2006 Canadian Tacoma Build

heeltoe989

Explorer
I was told in another thread to start my own, and I kinda thought to myself what a good idea. (DUH!) This is my 2006 Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed. My signature will tell you most of the parts that are on the truck but I thought pictures are worth a thousand words. Its been a great build so far.

At the moment I'm working on side rails for the front fenders with shrockworks sliders. Once those are done I will be working on the rear bumper & spare tire carrier for the truck. After that I will be working at tying all those together with a light exo cage and roof rack system with soltek lights on the top of the truck. Hope you guys enjoy the build. There are some killer rigs on this site!

List Of Parts To Date:

Icon front coil-overs With 14"x700lbs King Springs - Extended conversion done - no swaybar
Icon billet upper control arms
Icon res shocks
Total Chaos lower control arm skid plates
Total Chaos spindle gussets
OME Dakar Reg, Springs - Now up graded with extra Leaf.
Custom 1/4 Aluminum skid plates incl gas tank.
ARB Bumper w/ custom D-ring mounts
Warn 9.5xp winch with viking synthetic line & synthetic roller fairlead
2 Baja Designs 4" driving lights
2 Baja Designs 4" spot lights
ARB Air Lockers Front & Back
4:56 Gears - Nitro in front, Precision gear in back.
RCV Tacoma CV joints - Front
TRD Supercharger
AC Delco Supercharger Belt
URD Supercharger Pulley
URD MAP/MAF Calibrator - REMOVED
ARE cold air intake
Doug Thorley long tube headers
Custom Y pipe w magnaflow exhaust
Scan Gauge II with rear view mirror mount
Custom 3 gauge pod on A pillar w/ Autometer ES series - Boost, Oil pressure, Trans temp.
URD LC-1 Wideband Controller, DB-Gauge A/F Ratio Gauge
URD 02 Simulator
Custom Odyssey PC1500 & 2 Optima Red top Battery system, w/ Painless wiring dual battery hook up.
3 Taylor battery boxes
Rubbermaid action packer (large)
Blue Sea Systems - ST Blade Fuse Block 12 Circuit with Negative Bus
Amsoil - All fluids other than transmission.
Super Blue Racing - DOT 4 brake fluid
Walker Evans street locks w/ custom 4" back space.
285-70-17 Cooper STT's (summer tire)
285-70-17 Toyo Open Country GO-2 Plus (winter tire) w/ RUD chains
Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio
Yaesu FT- 2800M radio
Lowrance Baja 540C Navigation unit w/ North America Maps & Ram Mount
Prodigy brake controller
Kenwood DNX-8120 NAV/DVD/MP3/Bluetooth/Ipod
Kenwood Rear View Camera
60" High Lift Jack w/ high lift kit
H3R Performance - HG250R - Red Clean Agent Fire Extinguisher
Leer 100R canopy w/ windoors, lined, front slider, overhead storage bin, color matched.
Shrockworks sliders Line-x coated.
All-Pro off road stainless brake lines
Extended breather line - Axles, transfer case, transmission
3M paint cover on hood and mirrors
Misc recovery gear - ARB straps & tree savers, blocks, D-rings
Hyper-tech Speedo re-calibrator
ARB Fridge/Freezer (new one)
Weather tech floor mats
ARB Simpson III RTT
EBC Front Slotted Rotors & Yellow Pads
Armortech Off-road Rear bumper/ tire carrier
Bear Trax 4x4 - Exo Cage
4x8 Aluminum roof rack - Custom to fit truck exo cage
Viair - Ultra Duty On-Board air system.

Misc stickers of company's that have helped me out with supplying parts and advice.

Hundreds of hours labor, busted knuckles and a WACK load of money, as all you guys know!

Pictures - http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8586&page=25

List Of Parts To Come:

120L inline transfer tank
Heated seats

Last edited:

heeltoe989

Explorer
A few more pictures. I'm doing some engine mods in the future which include a TRD Supercharger, Doug Thorley headers, AFE Cold air intake and a few URD Goodies.

heeltoe989

Explorer
A few pictures of the Alberta Safari 4x4 Park. this is where I do most of my wheeling when I'm not camping and wheeling in the mountains.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Welcome to ExPo - :beer:

Very nice setup, I love the blue. So TRD has a SC ready for the 4.0? That should make an already fast motor scream, especially with some Gadget add-ons.

Good call on getting the 'windoors' for your Leer. Those are the best thing to happen to toppers since fiberglass. Those Walker Evans are really nice lookers too.

Looks cold up there! :REOutCampFire03:

heeltoe989

Explorer
OK! Last picture.

