2006 Frontier LE - "First Truck"

sasssysloth

I've lurked these forums for a bit for inspo and help with fixes so i figured it was time to post up my build thread as I plan to continue to do more and more with my frontier and this would be a great place to document it all! This is my first truck as i've always owned Subarus which i've loved but I wanted something a little smaller than your normal trucks and thought the frontier was perfect. My first vehicle was a 1995 Nissan Pathfinder given to me by my grandpa so I was happy to be getting back to Nissan's.

Meet my 2006 Frontier LE in Black!

On the lot - Sept 2020

Loved the LE options of the sunroof, heated seats and upgraded sound system (even for a 2006 in 2020)

Day I brought it home

First things first was the grille. Had to go black and went for a tan colour emblem.

Next up was to paint some steelies black

little snow and some yellow LED fog lights with the yellow overlay

Both my old subaru and the truck ( I gave my subaru to my girlfriend for a few months until we moved)

Next I was SUPER LUCKY / kinda persuaded someone selling their truck with a cap to just sell me the cap for a killer, $500! Back window didn't lock and was missing the window but I fixed that no problem and well worth the $500 hustle

We then picked up and moved from Ontario to Victoira, BC in March of 2021. Time for a change of pace and lifestyle.

and she did great! No issues for the whole 5000km trip. (Sorta, I mean ABS sensor issues but i'll get into that below)

Little camp adventures in Tofino now that it's only a couple hours away!

In its current form!

Haven't had the best luck with this girl from day one. issue after issue because the last owners either didn't take care of it which it seemed like or I got it as a lot was breaking. In the first 3 months of owning it I did
-front tie rod
-fuel level sensor and gas tank straps
-brake line front pass
-oil pressure sensor
-spark plugs
-crank shaft pulley + belt + crank bolt + belt tensioner
-Battery
- ABS Module (This was a nightmare and Im still dealing with the demons. I got the rear right ABS sensor changed and thought all was good but the lights came back on. My mechanic fought and fought with the truck for weeks before ruling it was the ABS module... great. Then I come to find its discontinued from Nissan so even better... No ABS, traction or 4x4.. in the winter lol but thankfully my mechanic knew a place who rebuilt my module for $600 and it WORKED! a lot cheaper than a new one too. To this day im still dealing with a rear right abs sensor but I think it's a wiring issue I need to get checked over here and with a new shop. I just want 4x4 and my dash to not be a Christmas tree!

What I want to do next
  • Lift of course (I don't have the budget or need for anything crazy, just a little more clearance so Im thinking RC 2.5 spacer/1.5 rear shackle) I just replaced my rear shocks with RC and the fronts are starting to squeek so I might need new front shocks/struts soon (IDEAS WHERE I SHOULD GO WITH SUSENSION ON A BUDGET??)
  • Deep steelies, I want something like this, I love the look but it's hard to find any that are 6x114. Plus I know i'll probably have to run spacers.

-Front and rear bumpers (Calmini pre runner bumpers would be my ideal go to one day and i'll save up for those but would love a bumper guard like the discontinued Manik one now)
-Just to beef up some parts and make the truck run as smooth as possible.

More to come, thanks for reading along. be nice to people!

sasssysloth

Platform for adventures!

Always loved seeing trucks setup to adventure and camp, right out the back on the truck and that's where I want to take mine. Although I have the short box, I still think it's doable with 2 people (were gonna find out one day) but it's great for a single person!

I live in an apartment so this is my storage unit too. Im wokring on changing that.

I also did make a video on how I built it below!

Im thinking of getting one of those tents that go out the back on the truck and cap to add extra length so we can sleep comfortably.

See ya soon!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Cool start to your build! These trucks are great, just treat it right and they basically go forever. Reminds me an awful lot of the one I had. I like the storage platform, that looks clean. Be fun to watch it develop!

StarliteRambler

Love my 2019. I think yours is from the years that can have the strawberry milkshake of death radiator issue. Most likely it's been addressed already but worth looking into.
Looks great with the cap.:cool:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
StarliteRambler makes a great point, you will want to look into the SMOD and see if that's something that has been addressed. As old as it is, I'll bet it has, but it's good to be sure. You can always bypass the radiator and throw a transmission cooler fan on it if you don't know for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles