it in my shed for now until I get time to swap them out. The driver's side light cover isn't attached as I need hardware for it. I'll run to Lowe's and grab it soon.

Again, there are no instructions so I have some brackets that I need to figure out where to place. I think I have it figured out, but I may have to use the lower brackets from the old one to get this new one on. Then, I can get new brackets from etrailer and put the old one on my Silverado.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Great updates thanks for sharing. Love the truck and the family fun you're having. (And congrats on the wedding! )

Those tool swing outs seem great but some of the reviews highlight something pretty key IMO- you can't access them without turning them. So if you have a fully loaded bed or a drawer system you wouldn't be able to get into them. Just thought I would pass on what I read...seemed ingenious initially. But as with anything YMMV. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/reviews/B001B7TT1M

ZMagic97

Explorer
Great updates thanks for sharing. Love the truck and the family fun you're having. (And congrats on the wedding! )

Those tool swing outs seem great but some of the reviews highlight something pretty key IMO- you can't access them without turning them. So if you have a fully loaded bed or a drawer system you wouldn't be able to get into them. Just thought I would pass on what I read...seemed ingenious initially. But as with anything YMMV. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/reviews/B001B7TT1M

Thanks! And yeah, I think I'm going to stick with the ammo can storage for now. I like everything to have as much versatility and ease of use as possible. Also, it's getting hot out, so my work on the truck will become less and less in a quick manner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94