This picture really inspired me the get moving on my truck. This is Scott & Chris from Expeditions West who all of you guys should know here :smiley_drive: entering Alberta on there way to the Arctic. Well done guys!!!!

I guess I should get my butt down to Arizona one day to do some wheeling!

Hope you all enjoy my truck!

heeltoe989

Explorer
kcowyo said:
Welcome to ExPo - :beer:

Very nice setup, I love the blue. So TRD has a SC ready for the 4.0? That should make an already fast motor scream, especially with some Gadget add-ons.

Good call on getting the 'windoors' for your Leer. Those are the best thing to happen to toppers since fiberglass. Those Walker Evans are really nice lookers too.

Looks cold up there! :REOutCampFire03:

Thanks very much! I almost bought a grey Tacoma but I thought at the last minute that I loved the blue. the windoors kick butt and I use them every time I use my canopy or put something in the back.

TRD supercharger is out at the end of the month. I've preordered mine from Shannon at TTORA. Here's a copy of the thread.

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98652

I've always loved the Walker Evens wheels. There just the street locks to keep the DOT approval when I start traveling around.

yeah it gets pretty cold up here, I was out last year doing some wheeling in -35C. Trucks make odd sounds wheeling in that temperature. There's an annual even call the River Shiver http://www.rmlca.ab.ca/rivershiver/ which I will be going on this year if I'm not too busy with work and my new boy.

Last edited:

heeltoe989

Explorer
mountainpete said:
Welcome to ExPo!

Would those skids happen to be the work of Kevin and his gang?

Yup!!!! I'm not very good at fab work yet nor do I have a welder. Ian & Kevin built the skids for my truck and I just supplied the 1/4 Aluminum. I was SO! happy with the fabrication, so Ian does all my fab work. It's almost art what he does. I have the vision and Ian and Kevin make it reality.

ArmyTaco

Observer
Love the truck! Got a question for ya..how did you like the SSr's you had on it before? I remeber you having them on there from TTORA. Thinking bout getting some. Keep up the good work..truck is great.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Very impressive build - sounds like you got the dream suspension for the new Tacoma. Did you notice much "tail leading the dog" when you put the winch on? I am considering a winch for my ARB, but it just seems to jut out so far I am a little hesitant to ruin a good handling truck.

heeltoe989

Explorer
ArmyTaco said:
Love the truck! Got a question for ya..how did you like the SSr's you had on it before? I remeber you having them on there from TTORA. Thinking bout getting some. Keep up the good work..truck is great.

I really liked my SSR's they where really REALLY good off-road but the on-road was a little rough for daily driving and highway use was really bad for mileage and howling. I guess thats what I expected with a swamper.

I went to the coopers cause I wanted to try them out and I really like them every day and in the rain there really good too. I sacrifice off-road traction, but a much better ride for driving around town. I would hesitate to buy my coopers again. If I was building a trail rig only I would go with anything else but swampers.

heeltoe989

Explorer
Schattenjager said:
Very impressive build - sounds like you got the dream suspension for the new Tacoma. Did you notice much "tail leading the dog" when you put the winch on? I am considering a winch for my ARB, but it just seems to jut out so far I am a little hesitant to ruin a good handling truck.

That was one of the big reasons for going with a DC long Bed other than carrying more stuff. The truck gets nice and long so a bit more weight is in the back of the truck, also have the Leer on the back of the truck helps to keeps the nose in check. I only really notice the tail wanting to swap ends under hard breaking in winter time, but a little steering input puts the tail back where it should be. I find my truck handles really really good. I'm very happy with it.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
heeltoe989 said:
Yup!!!! I'm not very good at fab work yet nor do I have a welder. Ian & Kevin built the skids for my truck and I just supplied the 1/4 Aluminum. I was SO! happy with the fabrication, so Ian does all my fab work. It's almost art what he does. I have the vision and Ian and Kevin make it reality.

Reminds me I have to call Kevin again... more Donahoe coilover problems again. Just won't hold a charge.

I'll probably get them to look at my rear bumper plans at the same time :)

heeltoe989

Explorer
mountainpete said:
Reminds me I have to call Kevin again... more Donahoe coilover problems again. Just won't hold a charge.

I'll probably get them to look at my rear bumper plans at the same time :)

funny, the first set of DH coil overs I got from Kevin, the one wouldn't hold a charge. I sent them back and Kevin sent me a new set and this set has been great no problems at all. When I was down a few weeks ago helping Kevin with the Baja race truck he had mentioned to me that he had everything at the shop to charge the coils over too. I'm not sure, but I think he was looking into rebuild kits too. I should call him soon cause he will be down in Baja for about 7 weeks. I think he's leaving in a week or 2.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles